Stockport

bungle

Been told by a mate who lives in Stockport that its not great for drinking venues and you're better off going straight into the centre of Manchester & drinking there, then catch the metro out to Stockport.

The metrolink trams do not go to Stockport. Actually it's not running at all through Manchester city centre at the moment due to track repairs. 192 bus from Manchester Piccadilly or plenty of trains out of Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport. Stockport has plenty of decent pubs not too far from the ground. Obviously Manchester has a better nightlife and more bars if you want to drink there before/after game.

Avoid the George on the A6 in Stockport. It's a crap hole. As Andy mentioned there are a few decent pubs in Stockport run by Robinsons, the local brewer, but they are what I would term slow pubs in the main. The Baker's near the market is ok but not particularly close to the ground. There's a complex called something like the Grand Central or Exchange which is where the northern bints go and where the fighting happens on a Saturday night so take your choice!

Edited by TopGun

• 2 weeks later...
I shall be in attendance too, cant say I am looking forward to it though.

I'm looking forward to getting hammered in Manchester all weekend. Has anyone managed to find any good deals on hotels etc? Everything I've looked at is either booked up or unreasonably priced.

I'm looking forward to getting hammered in Manchester all weekend. Has anyone managed to find any good deals on hotels etc? Everything I've looked at is either booked up or unreasonably priced.

I'm just booked into the Premier Inn in Stockport central, £55 for twin-room, no brekky.

Don't think you'll find much for any less, and I assume you want Manchester anyway?

Does anyone know if you can pay on the day. Mate of mine visiting from Spain and can't find any info on OS?

Andy, dont think you can mate, says on the OS its a "all ticket match for away supporters" so that tells me you cant pay on the gate? just order one from the ticket office and if thats right then just buy one over the phone.

Oh no you don't YOU'RE fookin BANNED after uddersfield!

I absolved myself by not even listening to the Swindon match. Only found out the score when we came back in from a lovely meal out with friends.;)

Brentford game was a bit of an improvemnet so fingers crossed that I get a win under my belt before I fly back :cool:

For after match drinking next week at Stockport, things could get interesting in Manchester as Arsenal are at Old Trafford with a 5.15 KO :p

I absolved myself by not even listening to the Swindon match. Only found out the score when we came back in from a lovely meal out with friends.;)

Brentford game was a bit of an improvemnet so fingers crossed that I get a win under my belt before I fly back :cool:

For after match drinking next week at Stockport, things could get interesting in Manchester as Arsenal are at Old Trafford with a 5.15 KO :p

Should have explained that going into Manchester for post match beers (after 1 or 2 in Stockport ;) ) is /was prob the best option ... now in addition I have just found out that it is Gay Pride Week End in Manchester as well :cool:

I would tell anybody calling me homophobic to stick it up their arse, but they;d probably enjoy it :p

Any further news on the beer festival in Stockport?

Should have explained that going into Manchester for post match beers (after 1 or 2 in Stockport ;) ) is /was prob the best option ... now in addition I have just found out that it is Gay Pride Week End in Manchester as well :cool:

I would tell anybody calling me homophobic to stick it up their arse, but they;d probably enjoy it :p

Any further news on the beer festival in Stockport?

Ah, so THAT's why you picked this weekend to be oop north! :D

Enjoy the game, will be on my hols and off line for a couple of weeks.

Any ideas for pubs?

the crown inn is a real ale emporium (almost) and its right by the famous railway viaduct - google maps reckons its about a mile to the ground

http://thecrowninn.110mb.com/

probably one of the better pubs in stockport from the beer point of view

The Crown is straight down the hill past the station (Edgeley) side. Go right down to the roundabout you come to Quick-fit on the corner, & its right next to the roundabout on opposite side of road to Quick-fit. About 10-15 mins walk to the ground.

Just booked my ticket & will be sliding around the corner to the match & into the Royal Oak top off Castle Street for some Joseph Holts with the brother in law (season ticket holder at County), usually a good mix of home & away in there., Also the Sir Bobby Peel on Castle Street usually has away fans.

Also The Armoury isn't bad, come up from the station straight across at the rounabout & its just up on the left. about 2-mins from the ground.

Don't go in the Labour club next to away end Known as the Bungalow its a right hovell.

Ah, so THAT's why you picked this weekend to be oop north! :D

Enjoy the game, will be on my hols and off line for a couple of weeks.

Pah .... rumbled :p

Hi Eric,

What pub you going to before the match (see above replies) - I'll see you there

cheers

pete w

hi Pete !! As they say ... watch this space!!

Will you be driving or arriving by tarin?

Pah .... rumbled :p

hi Pete !! As they say ... watch this space!!

Will you be driving or arriving by tarin?

I'm driving - we are in the lake district for the weekend staying with my sister-in-law - but I'll be OK for a couple before the game!

I'll keep an eye on this space!

Edited by dellboypete

I'm just booked into the Premier Inn in Stockport central, £55 for twin-room, no brekky.

Don't think you'll find much for any less, and I assume you want Manchester anyway?

All good mate!

Better be a twin room or you are in the bath!

Anyone looking for rooms in Manc be aware its Manc Gay Pride so busy and expensive!

Just bought my tickets, 4.5k sold so far which seems quite a lot. We'll be training it up from Chester so intending to have a few beers somewhere...

If we're taking 4,500 to Stockport, I'll be very surprised. That must be the expected attendance in total.

Anybody know anywhere good for breakfast?

On an away fans website, they talk about a working mens club just on the entrance to the away end ( the railway ). Small admission to get in . does anyone know if it is still there?

I've also seen this mentioned in last nights programme by Steve Grant not being very good, better to try local Robinson's pub eg The Armoury

If we're taking 4,500 to Stockport, I'll be very surprised. That must be the expected attendance in total.

Anybody know anywhere good for breakfast?

Especially when you consider the total ground capacity is only 10k according to footballgroundguide.co.uk. But the guy at the ticket office said there were only 500 tickets left of our allocated 5000!

There's no way we're taking 4,500 up to Stockport.

Says on the OS our allocation was 1090 with a possible extra 800. Doubt we've even sold the initial allocation.

Huddersfield looked like about 800 saints and that was our first away game so I doubt we will sell more than that for Stockport.