Bristol Rovers

bungle

Drank in a pub on the Gloucester Road last time, can't remember the name but it got rammed and we ended up drinking tins from the petrol station before being moved on by the police horses. Presume Gloucester Road is the best bet again, although Friday night will be interesting.

In terms of tickets, no news announced and tomorrow is 8 days before the game. Considering the postal strike, is there a chance this will be buy in person only?

Can't remember anything about pubs at all for this one, so I'm not gonna be of much assistance there!

I'm not running the risk of online booking. As soon as ticket details are announced, I shall be purchasing mine in person, along with Hartlepool. If one is requiring a ticket to be purchased, one may contact me with season ticket number, and I'll sort it.

Same here.

How long will it take me to get to Temple Meads after the game if I jump in a cab? I have memories from last time that it was fairly quick as I left the ground just before the FT whistle, but I was rather p*ssed at the time.

15 minute taxi ride, I reckons.

Does anyone know why we are playing on the Friday night rather than the Saturday that just about everyon else is playing on?

Yes.

As per the article on the Saints official site it is because Avon & Somerset Police have kindly requested our game be moved, as they need police to deal with Paulton Rovers v Norwich on the Saturday (at 12.45pm). All the info is on the link, which was added to the Saints website last Tuesday.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1839078,00.html

anyone think its possible for me to make kick off, i'll be leaving Southampton (centre) by car at 5.30?

I had to do something similar for Bristol City in the cup a few years back. Left London Road at 17:00, walked through the turnstile with about a minute to spare. Bear in mind that was a Tuesday night though.

I live in Bristol and have done the trip in 1hr 10 mins from St Marys to Bristol, I'm not condoning speeding but there are no speed cameras on the A34 or M4, would also come in down A38 rather than M32 as Muller Rd becomes gridlocked and a quicker way into ground, Park by the Wellington pub and a 2 minute walk to ground.

Yes.

As per the article on the Saints official site it is because Avon & Somerset Police have kindly requested our game be moved, as they need police to deal with Paulton Rovers v Norwich on the Saturday (at 12.45pm). All the info is on the link, which was added to the Saints website last Tuesday.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1839078,00.html

Thanks for that, I missed that article on the OS.

I live in Bristol and have done the trip in 1hr 10 mins from St Marys to Bristol, I'm not condoning speeding but there are no speed cameras on the A34 or M4, would also come in down A38 rather than M32 as Muller Rd becomes gridlocked and a quicker way into ground, Park by the Wellington pub and a 2 minute walk to ground.

I'm looking on Google Satellite. Is the parking at the Wellington just at the pub or do they make some of the green land around the pub and church available? Normally I use public transport but I need to drive to this one from work.

I'm looking on Google Satellite. Is the parking at the Wellington just at the pub or do they make some of the green land around the pub and church available? Normally I use public transport but I need to drive to this one from work.

All the roads round there are parkable on, does get a bit crowded but keep hunting and you'll find a space.

have you done that sort of trip of a winter evening? The added traffic makes a big difference.

I also live in Bristol and do the trip to and from St. Marys regularly, and whilst I have done it in an hour and 10/20mins a few times, I'll be amazed if anyone does it in under 2 hours on a friday evening. There may be no fixed speed cameras, but they often put mobile ones on bridges over the M4, so look out for them. And the last few times I've done the journey there have been 50mph average cameras on the A34 - not sure if they're still there?

Although there is plenty of on-street parking if you're prepared to walk 15-20mins, I'm told there's a big fireworks display going on somewhere nearby so that might make it a bit harder.

And about picking up tickets at the ground, living away from St. Marys I have to do this a lot for away games, most of the time you have to wait until about 20-30 mins to kick off before they arrive and are dished out, although at Norwich last year we didn't get them until 5 minutes before kick off! The difference is this time I imagine they'll be loads of us wanting to collect, so hopefully they'll have a system in place to deal with it.........

And about picking up tickets at the ground, living away from St. Marys I have to do this a lot for away games, most of the time you have to wait until about 20-30 mins to kick off before they arrive and are dished out, although at Norwich last year we didn't get them until 5 minutes before kick off! The difference is this time I imagine they'll be loads of us wanting to collect, so hopefully they'll have a system in place to deal with it.........

I have just rung the club and been told that any unclaimed ticketrs will travel up on the bus. However, no assurances could be given as to what time the bus would arrive and knowing Bristol traffic like we locals do, there is a possibility that there will be a lot of people trying to get their tickets from the Memorial Stadium ticket office, possibly close to kick off time. With this in mind, I am going to take a day off tomorrow and go to SMS and pick mine up. It's called 'peace of mind'.

I have just rung the club and been told that any unclaimed ticketrs will travel up on the bus. However, no assurances could be given as to what time the bus would arrive and knowing Bristol traffic like we locals do, there is a possibility that there will be a lot of people trying to get their tickets from the Memorial Stadium ticket office, possibly close to kick off time. With this in mind, I am going to take a day off tomorrow and go to SMS and pick mine up. It's called 'peace of mind'.

Thanks for the update. Think its going to be a nightmare picking up tickets at the ground on Friday.

Does anyone think that the A36 via Salisbury/Warminster might be better than the rush hour M4?

I'm really in two minds... the Salisbury route is clearly the shortest, and I pretty much always go that way - however not so convinced it'll be the quickest for Friday....

AA Route Planner:

So'ton to Bristol via Salisbury: 78 miles, 1 hour 52 minutes

So'ton to Bristol via Chieveley: 106 miles, 2 hours 4 minutes

We're gonna get traffic either way, but seeing as there is a lot more opportunity for doing a decent speed (ahem) going A34/M4, I might just risk it for a biscuit.

A34-M4 is far quicker than the A36. It was even the better route in the days before the Newbury bypass was built, which is saying something....

It's also a better route for getting to the north side of Bristol where Rovers play. You can easily spend over an hour just getting through Bristol if you come in from the South East.

Edited by Scummer

Going A36 way and stopping at the Hillside cafe on the way, worked in Bristol for 6 weeks earlier his year and found this route ok to be honest, Bath is where your most likely to have hold ups but that was mainly to do with road works so hopefully they have been completed now

I can inform you that Bath will be gridlocked at the time you are planning to travel through it. Avoid it like the plague. Although the Southgate development is now part-opened, and so traffic is flowing a bit more freely, the A4 will be slow going.

I can inform you that Bath will be gridlocked at the time you are planning to travel through it. Avoid it like the plague. Although the Southgate development is now part-opened, and so traffic is flowing a bit more freely, the A4 will be slow going.

you don't know what time i am leaving ;o)

If you are going via Salisbury and Warminster you can take a cracking short cut and completely miss Bath.

On the A36 at Woolverton turn left on to the B3110 to Norton St Phillip.

Go through Norton St Phillip all the way to Midford.

Turn left at the mini roundabout by the Tesco petrol station in Midford and then it's basically straight on towards Englishcombe, Whiteway and Newton Saint Loe.

Don't deviate from that road and you will rejoin the A4 at the A4 / A39 roundabout by the World's End pub.

Have a look on multi maps and you can see the route looks really obvious.

No Bath.

No probs.