Saddest songs

hamster

What would you say is the saddest song, for you personally?

Can name as many as you want, and no requirement to explain the significance unless you want to.

Maybe someone could find and post the 'official' list from a definitive (hah) source like *Melody Maker, *TOTP Monthly or even "la la lalala Look-In".

*If those magazine titles mean nothing to you, then sorry but you are too young to take part in this thread.

I find Wonderful life quite uplifting.

Mine would be Goodbye to love by the Carpenters.

Probably a couple Carpenters ones on my list, Solitaire and maybe Yseterday Once More. I once saw a Karen Carpenter tribute at the Concorde Club, very accurate potrayal, even made herself sick during the interval.

Probably a couple Carpenters ones on my list, Solitaire and maybe Yseterday Once More. I once saw a Karen Carpenter tribute at the Concorde Club, very accurate potrayal, even made herself sick during the interval.

You bad man! :D

From the Pop Culture Madness site, The Saddest Songs of All Time :

http://www.popculturemadness.com/Music/Sad.html

1. He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones

2. The End of the World - Skeeter Davis

3. Last Kiss - J Frank Wilson (or Pearl Jam)

4. Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton

5. Alone Again, Naturally - Gilbert O Sullivan

6. Concrete Angel - Martina McBride

7. I'll Be There - Escape Club

8. Send In the Clowns - Judy Collins

9. The End of the Road - Boys II Men

10. Hurt So Bad - Little Anthony and the Imperials or Linda Ronstadt

11. It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday - Boyz II Men

12. Teen Angel - Mark Dinning

13. Goodbye To Love - Carpenters

14. Crying - Roy Orbison

15. Cry Me A River - Julie London

16. I'm Not In Love - 10cc

17. Two Beds and a Coffee Machine - Savage Garden

18. Epiphany - Staind

19. I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats

20. Remember (Walkin In the Sand) - Shangri-Las

21. Don't Let it End - Styx

22. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

23. Stole - Kelly Rowland

24. How Do I Live Without You - LeeAnn Rimes

25. Hurt - Johnny Cash or Nine Inch Nails

26. Here Without You- 3 Doors Down

27. Love Hurts - Nazareth

28. Tell Laura I Love Her - Ray Peterson

29. Rainy Days and Mondays - Carpenters

30. I Will Remember You - Sarah McLachlan

31. Nobody Knows - Tony Rich Project

32. Creep - Radiohead

33. Stan - Eminem

34. Going Under - Evanesnece

35. Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin

36. Low - Kelly Clarkson

37. Colorblind - Counting Crows

38. Family Portrait - Pink

39. My Immortal - Evanescence

40. You're Beautiful - James Blunt

41. I Am A Rock - Simon and Garfunkle

42. Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler

43. At Seventeen - Janis Ian

44. Mad World - Tears For Fears (or Gary Jules)

45. The Freshmen - the Verve Pipe

46. So Sick - Ne-Yo

47. All By Myself - Eric Carmen

48. Incomplete - Backstreet Boys

49. Cleaning Out My Closet - Eminem

50. Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss

I am amazed that 'Without You - Nillssonnnn (sp) is not on that list.

Comfortably Numb anyone?

Indeed and Don McLean's Vincent which I thought would be high on the list just creeps in to the full list at 74. I'm not a great fan of Pink Floyd so can't really pass comment on Comfortably Numb and if I listen to it then it might make me cry !!

Honey- Bobby Goldsboro

Teddy Bear- Red Sovine

Don't Cry Daddy- Elvis Presley

Don McLean- Vincent

Neil Diamond & Barbara Streisand -You Don't Bring Me Flowers

Memories - Elaine Paige

Jeez, looking at that list anyone would think i'm REALLY old!!!......LOL

Edited by saint boggy

Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley

Something I Can Never Have - Nine Inch Nails

Highway Patrolman - Bruce Springsteen

It's A Motherf_**er - Eels

Gary's Song - Mark Eitzel/AMC

Dead Flag Blues - Godspeed You Black Emperor

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part

Tindersticks - My Sister

in which the narrator explains that his sister went blind at the age of 5, killed her mother and cat in a house fire at 10, became an alcoholic and fell down a well at 13, moved in with a PE teacher at 15, he then beat her up and partially paralised her at 20, and was obese, crippled and riddled with cigerette burns when she died at 32. You probably remember it from top of the pops.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Tindersticks - My Sister

in which the narrator explains that his sister went blind at the age of 5, killed her mother and cat in a house fire at 10, became an alcoholic and fell down a well at 13, moved in with a PE teacher at 15, he then beat her up and partially paralised her at 20, and was obese, crippled and riddled with cigerette burns when she died at 32. You probably remember it from top of the pops.

Yep, sure do. Pan's People did the dance for it didn't they?

Tindersticks - My Sister

That one always made me smile. No More Affairs was always a bit of a chilly heartbreaker though. I always assumed it was about finding out you had the AIDS.

OMD- Pandora's Box. A sad song about one of the greatest silent film stars Louise Brooks who never came to terms with her fame. Not sure the song is particularly sad especially if you pay little attention to the words as it has a fairly upbeat tempo but her story was.

Randy Newman - I Think It's Going to Rain Today

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

Billie Holiday - God Bless the Child

Frank Sinatra - Last Night When We Were Young

Frank Sinatra - Only The Lonely

Peggy Lee - Is That All There Is?

Richard Thompson - Never Again

Louis Armstrong - Black and Blue

Gustav Mahler - Wenn dein Mutterlein tritt zur Tur herein [from the Kindertotenlieder]

Nick Drake - Black Eyed Dog

Derek and the Dominoes [Eric Clapton] - Have You Ever Loved a Woman

Kate & Anna McGarrigle - Heart Like a Wheel

Spot on.

Michael Jackson - You are not alone

East 17 - Stay another day

Evanescence (sp) - My Immortal

wow, yeh Jill :smt023......that song sends shivers down my spine.....(i love pretty much all their stuff, its very powerful, but this one really does hit the spot..

another 'stirring' ,rather than 'sad', song is James Blunt , No Bravery.........:heart:

oh, and just remembered a couple more...

Katy Perry - Thinking Of You

Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

A winner, I'd say. An unfortgettably beautiful song about lynchings in the deep south.

Also, Gloomy Sunday by several artists including Billie Holiday, which soon earned the title 'the suicide song' after it was blamed for sparking a wave of suicides, including, so rumour has it, a guy who heard a busker sing it, went home and then hung himself.

Takes a massive sh1t on anything by Mike and Mechanics.

A winner, I'd say. An unfortgettably beautiful song about lynchings in the deep south.

Also, Gloomy Sunday by several artists including Billie Holiday, which soon earned the title 'the suicide song' after it was blamed for sparking a wave of suicides, including, so rumour has it, a guy who heard a busker sing it, went home and then hung himself.

This was mentioned on an episode of QI, they played a bit of it, depressing stuff. :(

The Hypnotic by the Roots. Not many hip hop tunes are particularly sad, per se, however this one is a cracker. The mc tells a story about losing touch with a girl he fell for one summer but fell out of touch with when he starting going on tour. When he tries to hook up with her again after a while has passed, he finds out she is dead.

Blinding production on the track too, trippy beat with some awesome layered D'Angelo harmonies over the top. Sounds like a perfect chilled summer joint save for the depressing subject matter.

This was mentioned on an episode of QI, they played a bit of it, depressing stuff. :(

It also features in Schindler's Ark, the book that the 'List' film was based on. A Jewish musician playing at a dinner party gets a request for the song from a melancholy looking SS officer, so he plays it repeatedly, with increased intensity, until the officer goes outside and shoots himself.

I'll Stand By You - Chrissie Hynde

I may have mentioned this previously but I once had to pull over when it came on the radio, such was the poignancy.

Is 'pathos' a good word or am I being illiterate?

just found Gloomy Sunday (Billie Holiday) .....boy that is real depression time. I had to stop half way before the end.