Walsall Away Train Deals

Footballfan

The train companies have almost doubled the prices just because it's the last Saturday before xmas. Four travelling together from Soton the week before costs £30 pp, on the 18th 52pp. Looked at going on the national express from Southampton and it was just as expensive.

We are going up to London Victoria and then getting national express from there to Birminham, think it works out at £25 each based on four travelling together. Gets to Birmingham at 12.35 so I'll be fairly drunk by then I'd have thought :)

The train companies have almost doubled the prices just because it's the last Saturday before xmas. Four travelling together from Soton the week before costs £30 pp, on the 18th 52pp. Looked at going on the national express from Southampton and it was just as expensive.

We are going up to London Victoria and then getting national express from there to Birminham, think it works out at £25 each based on four travelling together. Gets to Birmingham at 12.35 so I'll be fairly drunk by then I'd have thought :)

There were cheap deals available for the 18th, just think they've all been snapped up now. Cheap ways of going from London to Brum are the line out of Marylebone to either Snow Hill or Moor Street (always cheap, even if you pay on the day and although slow, I'd take that over a coach) or the London Midland Service from Euston - again it is slow, but if you have Network South East Cards, buy returns to Northampton (or wherever the last station is within the "south east", I can't remember) and then another return from there to Brum.

Also worth buying your tickets through to the Bescot/Walsall, as its minimal extra cost on the ticket and saves hassle on the day.

There were cheap deals available for the 18th, just think they've all been snapped up now. Cheap ways of going from London to Brum are the line out of Marylebone to either Snow Hill or Moor Street (always cheap, even if you pay on the day and although slow, I'd take that over a coach) or the London Midland Service from Euston - again it is slow, but if you have Network South East Cards, buy returns to Northampton (or wherever the last station is within the "south east", I can't remember) and then another return from there to Brum.

Also worth buying your tickets through to the Bescot/Walsall, as its minimal extra cost on the ticket and saves hassle on the day.

Cheers mate, going through Euston saved a few quid and I don't have to go on the coach.

Cheers mate, going through Euston saved a few quid and I don't have to go on the coach.

It baffles me why people continue to use thetrainline.com - they offer exactly the same routes and fares as the operators themselves, but they whack on handling fees at the end as well.

I usually book mine through Virgin Trains, although it's often worth checking the operator of the train you're travelling on to see if the fare is slightly different. One leg of the return trip from Carlisle this week is using TransPennine Express rather than Virgin, and the same fare was about £3 cheaper than Virgin through their site.

Had more of a play around. 37 quid each to Birmingham New Street return from Eastleigh. Bit more acceptable.

Will taxi the Brum New street to Bescot bit.

you could train it.

Bescot Stadium Station is right behind the away end, and the train to new street return is just £3.10.

approx every half hour and a 20-30 min trip.

you could train it.

Bescot Stadium Station is right behind the away end, and the train to new street return is just £3.10.

approx every half hour and a 20-30 min trip.

I couldn't seem to get decent times/prices online, but suppose we could just buy the Brum New Street tickets in advance, and the final leg to Bescot on the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Break the journey up - Soton to Reading, Reading to Banbury, & Banbury to Brum.

It means an extra few tickets but works out alot cheaper because you can take advantage of the cheap days returns rather than one open return on the one ticket. The service from Soton to Brum goes via all these stations so you don't need to get off. Doing this it's about £35 quid return, whereas Soton to Brum on one ticket is about £65.

Break the journey up - Soton to Reading, Reading to Banbury, & Banbury to Brum.

It means an extra few tickets but works out alot cheaper because you can take advantage of the cheap days returns rather than one open return on the one ticket. The service from Soton to Brum goes via all these stations so you don't need to get off. Doing this it's about £35 quid return, whereas Soton to Brum on one ticket is about £65.

Yep good all. Although, I might be wrong, but can just do it Southampton - Banbury and then Banbury - Walsall.