Wycombe Wanderers

bungle

Sounds almost as much fun as getting to the Reading ground.

From Footballgroundguide.com

If coming by train into Wycombe station, then either take a Taxi (costs about £5) or get the football special bus that runs from the station to the ground on match days. The Football Special (No.501) departs the Railway Station for the stadium at 13.55 on Saturday matchdays and 18.40 for midweek games (cost about £2.50 return). The Special returns 10 minutes after the final whistle.

Paul Willems a visiting Bristol City supporter adds; 'If you have got the energy, then a walk from the station to the ground along the West Wycombe road takes in several pubs and can make the three quarters of an hour or so walk seem a lot less!! Those in the know will cut across a park just after the last pub on the West Wycombe Road and be there ten minutes sooner'.

I've heard rumours of a £1 in the pot strip pub, somewhere near the station I think, the quality of this establishment could be a key decider in doing this fixture, so has anyone ever been there? and do the birds belong in the flying scotsman or the griffin ?

Been before but drove, will be going by train this time tho. The walk from the station shouldn't be too bad as long as there are plenty of pubs en route as mentioned above.

Its midweek, so you'll struggle to do it by train from Southampton. Not sure why we've already got a Wycombe thread, I think its still 4 months away, or have I got that wrong?

Its midweek, so you'll struggle to do it by train from Southampton. Not sure why we've already got a Wycombe thread, I think its still 4 months away, or have I got that wrong?

Ha, you're right and all. I mis-read it and thought it was away from home on the 1st. Still, it's such an awkward place to get to (the ground, not the town) maybe we need this thread anyway!

Right, looked into the trains (can't go as far as Feb on national rail site so just used the last Tuesday in Jan that i could). It's possible to do going via London.

There are trains back to Marleybone at 22.06 & 22.59 from Wycombe. The 22.06 might be a bit of a push, but the 22.59 train gets back to London at 23.34. Then theres a train back from Waterloo to Soton at 00.05 & 01.05.

For 4 people, 1 with a rail card a return from Marleybone to High Wycombe works out at £7.80 each. A standard off peak return to London Waterloo from Soton central with a travel card comes to £17.20 each so all in all 25 notes exactly. Job done.

Edited by saints_is_the_south

Haha, My local game!

I will of course be off work that day! :-)

Me too :)

There is a Park & Ride service from the M40 High Wycombe junction (near to John Lewis store).

Or, if you drive in, you can park next to the ground (although it's a muddy hill and it takes an age to get out). The (no through) road leading to the ground has small factories and other units along it and some of them let out their car parking.

We always drive to my daughter's house and she drops us off / picks us up. Planning to take my grandson to this one.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

There is a Park & Ride service from the M40 High Wycombe junction (near to John Lewis store).

Or, if you drive in, you can park next to the ground (although it's a muddy hill and it takes an age to get out). The (no through) road leading to the ground has small factories and other units along it and some of them let out their car parking.

We always drive to my daughter's house and she drops us off / picks us up. Planning to take my grandson to this one.

Is he the one that's older than the newest Mr BTF?

Parking next to the ground is okay. it may be muddy, but also, if you get there early enough you can park on the gravel. However, no decent boozers close to the ground!

Best bet, Find good/free/cheap parking, and use Wycombe Cars to get you from A to B. I'll try to see if I can get a deal with the cabbies that work for them for any Saints fans if they mention my name ;-p :-)

The 'Hour Glass', which is the closest pub to the ground is dedicated to away fans.

Absolutely correct of course, although its a bit of a "your name" :)

Wycombe is about 15 mins from me so I will getting a lift there and a cab back. There is one small food and drink outlet in the ground for the away fans. It does not sell beers and I have been there for a game in January, when the away end was sold out a week before the match, and it ran out of hot food and hot drinks before half time.....

I've heard rumours of a £1 in the pot strip pub, somewhere near the station I think, the quality of this establishment could be a key decider in doing this fixture, so has anyone ever been there? and do the birds belong in the flying scotsman or the griffin ?

There's 3 or 4 of these pubs in Wycombe.

Anyhow....

Whilst I live 3 miles outside the Town centre, I know a fair bit about it after coming to uni here for three years! So, Anything anyone wants to know, let me know!

With this game, there will be very little parking on the West Wycombe Road (one of my friends lives down there). Its jam packed most of the time. In town, parking wise, if you get there early enough the Swan Centre car park is probably your best bet as it doesn't exactly break the bank and after 6.30 its £1.50, so works out quite well for evening parking.

Pub Wise, I've never been to the Hourglass, so don't know if its away friendly etc. However, there are plenty of city centre boozers which are about a £5-6 cab ride to the ground. You've got an O'Neills, The Antelope, Two Wetherspoons (the Falcon and the Sir William Robert Loosely) Litten Tree, as well as a couple of small-ish ones like the Bell who are always good for a pint of real ale (FAO Turtle, Bungle etc)

Thats all I can think about so far! But if anyone has any questions about the local area etc, don't hesitate to PM me.

Anyhow....

Whilst I live 3 miles outside the Town centre, I know a fair bit about it after coming to uni here for three years! So, Anything anyone wants to know, let me know!

With this game, there will be very little parking on the West Wycombe Road (one of my friends lives down there). Its jam packed most of the time. In town, parking wise, if you get there early enough the Swan Centre car park is probably your best bet as it doesn't exactly break the bank and after 6.30 its £1.50, so works out quite well for evening parking.

Pub Wise, I've never been to the Hourglass, so don't know if its away friendly etc. However, there are plenty of city centre boozers which are about a £5-6 cab ride to the ground. You've got an O'Neills, The Antelope, Two Wetherspoons (the Falcon and the Sir William Robert Loosely) Litten Tree, as well as a couple of small-ish ones like the Bell who are always good for a pint of real ale (FAO Turtle, Bungle etc)

Thats all I can think about so far! But if anyone has any questions about the local area etc, don't hesitate to PM me.

We're going to come and park at yours. Just register our car registration to a random room! :p