Carlisle on the train

Me & a few others are planning on making this trecherous journey by train. I've looked at a few examples of fares & it looks like the cheapest way of doing it is by buying a seperate return ticket to Manchester Piccadily & then another seperate return journey ticket from there to Carlisle. This works out at about £48 if using a railcard compared to the £80 return if you go via London Euston on the Virgin service to Glasgow.

If anybody else can find ways of making it even cheaper to get there on the train post it here!

Try looking at Birmingham or Coventry and then up. I know some Carlisle fans who live in Northampton and I'm sure they go from one of these two to get there.

Looking at it Birmingham is a better bet than Manchester even if it is £5 dearer. The train back from Carlisle to Manchester arrives at the same time the last direct train leaves from Manchester to Southampton leaving seconds to get from platform to platform, going to Birmingham gives us 10 mins to change platforms.

Cheers for the info!

We have booked train tickets london euston to manchester pic for the Huddersfield game, were hoping to do the same for carlise. Or something similar..... Or fly from Southampton to Newcastle and get train.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Pay the extra for the comfort and go direct from Southampton with no changes.

No such service I'm afraid. At least 1 and often 3 changes are needed.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Stu is going by private limo hire.

Would that be driven by a scrounging student moonlighting to top up his student beer loan?

Me and the spouse were thinking of making a long weekend of it. Watch the footy and then spend the rest of the weekend wandering around the lakes and stuff. Glad this match is in September and not on a Tuesday in January.

I get up to London that early every day during the week - there's no chance I'll be doing that on a Saturday! I've been looking at a slightly later train up there, probably arriving in Carlisle for about 12.30, with a return on the Sunday at lunchtime.

It's costing Me fifteen grand!.

I am coming from Melbourne though!.

The wife's family come from near there (Whitehaven).

Does Cumbrian Saint know if the 'Oily Johnnies' pub still exists?. People here don't believe there's such a place.

All booked up, Euston at 8.30, gets into Carlisle just before 12.

Itenary for ladysaint:

Southampton Central 06.00 to London Waterloo arrive 07.31

Tube to London Euston

London Euston 08.30 to Carlisle arrive 11.46

Carlisle 17.52 to London Euston arrive 21.47

Tube to London Waterloo

London Waterloo 22.35 to Southampton Central arrive 23.49

Cost:

Southampton to Waterloo - £20.35

Euston to Carlisle - £18.50

Tube ticket - £5.60?

Total - £44.45

Edited by saints_is_the_south

I have had a look myself and reckon that I can get it for £40 by buying two singles, leave Soton at 6 a.m. via Euston the only drawback is that you leave Carlisle at 9.00 pm on the Saturday evening and spend the night on the train arriving back in Southampton at 0700 hours the next morning.

I have booked four places on the train at £28 each return from Euston by booking two single journeys which work out cheaper, just hope they dont now chanage the date of the match and getting the 1752 train from Carlisle back to Euston so no overnighter.

OK, no 17:52 option showing to return - have you buggers all filled it up already!?

I can still see it. Are you searching for Soton to Carlisle? You need to book the two 'legs' seperately. i.e. Book Soton to London, and then London Euston to Carlisle.