Colchester

bungle

I live about 4 miles from the stadium. It's on the outskirts of an industrial/residential area. No 'real# parking anywhere near the ground, it is walkable from the station (mainline not 'town station') but it is a good few miles. There is a shuttle bus I think. My girlfriends brother says there is parking at the ground but limited and expensive.

Colchester is a pig of a place to get around/park in a car. There are multi-storeys but they are no where near the ground.

There is a pub that can be found by turning right out of the station but it is a bit 'spit n sawdust' though it is a cheap place to drink. Other than that you will need to get a cab into the town centre (about £7) where you will find the usual places (O'Neils etc etc).

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

Didn't realise they had a new ground. Looks pretty decent for a new League one ground.

Driving up and staying the night before with a friend in Essex, don't think there is much of a train service since it's the first working day after xmas.

I have been reliably informed that there are no trains at all on Dec 26, so on the Boxing Day Bank Holiday there might actually be a half-decent service.

As I'll be somewhere in Hertfordshire or Cambridgeshire on the morning of the game I'll be driving anyway.

I have been reliably informed that there are no trains at all on Dec 26, so on the Boxing Day Bank Holiday there might actually be a half-decent service.

As I'll be somewhere in Hertfordshire or Cambridgeshire on the morning of the game I'll be driving anyway.

Trains are running fairly regularly but engineering works from Liverppol St so you need to get tube to Newbury Park then special bus to Ilford for trains onto Colcheser which adds a little on to journey a dozen of us leaving Salisbury 8.20 due to get to Colchester 12.12

Boxing Day is Dec 26th. HTH.

Boxing Day is Dec 26th. HTH.

Ah, but Boxing Day isn't a bank holiday this year, as it is on a Saturday.

Hence the aforementioned Boxing Day Bank Holiday being on the next working day after Boxing Day. Which is the 28th. Which is the day of the above mentioned game.

Equally HTH.

Hence the aforementioned Boxing Day Bank Holiday being on the next working day after Boxing Day. Which is the 28th. Which is the day of the above mentioned game.

Equally HTH.

But (as The9 is fully aware as he's been told this as fact), Network Rail decide when it's Boxing Day, if there are trains on the 28th, then it can't be Boxing Day.

Nice to meet you on Saturday, BTW.

Equally HTH.

At work we're offered double time to work 26th, but on 28th nothing extra - because they don't believe it to be a bank holiday, might have had an easier job getting my shift covered if it was double time :(

But (as The9 is fully aware as he's been told this as fact), Network Rail decide when it's Boxing Day, if there are trains on the 28th, then it can't be Boxing Day.

Nice to meet you on Saturday, BTW.

I get both days off, and I don't need to worry about trains. All good.

Likewise. Was a good day, very sociable place. Think we outnumbered the Walsall somewhat!

Just decided that I'm going to go to this one. Any guesses about how many we will take there?

Isn't it the first time we will have played in their new ground. That should motivate a few extra to turn up.

The allocation is 1900.

Anything over 1000 would be a decent turn out for a game over xmas, not easy to get to with all the train work going on either.

Anything over 1000 would be a decent turn out for a game over xmas, not easy to get to with all the train work going on either.

First away after christmas, you usally get loads to.

All the familys buy tickets for the kids, grandparents etc.

Meaning the atmosphere will be sh1t and some old biddy will be telling me to sit down.

We really should shift the 1,900 for this being on a Bank Holiday, when the roads shouldn't be too bad. And it's a big game!

Only hope is we have a bit more boisterous support than turned up at Walsall, which was a bit too 'family' for my liking.

I'd planned on getting the train, but after reading up on it (miles from the station) and the fact i MUST get a train out of Colchester at 18:00 at the latest so as not to miss the last connecting train home, i've decided to drive.

TBH i wish i'd not bothered because it's going to be a boring affair - always is at subuteo stadiums dumped in an industrial estate miles from civilisation.

I'd planned on getting the train, but after reading up on it (miles from the station) and the fact i MUST get a train out of Colchester at 18:00 at the latest so as not to miss the last connecting train home, i've decided to drive.

TBH i wish i'd not bothered because it's going to be a boring affair - always is at subuteo stadiums dumped in an industrial estate miles from civilisation.

Cheer up!

Nice compact modern stadium, great views, good acoustics, should be a party! Plus I've been told that there is a shuttle bus from the station to the ground that only costs a quid. Can't comment on train times back to S'hampton though cos I'm out in London after the game.

Cheer up!

Nice compact modern stadium, great views, good acoustics, should be a party! Plus I've been told that there is a shuttle bus from the station to the ground that only costs a quid. Can't comment on train times back to S'hampton though cos I'm out in London after the game.

Yep, they depart outside "Big Yellow Storage", you can't miss it, however, if you want to drink it's easiest to get a taxi into town and then to the stadium, will cost you no more than £15.

Cheer up!

Modern stadiums are crap! As will the atmosphere on Monday.

Don't know they just said they stopped selling them Xmas eve.

Yeah, they told me that too. I'm somewhat confused and slightly annoyed with the Ticket Office at the mo':

They told me that I couldn't buy a ticket today as they stopped selling them on Christmas Eve. When I asked why they told me that it was because they couldn't post them out in time. When I pointed out that they could have allowed tickets to be collected instead, they simply told me that it had been publicised that they were coming off sale on Xmas Eve, which didn't really answer my question. I asked if we'd sold out, and they thought not. I then asked whether we could buy tickets on the day, and I was told that Colchester won't allow this. So in summary, we haven't sold out for it, but we stopped selling tickets for it 4 days before the game, and I can't buy a ticket on the day. Go figure.

If anyone knows any different to what I've been told, please let me know.

Hoping there are some 'factory' type parking near the stadium? Think there might be places for a £5 but anyone got 'insider knowledge' and a post code ??

Rapid Electronics is a straight 10 minute walk to the ground and they charge £5 to park in their car park. Post code is C04 5JS. Has easy access onto and off of the A12 as well.