Canon 5D Mk II release announced

Al de Man

Along with the usual expected increases over the original 5D in ISO range, shooting speed, self-cleaning and resolution, the new Mark II includes HD quality video capture! Video has been available in digital cameras since year dot but not on such a high-end body as far as I'm aware.

http://gizmodo.com/5050899/canon-5d-mark-ii-officially-awesome-21mp-dslr-first-to-shoot-full-hd-video

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkII.asp

It's niccceeeee.....

borat_lebanon0109.jpg

Looks like it might be worthwhile ordering from the states :shock:

US: $ 2,699, EU: € 2,499, UK: £ 2,299.

Even mainland Europe looks like an attractive proposition.

Is it just me, or does dpreview always sound like it's going to be an x-rated site?

That is a rather unfortunate choice of URL.

• 2 months later...
Ok. I've decided I need one of these now.

There's an event on at the Novatel later today where they'll have a demo unit.

ISO 25600 sample.

(Click on "All sizes" above the pic for unprocessed full size image.)

Need or want ;)

That picture at original size is incredibly noisy :shock:

It works really well though at large size.

I'd like to see the original that has had some of the noise processed out....

That picture at original size is incredibly noisy :shock:

I dunno... I remember shooting at 1600 on the original 1D and it didn't touch that shot, was much more noisey. Admittedly, as the comments say, it's a well lit photo so the high ISO isn't tested as much, and I'd like to see examples in low light, but even taking that into account, it seems we'll have equally usuable pictures but with a full FOUR stops more to play with.

I dunno... I remember shooting at 1600 on the original 1D and it didn't touch that shot, was much more noisey. Admittedly, as the comments say, it's a well lit photo so the high ISO isn't tested as much, and I'd like to see examples in low light, but even taking that into account, it seems we'll have equally usuable pictures but with a full FOUR stops more to play with.

Which would have come in very handy for me when shooting the QE2 leaving, as being a dumbass I only took a monopod and not my tripod. Result, lots of blurry pictures :( One or two good firework shots though.

Well it looked and felt the same as the current 5D. An extra button here and there. A different battery grip. In all seriousness, I couldn't give a monkey's about the video mode.

The standard ISO range goes up to 6400, and enabling ISO expansion in the menu introduces an H1 and H2 mode, which are 12800 and 25600 respectively. I didn't take a memory card, so no image samples unfortunately. To put this into perspective, the original 5D goes up to ISO 1600 as standard and H1 is a pretty noisy 3200.

However, LCE had a pre-sale price of £2300 on the 5D MkII body. To put that into perspective, I bid on a brand new boxed 5D Professional Double Zoom kit (an original 5D, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 24-70 f2.8L) on eBay and it went for £1550! By my reckoning of the value of those lenses, the body was free!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I couldn't hold out any longer after all my eBay sales and have ordered one from Warehouse Express before the price goes up too much.

The weak pound has made the UK prices appear to be some of the keenest across the World and there was no way the manufacturers like Canon and Nikon were going to allow that.

As a result, almost all lens have seen a sharp rise in price since Christmas.

£2497 for an EOS 5D2 and 24-105 lens, which at the current exchange rate is only about £50 more than the street price in a hugely competitive camera district of Mongkok in Hong Kong. I'll probably have to wait 3-4 weeks as they don't have stock but have said they'll honour the order at that price even though it'll certainly go up in that time.

Ignore my feelings after the Novatel show at the end of November about this being an expensive upgrade over the original 5D. This camera is in a totally different class and Canon should have really given it a whole new model number instead of downplaying it and just calling it the Mk II version.