Walsall

bungle

Not been before but booked on the train and noticed that the service from New Street to Bescot Stadium stops at Aston and Witton so could jump off there and drink in the Cap'n'gown or whatever it was called we used to drink at Villa Park for old times sake , Villa are home to Bolton that day though so maybe not.

away end look decent to me though http://www.footballgroundguide.com/walsall/

whole end behind the goal, low roof, should be a decent atmosphere

"Away supporters are housed in the Dains Stand at one end of the ground, where around 2,000 away supporters can be accommodated. There are a few supporting pillars at the front which could impede your view. The good news though, is that even a small amount of away fans can really make some noise and make a good atmosphere"

Tickets go on sale for this game next monday with 2100 initially available + another 600 if required.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/TicketNews/0,,10280~1844380,00.html

After the great turn out Saturday it would be great to get at least 2000 for this match

We will only take 2,000+ if we're in decent form.

If not I suspect 1,000-1,500ish.

Think it will depend on if we are still in the Cup and who we play the week before in round 2, but this is the sort of game we should be able to take loads to:

- good away end behind the goal, low roof plenty of noise

- a ground that very few Saints fans would have been to before.

- Prices are not too bad at £18

- Decent train links. Cheap deals available going up from London Euston via Birmingham New Street on Virgin, or CrossCountry from southampton which also calls at Basingstoke and Reading. Trains go from New Street to Bescot Stadium station which is right next to the ground.

Agree that we should take the full 2,700 to this, unless there's a really decent away day in the FAC the previous week.

If we can take c.4k to Reading and c.4k to Leyton Orient no reason why not, especially if the form continues.

Looking forward to this one. For those going by train is it worth trying to go to Walsall for a beer or just stick to Birmingham and get a late train over?

Agree with this.

Its probably worth drinking in Brum (as the choice of Pubs in Walsall are rubbish), and then getting a train to Bescot station (Walsall) in time for Kick-off.

The Bescot Train Station is immediately behind the away turnstiles!!!

In fact its cheaper for us in Hertfordshire to split the train fares.

ie... Get a Return ticket to Birmingham New Street and then a different ticket from Brum to Bescot.

The price for the New Street to Bescot (Walsall) ticket is just £2.90 (return) at any time!!!

We save over £10 by splitting fares and then have 2-3 hrs drinking time around Brum.

Whats the thoughts.

Bungle.....

could be a similar away-day to Orient????

Agree with this.

Its probably worth drinking in Brum (as the choice of Pubs in Walsall are rubbish), and then getting a train to Bescot station (Walsall) in time for Kick-off.

Sounds like a plan to me. Just make sure we leave ever so slightly earlier this time, so we don't miss an early goal again!

Sounds like a plan to me. Just make sure we leave ever so slightly earlier this time, so we don't miss an early goal again!

Ha Ha!

When we left you in pub nos 7 to make our way to Orient, you lot had just ordered another round....

:rolleyes:

anyway good to meet up with you guys, it was a great session!

Any good photos to share?

to keep it on topic....Any thoughts on a watering hole / meeting place in Brum?

Ha Ha!

When we left you in pub nos 7 to make our way to Orient, you lot had just ordered another round....

:rolleyes:

anyway good to meet up with you guys, it was a great session!

Any good photos to share?

to keep it on topic....Any thoughts on a watering hole / meeting place in Brum?

lol, oh dear. In my defence, it was my one of my last drinks for the forseeable future, so I think I deserved to make the most of the day!!!

Photos are on Facebook. :)

Haven't a clue about pubs at the moment. Having thought about transport though, we may well be coming on a minibus, so makes more sense to stay local to Walsall than any other option which will involve unnecessary trains and/or driving.

I shall do some researchings and get back with thoughts.

Just got my ticket in the post, reserved seating.

Dains Stand, behind the goal.

I'm probably picking you out as an unfair example here, by why on earth do people put these posts up? "I've just bought my ticket" "I've just booked my train", if everyone who was doing this game did that, you'd have 10 pages of pointless s**te.

The whole point of this board should be to get/pass on decent info about the best way to get somewhere/cheapest trains available/best pubs/ticket sales info etc.............

Rant over :D

I'm probably picking you out as an unfair example here, by why on earth do people put these posts up? "I've just bought my ticket" "I've just booked my train", if everyone who was doing this game did that, you'd have 10 pages of pointless s**te.

The whole point of this board should be to get/pass on decent info about the best way to get somewhere/cheapest trains available/best pubs/ticket sales info etc.............

Yeah It does look a bit inane, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

In my defence I had actually asked a question about the ground which I subsequently found the answer to myself, so I deleted that part of the post.

I solemnly promise to never, ever, ever do it again, your honour. :-(

I'm going to buy match tickets after payday on the 15th. Just wanted to let you know.

Yeah It does look a bit inane, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

In my defence I had actually asked a question about the ground which I subsequently found the answer to myself, so I deleted that part of the post.

I solemnly promise to never, ever, ever do it again, your honour. :-(

Ha, no worries, just me having a moan! So, does anyone know anywhere decent for a beer in Walsall or not? ;)

The cheapest deal left looks to be £47 return Southampton to Birmingham New Street. There were some very cheap Virgin train deals going up from London, but as they go on sale 12 weeks prior to the date you need to move fairly quickly to get a bargain. If you plan to go by train to any away day other than london have a look on thetrainline.com or any of the rail operators websites rough 11-12 weeks in advance, usually booking 2 singles is the best bet for a deal.

There should be some advance deals on sale soon for Exeter.

Another way of saving money on away games is to drive a part of the way and then get the train. I've discovered that I can save £10 getting to and from Taunton to SMS by driving to Yeovil junction. Obviously you have to weigh up the fuel etc outlay but this is an option, especially if you are sharing the car and splitting the costs.

At the moment I am experimenting with driving to Bristol or maybe Birmingham for the Hartlepool game.

Villa v Hull and Wolves v Bolton also on same day, Brum and WBA and Coventry away ... it could have been a lot lot worse;)

yeah it could, although weirdly the train to Bescot Stadium stops at Witton and Aston so we'll be sharing a train full of Villa fans and maybe some Hull, although doubt either team will notice saints are playing that day, there must be a few occassions when Villa are at home to Spurs or someone like that and Walsall at home to Millwall etc.