Best Gigs 2009?

miserableoldgit

Metallica were absolutely f * cking superb at the O2 on 2 March. Easily the best so far.

They really are playing with a renewed and infectious energy and clearly loving their music - it's there for all to see. The new songs are going down great and they're also mixing up the old stuff and keeping everyone guessing on about half of the set I'd say. They played songs I never expected to hear again including Damage Inc (which nearly broke my neck), Holier Than Thou and Phantom Lord. Superb and I'm looking forward to seeing them again at the end of the month and in July (Madrid). Keeping my fingers crossed for Dyers Eve and Shortest Straw at at least one of those and I haven't heard Sanitarium live for years.

Support for Metallica:

Machine Head, who have been so good when I've seen them before suffered from really poor sound and were disappointing.

The Sword, who I didn't know at all, were excellent and I will be buying their albums.

Metallica were absolutely f * cking superb at the O2 on 2 March. Easily the best so far.

They really are playing with a renewed and infectious energy and clearly loving their music - it's there for all to see. The new songs are going down great and they're also mixing up the old stuff and keeping everyone guessing on about half of the set I'd say. They played songs I never expected to hear again including Damage Inc (which nearly broke my neck), Holier Than Thou and Phantom Lord. Superb and I'm looking forward to seeing them again at the end of the month and in July (Madrid). Keeping my fingers crossed for Dyers Eve and Shortest Straw at at least one of those and I haven't heard Sanitarium live for years.

Support for Metallica:

Machine Head, who have been so good when I've seen them before suffered from really poor sound and were disappointing.

The Sword, who I didn't know at all, were excellent and I will be buying their albums.

They played Sanitarium at Reading last year was superb. From what my mate says Sword are a band that Lars really likes

Edited by saint_bert

They played songs I never expected to hear again including Damage Inc (which nearly broke my neck), Holier Than Thou and Phantom Lord.

Sounds like they swap the set around then because they played none of those at Sheffield in a 2 and a half hour set only 2 days earlier. They played Battery, Am I evil? and Sad But True, alongside the standards plus most of the new album. I loved the changeover from Nothing Else Matters to Sandman and the intro to One was flipping awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like they swap the set around then because they played none of those at Sheffield in a 2 and a half hour set only 2 days earlier. They played Battery, Am I evil? and Sad But True, alongside the standards plus most of the new album. I loved the changeover from Nothing Else Matters to Sandman and the intro to One was flipping awesome.

Having seen a few set lists, they are definitely mixing it up which is fantastic. Having said that I do wish they would drop Sandman, play less covers (I think they're playing at least a couple each night - they don't need to do this but they clearly enjoy it, so can't complain), maybe at least one less from the new album and plenty more stuff from Justice but this really is nit-picking though. Awesome awesome live band and cannot wait until Saturday.

In case you don't already know (I think I saw somewhere you're going), there is no tube to the O2 on Saturday (well done London Underground, you c*cks). Check the website for alternatives.

Metallica also brilliant again at the O2. Some real gems in the set this time, including The Outlaw Torn, Hit The Lights, Harvester Of Sorrow and AJFA. Was right at the front and now deaf with serious neck ache today. James Hetfield is the dog's doo daas.

Machine Head sounded terrible again. Sword decent.

I went to a gig last night which wasn't the best of the year but its one i'll remember.

I was comparing at this last night http://www.railwaylive.co.uk/mirrormanlineup.html

Gary Numan at the railway inn! He was djing with his mate and they played a slightly above average goth set (loads of NIN, prodigy etc) which was fun for a while.

Much much better were Scarlet Soho and Jayetal, both ruled with a glove of iron.

Metallica also brilliant again at the O2. Some real gems in the set this time, including The Outlaw Torn, Hit The Lights, Harvester Of Sorrow and AJFA. Was right at the front and now deaf with serious neck ache today. James Hetfield is the dog's doo daas.

I must have been right near you. Indeed they were awesome. Couldnt believe my luck when they played Harvester of Sorrow, my personal favourite tune. 11/10

Harvester is also one of my favourites. I think Justice might actually now be my favourite album (by any band). Either that or Puppets anyway.

Also, Fight Fire With Fire was top notch. Can't wait to see them again in Madrid. Hoping the support is someone different though, maybe Down.

Looks like they are swapping the set list every night. We did not get Harvester or Hit the lights or AJFA. Had Creeping death, Blackened, Ride the Lightning.

I really want to see metallica again, but none of my mates like 'em, personally the best gig i have ever been to was metallica at the St Anger tour ages ago at the other arena in London (can't remember the bloody name) not wembley.

Can't wait for enemy this thurs it's gonna be awesome !! Saw them before supporting Stereophonics (who also never fail to disapoint)

• 2 weeks later...

AC/DC superb at the O2. Thought The Answer were a bit cr*p though. AC/DC truly excellent though and played most of the old classics (and a couple too many new tunes, which were only ok).

Definitely prefer the 'in the round' set up (a la Metallica @ O2) to the conventional one for the AC/DC gig though.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Megadeth and Testament were ace last weekend. Judas Priest were sh*t though.

Yep I would agree with that...................very disappointed with the Priest selection......still the beer was good !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Testament were my favs on the night

Enemy were quality this year, proper stadium band, nothing special but after a few beers they can get the place rocking. Also seeing Weller soon (absolute god of Mod) and also cannot wait for a bit of frankie boyle (though thats next f'n year)

And i expect the phonics will release more tour dates soon