Huddersfield

bungle

Anyone ever been before, got any boozing advice?

I've been there but it was an evening league cup game with saints back in the early 90's when the ground only had 3 sides and we had a pint on the way over the pennines somewhere i can't remember. Bound to be plenty of boozers in town. I hope to be there before 12 on the train.

Town fan in peace here.

Hope to see lots of you up in CleckHuddersFax for our first home game of the season.

Some boozing advice for you.

Real Ale fans - two good spots at the rail station if plod will let you move about freely, Head of Steam and Kings Head. Best of the two is Kings Head (Station Tavern) to the left as you exit the station but very busy on match days. Best pub (just out of town 7 mins walk from station, 20 mins from ground) is the Grove, with 18 (yes eighteen) handpulled ales on at all times, plus 8 (I think) proper continental beers on tap and a bottle list second to none.

On way to ground is the Gas Club. £1 in to non-members. No real ale but basic food and drink as cheap as you will find anywhere, no singing though as you will be "asked to stop or leave".

In the ground itself you can get lager and smooth beer in the away end (but it is pricey, and staff can be a little "care in the community".

All the best for the coming season (apart from the two obvious dates!)

Cheers

SapphireBlue

Town fan in peace here.

Hope to see lots of you up in CleckHuddersFax for our first home game of the season.

Real Ale fans - two good spots at the rail station if plod will let you move about freely, Head of Steam and Kings Head. Best of the two is Kings Head (Station Tavern) to the left as you exit the station but very busy on match days. Best pub (just out of town 7 mins walk from station, 20 mins from ground) is the Grove, with 18 (yes eighteen) handpulled ales on at all times, plus 8 (I think) proper continental beers on tap and a bottle list second to none.

On way to ground is the Gas Club. £1 in to non-members. No real ale but basic food and drink as cheap as you will find anywhere, no singing though as you will be "asked to stop or leave".

In the ground itself you can get lager and smooth beer in the away end (but it is pricey, and staff can be a little "care in the community".

Cheers

SapphireBlue

Nice one, cheers for that.

Town fan in peace here.

Cheers

SapphireBlue

My chances of actually making it to the ground are now severely in doubt ;)

Sounds a bit like The Brunswick in Derby ... I'll settle for 10 pints (5 before and 5 after) 3 points and a performance to match the one at Derby last year. Was our football really as good as it seemed that day or were my beer goggles working overtime :D

My chances of actually making it to the ground are now severely in doubt ;)

Sounds a bit like The Brunswick in Derby ... I'll settle for 10 pints (5 before and 5 after) 3 points and a performance to match the one at Derby last year. Was our football really as good as it seemed that day or were my beer goggles working overtime :D

lol it had crossed my mind that if there were ANY pubs selling Real Ale between you and the ground you'd never make it!

Still, Hopfest here in Dubai next weekend, allegedly we MAY even get some real beer this year - oh and send Granty a cheque for a fiver while you're in the UK, can abuse you more than 3 times a day!

Yeah, that's the Kings Head (renamed in homage to Jimmy Hendrix, but everyone apart from landlord/staff still calls it Station tavern).

Was in there last night and they had 10 wickets up (not down like England), starting with JHB Oakham 3.8% at £2.20 a pint, up to Pictish Blue Moon at 6.0% at £2.60 a pint.

BTW James May was a complete **** (to use one of his phrases) with the barmaids when he was in there, whilst Oz Clarke was a perfect gentleman.

Tickets are in the post, now to plan the pre match drinking ;)

Any general preferences yet?

I'm planning on arriving early doors, probably take in The Grove pre match, assuming it is roughly en route from the station to the ground and one of the pubs next to the station for a few post match quickies in way of celebration hopefully ;)

As so many people have said already, this is the first time in years that I am actually looking forward to Saturdays.

COYRs

I'm planning on driving up from Chester on my own for this as my usual mate is working away. There shouldn't be any problems getting tickets on the door should there?

think it might be more expensive on the day

Tickets are in the post, now to plan the pre match drinking ;)

Any general preferences yet?

I'm planning on arriving early doors, probably take in The Grove pre match, assuming it is roughly en route from the station to the ground and one of the pubs next to the station for a few post match quickies in way of celebration hopefully ;)

As so many people have said already, this is the first time in years that I am actually looking forward to Saturdays.

COYRs

You need to meet us to ensure a Saints win eric. Head of Steam/Kings Head.

I'm planning on driving up from Chester on my own for this as my usual mate is working away. There shouldn't be any problems getting tickets on the door should there?

according to Kelly in ticket office 533 tickets sold so far, tickets are available on the day but more expensive

You need to meet us to ensure a Saints win eric. Head of Steam/Kings Head.

I think the first time I met Eric we got a draw away at Barnsley (2-2 maybe?) and then the next time we won at Pride Park (0-1)... so yeah, there is no chance of us losing Saturday.

I think the first time I met Eric we got a draw away at Barnsley (2-2 maybe?) and then the next time we won at Pride Park (0-1)... so yeah, there is no chance of us losing Saturday.

Great ... no pressure then :cool:

Tickets arrived today, which pub will it be then?

Planning on arriving about lunchtime ish, but will have my father in law in tow, so will be relatively well behaved :p

Is there anybody in the squad from my last game at Derby still at the club :D

COYRs

Are you being serious? That is absolutely ****ing awful.

Its not great but a lot of people who live up north (as you can see mentioned on many threads on here) pay on the day, while others leave it late before purchasing tickets for a game like this, I'd expect 750 minimum to be up there in the end, although I would say we should be taking a minimum of 1000 to most away games.

What also doesn't help is that we are palying Swindon on tuesday and we should take over 2000 there

As an addition to my previous pub post, any of you Saints arriving by train will be greeted by the "Huddersfield Food and Drink" festival, taking place in the square in front of the station all this weekend.

If plod will allow you to mingle, there are dozens of food stalls - some selling top curries - as well as an Elland brewery stand. Check out the Nettle Thrasher if you can.

(BTW a previous poster recommended the Vulcan as a place to drink, he's a wind-up merchant, avoid)

As an addition to my previous pub post, any of you Saints arriving by train will be greeted by the "Huddersfield Food and Drink" festival, taking place in the square in front of the station all this weekend.

If plod will allow you to mingle, there are dozens of food stalls - some selling top curries - as well as an Elland brewery stand. Check out the Nettle Thrasher if you can.

(BTW a previous poster recommended the Vulcan as a place to drink, he's a wind-up merchant, avoid)

Thanks for the great info mate. Hoping for a great day out tomorrow and hopefully a good result too ;)