If you could recommend one book....

Redbul

My eldest nipper has never been a bookworm; suffice to say I don't think he has ever read a book cover to cover for the sheer escapism of it, just for his GCSEs.

We were talking the other day and I said to him that if he only ever read one book in his life it should be Orwell's 1984, my reasons to him being that its basic tenets were timeless and many of its dystopian themes could resonate quite strongly now.

I know many of you will disagree with my choice, so what book would you recommend and why?

I think i'm roughly your son's age, and I really enjoy Stephen King books. However, that doesn't appeal to everyone, so maybe ask him what he likes? Is he into music? If so, auto/biographies may be a bit more up his street.

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean recommend to him, what I meant was recommend a book in the Desert Island Discs kind of way; a book that has really made an impact on you that you think someone else would really enjoy and benefit from reading.

Not dissing Stephen King, I've read tons of his stuff and I've really got a lot of time for some of his stories.

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean recommend to him, what I meant was recommend a book in the Desert Island Discs kind of way; a book that has really made an impact on you that you think someone else would really enjoy and benefit from reading.

Not dissing Stephen King, I've read tons of his stuff and I've really got a lot of time for some of his stories.

Ahh right! My bad! :D

I'm going to go for a slightly less obvious one than those I was thinking of initially (Great Gatsby, Catch 22, Crime and Punishment, The Outsider) and go for 'Norwegian Wood' by Haruki Murakami. It's just really pretty. That's how I'd describe it.

My eldest nipper has never been a bookworm; suffice to say I don't think he has ever read a book cover to cover for the sheer escapism of it, just for his GCSEs.

We were talking the other day and I said to him that if he only ever read one book in his life it should be Orwell's 1984, my reasons to him being that its basic tenets were timeless and many of its dystopian themes could resonate quite strongly now.

I know many of you will disagree with my choice, so what book would you recommend and why?

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell

Because it is a great eye opener as to why Trade Unions came into existence but it's a great novel too - not at all dull.

Because it is a great eye opener as to why Trade Unions came into existence but it's a great novel too - not at all dull.

That's a good shout BTF....I read this a few years ago.

There are some top recommendations here, I can see me ittying off to Ikea for a couple more Billy's at this rate!!!! Thanks all!!!!

Great choice and it would have been mine as well.

I've always enjoyed of mice and men, animal farm and lord of the flies. If I had to choose it would be animal farm.

Grapes of wrath maybe in that list? Definitely fits in.

Yes, Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is superb. Have you tried Emile Zola's "Germinal"? It's pretty much the French version and excellent. Mind you it is about 700 pages of sheer unremitting poverty and struggle during a french miner's strike but as a story it's gripping.

I'll post my revised recommendation when I've had a proper think about it.

Well I've had a think and can't really narrow it down to just one so instead I'll list a few.

Lord of the Rings - I loved this as a teenager, it was the first book I cared about, and must have read it about 4 or 5 times. Tried to read it after a gap of 15 years or so when the first film came out and just couldn't get on with it at all. It just seemed really dense and impentetreble but I'll include it as at the time I just couldn't put it down.

One flew over the cuckoo's nest - Just brilliant and even if you've seen the film first it doesn't matter. The characters (particularly the Chief and Harding) are much better in the book and the ending is more uplifting.

Wild Swans - Fantastic account of three generations of chinese women.

Sophie's world - great introduction to western philosophy and although it might be a bit simplistic it really made me want to explore further.

The Stand - I like this one better than any other King book. Good fun if you like post apocalyptic nightmares.

Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham books are really easy to read and if I'm not in the mood to concentrate much then this is the ideal kind of book to pick up. It's even better if you've seen the BBC TV series before.

Harry and the Dinosaurs - Pretty much sums up the human condition and poses all the big questions. It does require a lot of effort on the part of the reader and shouldn't be approached lightly. I think most readers will see it on a par with Ulysses but believe me if you get to the end then it's really worth it.

One flew over the cuckoo's nest - Just brilliant and even if you've seen the film first it doesn't matter. The characters (particularly the Chief and Harding) are much better in the book and the ending is more uplifting.

Just finished this. Was really good.

I would have to include the recently finished trilogy by Conn Iggulden, Wolf of the Plains, Lords of the bow and Bones of the hills, The tale of Gengis Kahn. Like Bernard Cornwall he brings history to life.

Another trilogy I can recomend is by Robyn Young, Bretheren, Crusade and Requiem, all about the Templar Knights in the holy land and beyond.

Harry and the Dinosaurs - Pretty much sums up the human condition and poses all the big questions. It does require a lot of effort on the part of the reader and shouldn't be approached lightly. I think most readers will see it on a par with Ulysses but believe me if you get to the end then it's really worth it.

My mother bought these for my 3-year-old son this Easter. Harry and the Robots brought a tear to the eye.

I would have to include the recently finished trilogy by Conn Iggulden, Wolf of the Plains, Lords of the bow and Bones of the hills, The tale of Gengis Kahn. Like Bernard Cornwall he brings history to life.

What? This is a trilogy? I just got hold of Lords of the Bow and was about to start reading it, but I won't bother yet if it's the second part of a trilogy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ken Follet - the pillars of the earth

Ken Follet - world without end

http://www.ken-follett.com/bibliography/world_without_end.html

What I was gonna say! Halfway through pillars of the earth now - amazing. And the other one is waiting for me at the end too. :)

Previously, Angels & Demons was best book I read, Dan Brown.

Love the Shannara Series too, similar to Lord of the Rings type stuff.

Great shout - great book - although considered a must for all left wing politicos, its far more a tale of social injustice and struggle and is as such 'apolitical' . Good values, good read... but a hefty one... ;-)

Great shout - great book - although considered a must for all left wing politicos' date=' its far more a tale of social injustice and struggle and is as such 'apolitical' . Good values, good read... but a hefty one... ;-)[/quote']

Hmm, not sure about all these votes for TRTP. It is definitely an important book and ought to be widely read, but it's one-paced and worthy and clumsily written. If I was recommended that as one book to be my introduction to the joys of reading, well I probably wouldn't take to this reading lark.

Hmm, not sure about all these votes for TRTP. It is definitely an important book and ought to be widely read, but it's one-paced and worthy and clumsily written. If I was recommended that as one book to be my introduction to the joys of reading, well I probably wouldn't take to this reading lark.

I know what you mean - for pure joys ofreading anything by Christopher Brookmyre should hook him Funny, clever etc..