Off Camera Flash help...

Pancake

OK, so Ive got a Canon 400D and a Sigma EF 500DG flash gun but Ive never really used it (got it second hand).

Basically, I want to have the flash set up off to the side for some portrait and still life work, but ive got no idea what I need to link the 2 bits together as cheaply as I can.

Any help?

Can you not trigger it from the on camera flash? If not you may have to get a sync lead which are not very expensive. It will fit on the hotshoe and connect to the flash.

I really only want to have the external flash fired. ive tried usingf the Sigma as a slave and the onboard as a master to fire it, but the results just dont look pleasing.

Budget is king - as with all camera equipment :(

But, it might be worth splashing out on something like this if you're gonna use it lots....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Dedicated-Off-Camera-Shoe-Adapter/dp/B0000C4G7M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235572617&sr=8-5

Yeah, was looking at the Canon leads... not sure I can justify the cash for that.

Might have a look at some PT04 triggers from Hong Kong that I saw on eBay.