SWF Mixtape Vol 6 -Rattlehead

Pancake

• 3 weeks later...

I think when you take a subset of society (Saints fans), take a subset of that (Saints Web posters) a subset of that (ones that venture over from the Main Board) a subset of that (ones that use Spotify) you then end up with a farking small amount.

Anyway back on topic, I hadnt heard that Biohazard song in ages. Ive got the cassette of Urban Disclipine somewhere so was really nice to hear it again. Wasnt too keen on Alter Bridge, Cancer Bats or Candlemass. "Props" for putting an awesome Pantera song on there, plus the classic Anthrax and Megadeth tracks. Was surprised by the Distrurbed track as I dont normally liek them. Nice trio of SOAD related songs too. Death Angel rock.

True enough Pancake. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Out of interest: of the SOAD side projects, i.e. Scars and Serj solo, which do you like best? Personally I think Serj is on top. Scars sound good but lyrically poor in my view.

On the 'odd version of One', true dat, but I love it - what did you think? I would suggest it is worth checking out Rodrigo y Gabriela - Mexican ex metallers who play only acoustic instrumental stuff now but whose influences include Metallica and Led Zep (they also play a cover of Orion and Stairway). Gabriela's rhythm guitar needs to be seen to be believed - she's almost a drummer and guitarist in one go (both on the guitar) - she is awesome. I'd recommend checking it out on youtube.

There are more metallers on here though. Ponty? saint bert?

• 2 weeks later...

Have only really just started listening to rhe mix tapes. Actually Rattleheads is the only one. Really enjoyed it. I though you might have snuck a Metallica (not a cover)in there but I guess it would have been too obvious

Edited by saint_bert

Have only really just started listening to rhe mix tapes. Actually Tattle heads is the only one. Really enjoyed it. I though you might have snuck a Metallica (not a cover)in there but I guess it would have been too obvious

No 'Tallica on Spotify.

I liked Newstead, hate the new guy, he just does not fit the 'tallica mould, thats all IMO anyways

Rob fits perfectly the mould, the way he plays can easily be related to the was that Cliff played - smooth, flowing and with lead licks. Jason just played plod bass, no style of his own - he basically followed the guitar lines and chords.

Yeah can agree, have not heard the latest offering much TBH, those i have heard though are very good, just disapointed me that his joining coincided with the worst album they have ever done in St Anger, crappy thrashy sh*t.

Used to be an uber fan, saw them twice when i was 16, had the mosh pit bruises for ages. Still, i do agree with his stage presence. I just quite liked Newstead thats all, music is all opinions as we all know, probably not best placed to comment really as i have moved well out of the heavy rock scene now.

Yeah can agree, have not heard the latest offering much TBH, those i have heard though are very good, just disapointed me that his joining coincided with the worst album they have ever done in St Anger, crappy thrashy sh*t.

But Bob Rock played bass on St Anger...:confused:

saint_bert - thanks for your comments. Pancake is right re Metallica otherwise there would surely have been some on there. You should do a mix as well (please).

Smirking, I am impressed by your taste in music but you are wrong IMO re Trujillo - he is great and, as was suggested, a key part to Metallica's recent resurgence (again IMO) and awesome live as well. However, this is no bad reflection on Newsted who was also great but unfortunate to leave when the band was in meltdown (check out Some Kind Of Monster).

Don't know if you've seen it but Newsted played with Trujillo on Metallica's recent induction into the R&R Hall Of Fame - Newsted is a top musician and worthy of huge respect after being treated badly by Lars and James. It seems he is not bitter one iota. They're both great but Trujillo is working right now.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jonny, glad you enjoyed it.

Agree completely re Alter Bridge - seen them a couple of times. A great band. They have a Live In Amsterdam DVD due out next week (as is the new Alice In Chains album, which I can't wait for - what a week), but I can't find it anywhere on Amazon/Play or anywhere else (other than in the US). Please let me know if you find it!

I was there too and was a bit gutted they went for Amsterdam for the DVD instead, didn't know it had gone wrong. One of my favourite gigs ever, for sure. Hot Leg were truly shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite at the though.

On amazon.com, it now says it ships in 1 to 2 months - I hope it hasn't been put back again.

Noooooooo:

http://www.alterbridge.com/html/2009/09/28/alter-bridge-live-from-amsterdam-delayed/