US shows

Johnny Shearer

Have gotten in watching Dexter now. Really dark but with a touch of humour series. Most impressed by it.

Awaiting Heroes to return! Hopefully will pick up again after the short season 2 we had.

Anyone else watching shows from across the US which we haven't got over here or have lost track of due to the crazy scheduling?

Scrubs is a prime example for me. Channel 4/E4 and Paramount confused me what series was on which channel I just gave up.

Am looking forward to Breaking Bad - starting on FX soon.

Edited by Johnny Shearer

Dexter is great - series 3 is about to start in the US but you can watch the first one online on megavideo already. I watched it last night and looks like we will have another good series. Series 2 is currently available on Virgin's on demand service if you happen to have cable with them. Also watch Prison Break, Heroes and 24. PB started again earlier this month, 24 and heroes start again in January.

im into prison break season 4 at the mo

also LOVED The Sopranos.

have not seen or heard anything about the wire...is it good?

The Wire has been called the best show ever by some critics, but for some reason is only shown on FX,or some such channel. You can get each series (about 12 episodes) for about a score on ebay,well worth it.

Dexter is great - series 3 is about to start in the US but you can watch the first one online on megavideo already. I watched it last night and looks like we will have another good series. Series 2 is currently available on Virgin's on demand service if you happen to have cable with them. Also watch Prison Break, Heroes and 24. PB started again earlier this month, 24 and heroes start again in January.

Heroes starts this monday in the US AND Heroes starts here a week and a half later on the 01/10/08 on BBC2!

As for Dexter, I cannae wait for the finale either. Will have to look into the Wire too.

Seriously why aren't there shows like that here? Anyone remember Hex on Sky? That was pants.

Arrested Development!

I've got all 3 series on dvd, its one of the finest sitcoms i've seen.

If you like that check out 30 rock, Alec Baldwin gold.

The American Office is also worth checking out if you haven't seen it, just don't judge it on the first few episodes of the first series.

The Sopranos is immense, one of my favourite shows ever, ever, ever.

I really didn't think I would like the Wire when I first heard about it, but I gave it a try earlier this year and ended up watching all 5 series in little more than a month. :eek:

I've also just finished watching a mini-series called Generation Kill by the people who made the wire, which I found to be pretty good, it's about the first few weeks of the Iraq war. Bit of a shame it was only 7 episodes though.

I seem to be watching more US shows than British ones recently what with those two plus Dexter, Heroes, Prison Break, 24 etc...

Unfortunately most American shows just don't know when to stop. They start out new, interesting and fresh and flog the franchise to death until it becomes stale to the point that you start to hate everything about it and forget that at one time it was awesome.

Granted, there are one or two which haven't succumbed to that, The Wire for one, but most of the 'big' ones in the past have certainly done it.

Heroes starts this monday in the US AND Heroes starts here a week and a half later on the 01/10/08 on BBC2!

As for Dexter, I cannae wait for the finale either. Will have to look into the Wire too.

Seriously why aren't there shows like that here? Anyone remember Hex on Sky? That was pants.

Even better - must have confused Heroes with Lost. Will be downloading Heroes tomorrow then!

Unfortunately most American shows just don't know when to stop. They start out new, interesting and fresh and flog the franchise to death until it becomes stale to the point that you start to hate everything about it and forget that at one time it was awesome.

Granted, there are one or two which haven't succumbed to that, The Wire for one, but most of the 'big' ones in the past have certainly done it.

Yep, 24 is a prime example of that (In my opinion at least) the first couple of series were belters but it has descended into farce now, I wish they would call it a day for the sake of the show's legacy.

Yep, 24 is a prime example of that (In my opinion at least) the first couple of series were belters but it has descended into farce now, I wish they would call it a day for the sake of the show's legacy.

Agreed. Curb Your Enthusiasm another that is waning. Dexter starts again next week and hope it will be as good as the previous 2 seasons before it.

24 had two belters as you say, the next two were pretty crap but I quite enjoyed the last two even if it's nothing original anymore.

The Wire had totally passed me by so am looking to get it on DVD.

On the flip side, which US series have people enjoyed only for them to be prematurely discontinued. For me Firefly had several more runs left in it before the network stopped it. Twin Peaks another that was stopped in it's tracks with no resolution.

Dexter Series 2 is currently available on Virgin's on demand service if you happen to have cable with them.

Thanks for letting me know that, watched the first episode last night. Dexter is a quality programme. Read the first book recently and was a bit disappointed, might have been better if I hadn't already seen the series I suppose.

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but why does it appear in widescreen yet not at full size on my TV? I have a few inches of black around all four sides.

Poofter.:D

Are you my sister?

What it was a good quality show and very well written and produced by the guy behind Buffy AND Firefly.

And you cant argue not seeing a bit of Amy Acker on the show. She is lovely!

babe5big.jpg

Other than that I need to look up Birds of Prey. That was only one season long and never shown here.

Edited by Johnny Shearer

Don`t know if this counts as it is Canadian not American but one of the finest series I have seen is "Slings and Arrows". It follows the fortunes of a Canadian Theatre staging a Shakespeare Festival and is by turns very funny and movingly dramatic. It was hidden away on Sky Arts. They did 3 series, each of 6 episodes. I loved it so much that I bought the complete set from the U.S. as it doesn`t appear to be available over here.

I also never get fed up with watching "Two and a Half Men". Consistantly funny with an American child actor who not "cute" or twee.

The only decent US show is curb your enthusiasm!

Agree curb is pure genius, have you ever had a "larry david" moment? before that the sopranos was the last truely great series, planning on getting the wire box set when i can afford it, heard very good things. If you like comedy series you should check out summer heights high, very funny but australian not american :D

• 3 months later...

I have now watched season 1 - took a couple of episodes and thought it was good.

Second season - for me has got interesting at episode 5.

Season 3 - to be watched!

I believe a Season is going for £15 if you look around although not the case for season 5 yet.

I have now watched season 1 - took a couple of episodes and thought it was good.

Second season - for me has got interesting at episode 5.

thats interesting as I'm about to watch episode 5, so far season 2 has been quite slow building but definately going somewhere.

absolutely loved season 1.

For me - it does turn from this episode. And agree def a slower build up compared to the first season.

Just watched episodes 5,6, and 7 of season 2 and the tensioned is definately being cranked up. I love the way the show isn't afraid to kill off major characters, plus there was some top comical moments.

5 episodes in on series 1 of The Wire and the sodding DVD player packs up! It's good so far though. I got it on based on recommendations (and the lack of decent ideas for a christmas present for me) and it hasn't disappointed. It's good in that it doesn't go for the easy crime drama cliches and is still very very good.

I also never get fed up with watching "Two and a Half Men". Consistantly funny with an American child actor who not "cute" or twee.

Agree there. This is the only USA sitcom I've ever been able to handle.

Despite it's potentially awful title 'Two & A Half Men' is bloody good.

It's pretty near the knuckle for when it gets shown here as well (7pm). Plenty of fart gags, wan**** jokes and any amount of sh***ging inuendo (subtle and not-so...)

Is this on in the UK now then? What time & channel?