Savings on awaydays by rail - Oldham for example

RonManager

The issue of getting to away matches and the high prices for day returns comes up regularly. I saved nearly £1000 last season by booking as early as possible online. 2 examples were Taunton-Hartlepool return for £34 and Taunton - Norwich return for £32, one way 1st class!

I know this is early for the Oldham game which is on the 8th January (and is complicated by it being FA Cup 3rd round) , but it's really just to show the kind of savings that can be made if you book early through online sites.

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable

Pretty much half price. The ticket is to Manchester as the Oldham loop upgrade is not finished yet, but the bus is only a couple of quid each way.

Edited by RonManager

For some reason you can also often save money by splitting your journey into bits. For example Ulverston (in Cumbria) to Nottingham on Saturday for me and my daughter with railcard:

£96.10 if I buy return tickets straight through from Ulverston to Nottingham (via Manchester Piccadilly).

£75.40 if I buy separate returns from Ulverston to Manchester Piccadilly and from Manchester Piccadilly to Nottingham (and part of the journey is even cheapest first class).

Crazy, but true!

Good example of how much cheaper trains can work out if they're booked in advance, booked up a few tickets for Notts County for only £16 return with young persons/16-25 railcard, the same time trains are now £27.70 and normal return (with railcard) is £42. Spot the savings..

Unfortunately I now have a spare pair of those trains tickets, PM if interested.

For some reason you can also often save money by splitting your journey into bits. For example Ulverston (in Cumbria) to Nottingham on Saturday for me and my daughter with railcard:

£96.10 if I buy return tickets straight through from Ulverston to Nottingham (via Manchester Piccadilly).

£75.40 if I buy separate returns from Ulverston to Manchester Piccadilly and from Manchester Piccadilly to Nottingham (and part of the journey is even cheapest first class).

Crazy, but true!

Same happens on trips to Exeter, Torquay or Plymouth works out cheaper if your get return from home to Axminster then return form Axminster to destination, I sure this occurs in other areas around the country