Best away pub of the season

bungle

Seeing as such an important part of the away day is the pub (except for those who use the travel club, I guess), thought it might be good to discuss the best pubs so far this season. Perhaps we could even try to decide on the best of the year come next May?!

Rules are, you can only nominate pubs you have visited this season (so no commenting on pubs for games we haven't had yet, they may have got better/worse!).

Also, note that the Antigallican in Charlton is NOT a good pub.

Two pubs quite high up the list for me already. The Grove in Huddersfield was good, if a little quiet, but for it was beaten by The Crown in Stockport which had 16 excellent ales and had a bit more of a football atmosphere inside, with Stockport fans about as well.

The Arkell's Inn (I think it's called) just outside Swindon's ground. It was full of angry Swindon fans and dodgy characters in Stone Island clothes talking about wanting to do over Saints fans... A fairly intimidating atmosphere I thought, but good fun nonetheless listening to some of their 'hooligan' conversations. Seeing as it's the only away game I have been able to get to this season I will nominate this sh!thole.

Seeing as such an important part of the away day is the pub (except for those who use the travel club, I guess), thought it might be good to discuss the best pubs so far this season. Perhaps we could even try to decide on the best of the year come next May?!

Rules are, you can only nominate pubs you have visited this season (so no commenting on pubs for games we haven't had yet, they may have got better/worse!).

Also, note that the Antigallican in Charlton is NOT a good pub.

Two pubs quite high up the list for me already. The Grove in Huddersfield was good, if a little quiet, but for it was beaten by The Crown in Stockport which had 16 excellent ales and had a bit more of a football atmosphere inside, with Stockport fans about as well.

The Crown in Stockport was the worse pub I've ever been too. Crap selection of beers, no atmosphere, delapidated, little space and rude staff.

The Crown in Stockport was the worse pub I've ever been too. Crap selection of beers, no atmosphere, delapidated, little space and rude staff.

It wins my nomination. You can't argue with 16 real ales.

Having said that, it's the only one I've been to this season, so there's not much competition.

The Merlin was crap. The only good thing about it was the parking.

And the fact that the helpful doorman told us we could go to the local Co-op shop a minute's walk away from the Merlin and then come back and drink our cans of beer outside the front entrance to the Merlin. Good work fella.

Sadly as driver I didn't benefit, but decided to get in the longest queue for a chip shop i have ever seen in my life (the chippie by the ground); took half-an-hour to get served in there, about the same as the Merlin, truth be told. Clearly neither establishment was prepared for 3,000 of us turning up.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
The Arkell's Inn (I think it's called) just outside Swindon's ground. It was full of angry Swindon fans and dodgy characters in Stone Island clothes talking about wanting to do over Saints fans... A fairly intimidating atmosphere I thought, but good fun nonetheless listening to some of their 'hooligan' conversations. Seeing as it's the only away game I have been able to get to this season I will nominate this sh!thole.

The County Hotel, I think. It's always like that, even when there is no football.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I liked the spoons in Swindon town centre

That doesn't narrow it down though. There are three within a couple of minutes walk of each other. The Savoy, ex cinema, the Groves Company Inn, bit run down and opposite the kebab shop and the Sir Daniel, a new pub about 100 yards from the Grove.

+1.

As already posted, the spoons in Swindon town centre was good, lovely steaks & cheap beer.

yeah that was ok and a spoons is always cheap. The one in watford was probably the best though. The social club we went to in hudderfield had the worst live band Ive ever heard, doing sh*te covers of rock songs.

That doesn't narrow it down though. There are three within a couple of minutes walk of each other. The Savoy, ex cinema, the Groves Company Inn, bit run down and opposite the kebab shop and the Sir Daniel, a new pub about 100 yards from the Grove.

Groves wouldn't let us in. Probably the sir dan.

Strangely the old bill were filming people in there....

It was pretty horrible, didn't help that I was sober and soaked.

I don't think I've been to one nice pub yet this season.

I was sober and soaked too. You couldn't have got drunk in that place even if you'd wanted to, what with the amount of booze they'd run out of!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
New contender for worst pub - Golden Lion, Southend.

Those who were there, you know what I mean. Those who weren't, by god you missed an experience - it actually makes The Merlin at Swindon look like Pub of the Year in comparison!

You should have done what I did. Walked fifty yards up the road, past the Home fans pub, to the Blue Boar on the corner. Nice and warm and welcoming. Two real ales and fantastic bacon and egg rolls...

Those who were there, you know what I mean. Those who weren't, by god you missed an experience - it actually makes The Merlin at Swindon look like Pub of the Year in comparison!

SOUTHEND - Went to THE BELL (Toby).... not a bad venue. 3 cask ales, food, beer in real glass not plastic, busy but still able to get a seat, friendly locals OK for Footy Chat/Banter...

7/10

You should have done what I did. Walked fifty yards up the road, past the Home fans pub, to the Blue Boar on the corner. Nice and warm and welcoming. Two real ales and fantastic bacon and egg rolls...

I parked up just outside the Blue Boar, was led to believe that one and the Spread Eagle were both home fans only, so didn't even consider it.

Passed the Toby on the way in, couldn't be bothered to walk that far in that rain though!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I parked up just outside the Blue Boar, was led to believe that one and the Spread Eagle were both home fans only, so didn't even consider it.

Passed the Toby on the way in, couldn't be bothered to walk that far in that rain though!

Made the mistake of going into the Golden Lion last time. A complete pit. There were no signs on the Boar so I just strolled in. A couple of door security but they were only interested in making calls on their mobiles and staying out of the rain.

We went in there, saw you and Steve Grant, had 1 drink and hot footed it out and went to The Blue Boar for a while. Also went to The Railway which was ok. Never again will I step foot in the Golden Lion!

Not just a contender for the worst pub of the season, the Golden Lion is a contender for worst pub I ever been in. Absolute dive!!!! The only good thing about that place was the roof.

Not just a contender for the worst pub of the season, the Golden Lion is a contender for worst pub I ever been in. Absolute dive!!!! The only good thing about that place was the roof.

Very true what a hole they didnt have any ice no Cider ran out of some Larger had a p1ss poor attitude the worst pub I have ever been in on away footy and I have been in some sh1tholes.

very glad we got w@nkered on the way as it took a age to get served no chance of having too many in that pit.

Still a top away day & a ground ticked off the list

sodding wet, sticky floor, horrible p*ssers and no cider. what an experience. I was loving the poster advertising indutrial goth, not sure what that is?

• 3 weeks later...
SOUTHEND - Went to THE BELL (Toby).... not a bad venue. 3 cask ales, food, beer in real glass not plastic, busy but still able to get a seat, friendly locals OK for Footy Chat/Banter...

7/10

Went there too was that the one with a carvery for £5.50?

Amiable West Ham fans in there after the game.

• 2 weeks later...