Help me decide

Weston Super Saint

My next lens purchase is going to be a big one.....

Big in terms of length and cost!!

I am currently considering the Canon 100-400 IS L at a whopping £850.

However I'm also thinking of the Bigma 50-500 at about £650.

Frankly for the photography I'm interested in, size is important - well length really....

I've read numerous reports on both lenses, and am swaying towards the Canon because it is 'L' series, and the Bigma seems to be less sharp over 300mm.

Anyone got any recommendations, or experience of the above, or even recommend a different lens that I've not yet considered?

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.

The only problem as I see it is that you will be disappointed by every subsequent lens purchase unless you're spending over two grand.

Combine it with a 2× extender if you really need 400mm.

That is an amazing price btw. I paid £760 for mine and not seen one going that cheap since.

Edited by Al de Man

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.

The only problem as I see it is that you will be disappointed by every subsequent lens purchase unless you're spending over two grand.

Combine it with a 2× extender if you really need 400mm.

That is an amazing price btw. I paid £760 for mine and not seen one going that cheap since.

That's the thing, I won't need a lens that 'fast' as I'll always be shooting - certainly at those distances - during daylight hours.

I already have the canon 70-200 f/4 and have been considering a 2x extender, as I'm not sure I'll get on with the push pull of the 100-400...

You can rent a 100-400 for £35/day to see if it's up to the job and whether you like it. Calumet have a store in Bristol.

Alternatively, I have a 2× extender you can try with your 70-200 if you're ever down in Southampton, but are you going to get away with a maximum aperture of f/8?

That's why I'm suggesting the combination with the 70-200 f/2.8 because you'll be able to achieve a maximum f/5.6, which matches the long end of the 100-400mm.

You can rent a 100-400 for £35/day to see if it's up to the job and whether you like it. Calumet have a store in Bristol.

Alternatively, I have a 2× extender you can try with your 70-200 if you're ever down in Southampton, but are you going to get away with a maximum aperture of f/8?

That's why I'm suggesting the combination with the 70-200 f/2.8 because you'll be able to achieve a maximum f/5.6, which matches the long end of the 100-400mm.

Been in Southampton now for over a year - before that Welsh Wales, just never got round to changing my name...

Think I'm gonna pop into Jessops and have a play around with a lens in there - then tell them it's crap no matter what I think, as there is no way I'm paying their prices :shock:

Been in Southampton now for over a year - before that Welsh Wales, just never got round to changing my name...

Think I'm gonna pop into Jessops and have a play around with a lens in there - then tell them it's crap no matter what I think, as there is no way I'm paying their prices :shock:

As has already been mentioned in this forum, if you choose to buy any third party manufactured lens, try the sample itself in the shop before you buy it; distance-buying a Sigma/Tamron/Tokina is a big risk.