Camera for Travel

toofarnorth

Get the Kodak M883, its compact, stylish and takes really good photos. I took this traveling and its been superb! Cant fault it! Is on Amazon for £195, is on Ebay brand new with 4Gb card for £83ish on Buy it Now! Insane!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KODAK-M883-S-8-2MP-DIGITAL-VIDEO-CAMERA-5-BONUS-4GB_W0QQitemZ110284746997QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31388QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Get the Kodak M883, its compact, stylish and takes really good photos. I took this traveling and its been superb! Cant fault it! Is on Amazon for £195, is on Ebay brand new with 4Gb card for £83ish on Buy it Now! Insane!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KODAK-M883-S-8-2MP-DIGITAL-VIDEO-CAMERA-5-BONUS-4GB_W0QQitemZ110284746997QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31388QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

That does look good value - it is refurbished though, but I wouldn't let that put me off - and comes with a whole load of extras.

The best 'compact' I had was a Kodak Easyshare, but it wasn't really 'compact' so I bought a Canon Ixus. The Kodak took much better pictures.

I am going for a spot of travelling next year and am looking into getting a camera. I need quite a compact digital camera for around £100, thats quite durable and has a great battery life. Any suggestions would be appreciated as it seems the choice is endless.

I like the Panansonic Lumix DMC range.

They have plenty of features and pre-set options.

The back LCD screen is massive (3" diagonal).

And most of all... a great Zoom Lens... x10 (from a wide 28mm)

one down-side is no view-finder, you use the live-view on the LCD screen.

Apart from that... a great camera.

Bought one for the wife, very versatile to use when out and about, and you have not packed the DSLR...

Fujifilm FinePix F50fd

This is my pocket camera.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UUJGW8/ref=nosim/2009-digital-camera-05-21

£125.00

12 megapixel Super CCD HR VII and Real Photo Processor II

Wide view 2.7-inch high resolution screen

World’s most advanced hardware-based Face Detection technology (2.0)

Portrait Enhancer and automatic red-eye removal

25MB internal memory plus xD-Picture card, SD and SDHC compatibility

ISO 100-6400

3.0x optical zoom

Playback features including Face Zoom and Micro Thumbnail (100 shot) view

IR Communication (IR simple)

VGA movie capture of 30 frames per second with sound

PictBridge™ compatible for direct printing without a PC

Product Dimensions: 23 x 93 x 59 cm ; 155 g

Boxed-product Weight: 908 g

Steve is spot on with the Fuji there...

I have a Panansonic Lumix DMC, its ok but the flash is bizarre, the camera works better with it switched off in the dark. Has loads of functions i dont have a clue what they do, but it takes pictures and i can upload them to my pc, which is neat.

Mental. Mental. Mental.

Im guessing the ISO has a super setting, like say 3200, meaning you dont always need a flash to obtain sufficiently fast shutter speeds in low light to avoid motion blur. If you do use the flash, the camera will, probably, utilise a lower ISO setting (around 200 or 400) and you will get less "grain" and noise in the photo.

Im guessing the ISO has a super setting, like say 3200, meaning you dont always need a flash to obtain sufficiently fast shutter speeds in low light to avoid motion blur. If you do use the flash, the camera will, probably, utilise a lower ISO setting (around 200 or 400) and you will get less "grain" and noise in the photo.

3200? Pah. I see the new Canon 50D has been announced with a maximum ISO of 12800!!!! :o:smt048

3200? Pah. I see the new Canon 50D has been announced with a maximum ISO of 12800!!!! :o:smt048

Wha....? Thats just stupid! Im sure the 50D is going to be an APS-C CMOS sensor size, so that is, frankly, going to be ridiculous! The algorithms to smooth the image with that level of noise will render the image useless to anyone but average snappers... stupid Canon.

Well I wouldn't be so quick to comment... i'll wait until I've seen examples first. I don't know all the details but i doubt they'd put it in if the noise was that bad. Chuck Westfall of Canon has apparently said that the noise reduction in the 50D is "a stop to a stop and half better than the 40D."

We'll see.

Edited by Minty

Well I wouldn't be so quick to comment... i'll wait until I've seen examples first. I don't know all the details but i doubt they'd put it in if the noise was that bad. Chuck Westfall of Canon has apparently said that the noise reduction in the 50D is "a stop to a stop and half better than the 40D."

We'll see.

But this is the same company that said the IQ of the 400D would be better than the 350, even with the extra pixels.

And the same company that market their entry level DSLR, the 1000D at a higher price then the next step up DSLR , the 450D... :D

But, you are right, we will see. Probably just jealousy on my part. :smt082