Southend Away

Genk

Some info from the Shrimpers website:

Directions:

By Car

From M25 take Junction 29 and follow the A127 to Southend. Continue towards the town centre, through the lights near to the Bell Pub. At the next roundabout turn right (3rd turning), continuing on the A127. The ground is on the right just past the next traffic lights.

By Train

The closest station to the ground is Prittlewell, about a five minute walk away. It is served by trains from London Liverpool Street. As you exit the station turn right, you will then come to a crossroads with traffic lights. On your right is the 'Fish House', fish and chip shop. Pass this and turn right. Walk about 100 yards and the ground is tucked away on your left.

If you happen to end up at Southend Central station (served by trains from London Fenchurch Street), you're about a 25 minute walk from the ground. The main bus station is close to Southend Central, and therefore it may be ideal to get a bus up to the ground, rather than walking. The numbers 7, 8, 9, and 29 buses all stop right outside Roots Hall Football Ground.

I would add that if you are driving you can just as easily get to Sarfend on the A13 rather than the A127. You have to join the A127 after the A13 anyway. The A127 gets (marginally) more blocked that the A13 on a Friday afternoon so might be the better option. Also, there is a 50MPH speed camera system in place on the A127 after Basildon, all are working and you can get caught multiple times on 1 stretch.

If you are going my train, Liverpool Street gets you closer to the ground, but you are much more likely to get a decent train ride from Fenchurch, where trains up to 4.30 or so are more quiet. Also, the guards on c2c are more relaxed about drinking on the train I have found. When you get you Southend on the c2c line, the walk to the ground isnt that bad, a few pubs on the way.

They try and play some games on Friday as they believe that London Prem teams being at home affect their attendances, though this time around the game has been moved to the Friday by the OB, as we played up a bit last time we were there.

Won't affect me though as I'll be in Ukraine with England.

Same here thankfully, Southend on a Friday night is not the most attractive of fixtures. A night out in Kiev will be far more entertaining.

As with their Millwall, Gillingham, Leyton Orient matches, the Essex Police force request Friday and in some cases Thursday matches.

Southend is not the 'kiss me quick, squeeze me tight' seaside rresort that some might imagine. Lots of 'scalps' to be had, so they want to keep the visiting numbers to a minimum. I beleive that in bygone days, their reputation would stand up to that of Millwall's infamous 'Halfway Line' and ones who used to wear skull caps (name esacpes me).

Epitomised 70's hooliganism to a large degree.

For those travelling up, you might wish to enjoy a pleasant walk along one of the longest piers in the World, it's a beauty.

Wonder how many we'll get going to this one. A few of us are staying there and hitting the town afterwards, any one know what the night life is like there?

Depends on what like really. For me, Im not keen on Sarfend for the night out; but it's horses for courses at the end of the day. Too many geezers for my liking.

Think this will be my next away game, can't wait now.

Reckon we will still take a few despite it being a Friday.

I thought you were coming to Oldham I have ordered you a ticket.

Oops sorry thought I was reading the Orient thread.

Edited by ladysaint

Will be my first away game of the season, going with Arizona.

Clockwise or Anti-Clockwise on m25? Google says its 1 min difference, I suspect its not!

Anti-Clockwise, without a shadow of doubt, that north stretch of the M25 is a nightmare anytime after 3pm onwards.

Clockwise or Anti-Clockwise on m25? Google says its 1 min difference, I suspect its not!

1 minute difference when you're sat in a 20 mile jam doesn't make much difference. The pratt who decided to move this to a Friday night has obviously never sat on the M25 for 2 hours going nowhere!

If you're going clockwise you'll hit the jam where the M3 joins the M25 and be lucky to do more than 20mph past the M4, on through the roadworks (Jnct 16-18) and on to the M1 junction. Thats assuming there's not been an accident or a breakdown in the roadworks!

If you go anti-clockwise again you'll hit the queue at the top of the M3 which crawls through to the next junction, and will be slow through to the A3 junction. Will be slow again around Clacket Lane, and then you'll join the queue for the Dartford Tunnel - expect at least an hour hold-up there!

Some regular users are now getting so hacked off with Dartford on a Friday that they're going through the centre of London and using the Blackwall Tunnel - not to be recommended though!

Message is leave early (Thursday should suffice!!).

Just to add, there is apparently space for two more in the Bajmobile*. PM either of us for details.

*We do not accept liability for any death, serious injury, sexual harassment which occurs in this vehicle.

Gonna be able to get there cheaper or quicker by train IF you were leaving from southampton?

Group Saver for £20 each, if there's 4 of you, or £25.95 each with a network railcard.

Southampton Central to Waterloo, Waterloo to Stratford (underground, Jubilee Line), Stratford to Prittlewell (nearest station to Roots Hall).

Group Saver for £20 each, if there's 4 of you, or £25.95 each with a network railcard.

Southampton Central to Waterloo, Waterloo to Stratford (underground, Jubilee Line), Stratford to Prittlewell (nearest station to Roots Hall).

Its a damn sight quicker to get to Waterloo, get the Waterloo and city line to Bank, then walk 5 minutes to Fenchurch or Liverpool St.

Are there many places to drink near the ground if you get off at Prittlewell?

Heard it was better to get off at Soutend Victoria, not sure how far away that is compared to Prittlewell.

Also does the group saver to London cover the Stratford to Prittlewell part of the journey?

Edited by Andy_Porter

Are there many places to drink near the ground if you get off at Prittlewell?

Heard it was better to get off at Soutend Victoria, not sure how far away that is compared to Prittlewell.

Also does the group saver to London cover the Stratford to Prittlewell part of the journey?

You'll have more choice if you go to Southend Victoria, but it's a bit of a trek from there to the ground.

Re the Underground part of the journey, I don't know - the website didn't mention anything about having to buy a separate tube ticket.

You'll have more choice if you go to Southend Victoria, but it's a bit of a trek from there to the ground.

Re the Underground part of the journey, I don't know - the website didn't mention anything about having to buy a separate tube ticket.

Cheers Steve.

Just checked on trainline and that said the same 77 quid for 4 to Prittlewell. I thought we might have needed an extra ticket for the last part.

Might just go to Southend Victoria and make a day of it, probably get there for 1ish.