Hartlepool

bungle

Just booked my flights, £26 return from Bristol. Bargain.

Due to difficulties in getting back to Newcastle after the game, the main board/bored thread had discussion over either:

a) hiring a car

b) booking a big taxi back to Newcastle.

Perhaps this would be a good thread to guage numbers and consider booking something?

Edited by bungle

Think me and 2 others are going to hire a car, drive up there, stay the night & then back the following day. May look into flying from Bristol now though, its £70 return from Southampton to Newcastle last time i looked. Train to Bristol can work out about £6 with a rail card. Who you flying from Bristol with?

It's an easyjet flight from Bristol, but it leaves at 8am, so you won't be able to get there in time by train from Southampton.

as Rees says cabs back to Newcastle after the game don't seem too bad as quoted £50 for an 8 seater or £35 for a 4 seater. If you don't want to fly there are some offers on the train but they wont go on sale until roughly 12 weeks prior to date, cheapest London - Newcastle returns up Tues back on Wednesday from Kings Cross will be £33.70 or £22.30 with a YP railcard.

We've decided to hire a car & drive up there & back in a day. 1 of our travelling party has said he is willing not to drink & drive us back after the game. Probably leave about 10 in the morning.

Footballgroundguide.co.uk says the following re pubs:

Where To Drink?

The Victoria Suite near the entrance to the away end is for members only. At the same end but at the opposite corner, is the 'Corner Flag Supporters Bar' that welcomes away fans. The entrance fee is 50p, but the bar has a good pre match atmosphere and SKY TV. Popular with away fans is the Jackson's Wharf Pub near the ground. It has good food and real ale on tap. This pub is over the road from the ASDA store, to the left of the old sailing ship. Otherwise the ground is not far from the town centre where there are plenty of pubs to be found.

Ronnie Chambers adds; 'I would recommend The Causeway, 15 minutes walk away from the ground. It is located just around the corner from the brewery near the church, real ale and very friendly. The Engineers Club five minutes from the ground opposite the police station, just off the town centre is okay, as is the Raglan Club just behind the visitors end. Usual club rules apply regarding entry for these'.

Also follow this link for the nearest Wetherspoon outlets to Victoria Park: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/index.php?Submit=Go&LatLongId=2106316&SearchPub=TS24%208BZ

Going to get ****faced in Newcastle before and after, unsure yet of specific arrangements yet

Easyjet "sale" ends tonight apparently, so might be worth booking flights from Bristol today (assuming that's best place for you to go from?).

The actual cost for my flight was -£2!

Easyjet "sale" ends tonight apparently, so might be worth booking flights from Bristol today (assuming that's best place for you to go from?).

The actual cost for my flight was -£2!

Thinking about doing the train. If you book it early enough there isn't a great deal of difference in terms of price. Although in only takes you 45 minutes or so in the air by the time you've waited around at both airports I also don't think there is alot of difference in terms of time.

Cue abuse.

Thinking about doing the train. If you book it early enough there isn't a great deal of difference in terms of price. Although in only takes you 45 minutes or so in the air by the time you've waited around at both airports I also don't think there is alot of difference in terms of time.

Cue abuse.

Not convinced, but would be interesting. The advantage for me is that I know that coming back by plane I can be in work on time Wednesday morning, something that couldn't happen if I went by train.

Hartlepool's ground is one of the bleakest in the leagues. The town has to be seen to be believed and a cold late November night up there will be something you will talk about forever. I went years ago and saw a game v N'pton town. The memory haunts me still and I only went as it was part of my drive to join the 92 club.

I will be going that night as I need to see Saints on that ground. Will drive from Beds and reckon on 3 hrs or so each way A1/A19.

Rail wise cant you go via Darlington and then a Teeside local? Indeed I beilieve there is a direct Sunderland service via Hartlepool from Kings X now. Wont run to fit in with our game though I doubt.

Gonna stay up in Newcastle for a few nights before, then stay in Hartlepool after the game and drive back on the Wednesday.

Conveniently, Sedgefield races are on the Tuesday afternoon (12.50 - 3.20), which should get the drinking off to a good start pre-match.