Worst song, ever! (FACT!)

the stain

What is it then? And I don't just mean pop crap that got under your skin for the 5 minutes it was in the charts. I mean enduringly terrible hokum. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think a bad song that takes itself seriously is infinitely worse than any throwaway faff could ever be. For me it's a choice between:

Hotel California - The Eagles

American Pie - Don McLean

Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn

Actually, looking at those I've seen a connection I never noticed before...

stairway to heaven - led zep (the rest of their stuff is alright)

ironic - alanis morrisette (dire on every imaginable level)

have a nice day - stereophonics (t e d i o u s)

beautiful day - U2 (a painfully dry w*nk)

the worst song ever is actually a piece of pop fluff but one which could potentially kill millions of people prematurely.

the fast food rockers should be publicly castrated and forced to eat their deep fried genitals for their crimes against the planet. and the record is poo.

Can you explain this bit. That song was written about his child being ill in hospital and eventually pulling through. I've always thought it was quite well written.

You've got wires goin in,

You've got wires going .......

The song is sung so slow on the firsdt lsiten I fgured out the next line of the song before he'sd sung the first. Also rhyming corridors with automatic doors is poor. If my kid was in a coma I'd like to spend more than 30 secs writing the lyrics about it.

The connection between all these songs is that they have been hits, or cult classics, or downright chart busters. They're accepted songs by all and sundry. We're meant to like them. We're a bit odd if we don't like them. So when we hear them it's like my reaction to the first few bars of Eastenders or Coronation Street, i.e. a race for the volume control or off-switch before my brain explodes with mediocrity.

I draw the line with Stairway..., but you can throw the rest in the bin. Even so, I wouldn't call them the worst songs ever.

My nomination for Songs You're Supposed To Like Because Everyone Does, But You Don't is: Hot Love - T Rex.Overrated bilge.

But there's thousands more.

EDIT: Have to say, The Stain's nomination of Hotel California is right on the money. The Eagles were at the height of their mediocrity, sorry popularity, at the time. Millions bought the album, and it was wall to wall HC. I've always thought it to be pretentious nonsense.

I loathe the line: ...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave... Yuck..!

Never mind. There are millions who still love it. Not me though.

Edited by St Landrew

You've got wires goin in,

You've got wires going .......

The song is sung so slow on the firsdt lsiten I fgured out the next line of the song before he'sd sung the first. Also rhyming corridors with automatic doors is poor. If my kid was in a coma I'd like to spend more than 30 secs writing the lyrics about it.

Fair enough.

What is it then? And I don't just mean pop crap that got under your skin for the 5 minutes it was in the charts. I mean enduringly terrible hokum. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think a bad song that takes itself seriously is infinitely worse than any throwaway faff could ever be. For me it's a choice between:

Hotel California - The Eagles

American Pie - Don McLean

Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn

Actually, looking at those I've seen a connection I never noticed before...

One of the greatest songs ever! it's amazing, May you rot in hell!!!!

One of the greatest songs ever! it's amazing, May you rot in hell!!!!

That's a bit stiff :o

And of course you're completely wrong. Music is a subjective thing, except in this instance.

Plodding cod-reggae? Check.

Soulless MOR drug bores? Check.

Song about being soulless MOR drug bores? Check.

Time stretching to eternal dusty tedium? Check.

It couldn't be worse if it had set out trying.

That's a bit stiff :o

And of course you're completely wrong. Music is a subjective thing, except in this instance.

Plodding cod-reggae? Check.

Soulless MOR drug bores? Check.

Song about being soulless MOR drug bores? Check.

Time stretching to eternal dusty tedium? Check.

It couldn't be worse if it had set out trying.

It could've been sung through one of those posh spice voice box things.

I would argue some Beatles song are rather crap. Particularly Strawberry Fields Forever and Yellow Submarine (which is my nomination for worst song ever). Had it been any other band it would have been dissmissed offhand!

Also pretty much anything by Bon Jovi.

You're all wrong, it is clearly Rollin' by Limp Bizkit.

For proof see exhibit a)

Now I know ya'll be lovin this **** right here

L.I.M.P Bizkit is right here

People in the house with them hands in the air

Cause if you don't care then we don't care

One two three time zoom to the 6

Jonesin for you picks of the Limp Bizkit mix

So where the **** you at punk?

Shut the **** up

And back the **** up

Before we **** this track up

Exhibit b)

limp-bizkit-colour28.jpg

Never Met a Girl Live You Before - Edwyn Collins

That is without doubt the most horrible horrible horrible song to listen to. It is almost un-listen-to-able.

That horrible scratchy sound after every line "now you've got me rocking, rocking on the floor" - Aaaaack-Aaaaaack-Aaaaack-Aaaaack-Aaaaack-Aak-Aak, is the very worst bit, but the bit after "now you come a long" - Bowwwwwwwwwwwwwwn - "Yes you come along" - Bowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn is the second worst part.

Everything else in it is also horrible. The lyrics, the singing, the backing singing, everything. It really is the worst song ever,

Other bad artists include Counting Crows, Phil Collins, Eva Cassidy (she just sings so f*cking slowly!) Robbie Williams, Nickleback (who are truely horrible) and the guy who died who sang Addicted to Love.

You're all wrong, it is clearly Rollin' by Limp Bizkit.

For proof see exhibit a)

Now I know ya'll be lovin this **** right here

L.I.M.P Bizkit is right here

People in the house with them hands in the air

Cause if you don't care then we don't care

One two three time zoom to the 6

Jonesin for you picks of the Limp Bizkit mix

So where the **** you at punk?

Shut the **** up

And back the **** up

Before we **** this track up

Exhibit b)

limp-bizkit-colour28.jpg

Too late 8)

One Day Like This by Elbow. Populist ,wave your hands in the air,standing up to knees in mud,singalong,whoo we're at a festival ********.

Apart from standing in mud (which some people enjoy anyway) you do know that all of those statements don't really have a pejorative sense unless you are a depressing little c*nt desperate to prove something to make up for a lack of genuine personality, don't you?

Never Met a Girl Live You Before - Edwyn Collins

That is without doubt the most horrible horrible horrible song to listen to. It is almost un-listen-to-able.

That horrible scratchy sound after every line "now you've got me rocking, rocking on the floor" - Aaaaack-Aaaaaack-Aaaaack-Aaaaack-Aaaaack-Aak-Aak, is the very worst bit, but the bit after "now you come a long" - Bowwwwwwwwwwwwwwn - "Yes you come along" - Bowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn is the second worst part.

Everything else in it is also horrible. The lyrics, the singing, the backing singing, everything. It really is the worst song ever,

Other bad artists include Counting Crows, Phil Collins, Eva Cassidy (she just sings so f*cking slowly!) Robbie Williams, Nickleback (who are truely horrible) and the guy who died who sang Addicted to Love.

I'd have to agree with 'girl like you' - I hated it and couldn't understand the attraction. I always lump it in with 'Because you're gorgeous' by Babybird (I think) probably because they were out around the same time. Anyway I hate both.

Similarly I've never liked any Red hot Chilli Peppers songs either. I also annoy people by continuing to think Foo Fighters are just a modern day Bon Jovi.

My worst song has to be 'More than words' by Extreme. Pretentious twaddle that makes me want to throw up over the lead singer again and again and again.

Apart from standing in mud (which some people enjoy anyway) you do know that all of those statements don't really have a pejorative sense unless you are a depressing little c*nt desperate to prove something to make up for a lack of genuine personality, don't you?

lol !