docker-p
11-12-2010, 04:00 PM
...Bugger

Ewell
11-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Poor result. Nothing more to say.

SaintNeil90
What the f**k has happened to this team this year??? We will not go up with this inconsistency. Don't want to hear people say keep the faith or plenty more games left because we have been saying that for the last two months and we are still miles away from the top!

the wedge
Yawn-tastic.

Leslie Charteris
11-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Still only 1 point off a play-off place.

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:02 PM
How depressing......

But it was always possible, we cannot score against well organised sides, it doesn't matter how well we do against Dagenham and Tranmere and crap of that ilk, these are the games that count. WE have no effective striker,it's been a problem all season and it hasn't been correctly addressed.

Might I add that we need to turn out at Walsall wearing the correct kit....the red and white stripes that have always been good enough for us in the past.
We need to ditch the sash and let players remember exactly who they're playing for in the shirt that has been good enough for players far better than they'll ever be.

DrunkenSaint
11-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I recently went to an Aldershot game when they played Brentford in the cup as my friend is a die hard Shots supporter and it was for his birthday, Brentford were terrible (so were Aldershot to be fair). The shots only scored one goal but could have been more as thier defence was very poor. I really cant believe we lost to these.

SaintNeil90
But it was always possible, we cannot score against well organised sides, it doesn't matter how well we do against Dagenham and Tranmere and crap of that ilk, these are the games that count. WE have no effective striker,it's been a problem all season and it hasn't been correctly addressed.

Nail on head. Lambert has been off form all year, Guly is inconsistent, Connolly is injury prone and off form, Barnard has his off field troubles!

Saint Billy
I suppose we are building up to our normal xmas form.

Depressed!

SuperMikey
11-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Incredibly disappointing result, we'll come to regret losing 3 points today later on in the season when games like this count the most.

BallBoy
11-12-2010, 04:05 PM
No silver linings that I can think of. A lousy, lousy day. I knew Brentford would not be easy but no goals, two poor defensive errors and almost all other results going against us.

I was unable to go today. It is just horrible sitting at home and watching everything go wrong. A Charlton win tomorrow will put us 7 points off 2nd place.

Some other results went for us but today was an opportunity badly missed.

corky morris
11-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Christmas party last night so decided not to drive 180 miles each way & boy am i f u c k i n g chuffed i did not make the effort.
Not happy about this at all. Mistakes are mistakes, but we are not scoring.
Big game next week. It is going to be interesting to compare how we played against them last year where we won 4-1 & absolutely mullered them. It was still not good enough to get us promoted, but as we sit today I honestly believe we are worse now than we were last year.
Getting worried about Adkins too. Very poor performances at Hudders, Carlisle, Shrewsbury & again today do not bode well & Mr Lambert is like a Sunday morning player not one who got almost 40 goals last year.
Very worried indeed!

hackedoff
That ladies and gentlemen is a prime example of why this team are going to face yet another season in this league. It has a punchless attack, uncompetitive midfield, porous defence and lacks bottle thoughout.
The manager and chairman can say what they like but the stark truth is that this lot is way,way short of promotion. End of.

badgerx16
still miles away from the top!
1) 5 points off automatic promotion with a game in hand.
2) Everybody else is also inconsistent.
3) If NC is to achieve his avowed aims, there will be changes in 3 weeks when the window opens.

Saint_Jonny
11-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Not even in the play offs at the start of december. Its not like we've got a point deficit to battle with. There are no excuses really are there? I'm not saying we wont go up, because there is a long way to go, but if we keep this up we wont even make the play offs.

Leslie Charteris
11-12-2010, 04:08 PM
How much do you think Pardew would pay for Lambo?

Thedelldays
11-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Just sat in my car that comedy show

Butterfield, Dickson, Lallana and guly did ok

The rest were poor

Then you have jaidi and Davis..
Jaidi is past it and had a complete mare..

Kelvin was pathetic.. Poor distribution from the off and pathetic goal keeping for the goals

Adkins was disappointing... Leaving it so late to being conolly on..

Shocking display and we won't go up if we are capable if today

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
How much do you think Pardew would pay for Lambo?

50p. And there he'd be doing us a favour.
Lambert in his current form is worth absolutely f..all.

Victor
11-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Still only 1 point off a play-off place.

30 - 28 = 2

skintsaint
11-12-2010, 04:10 PM
**** result, but i expect us to bounce back from this.

monkadill
11-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I bet Saints would win, my fault..

latter day saint
11-12-2010, 04:12 PM
**** result, but i expect us to bounce back from this.
we probably will, then go & stuff up again

Saint_Jonny
Playing bottom of the table Walsall next week, i'm going to that, so we will WIN and be back on form! :D

I'm off out to get **** faced and see fatboy slim so **** you lot and **** off Saints! :D

Leslie Charteris
Whoops! Looking at this morning's table.:blush:

WATERSIDEIFASAINT
11-12-2010, 04:16 PM
lets hope the new players we hope to bring in January are currently finalising deals and are signed in the 1st few days of January before we lose too much ground unless the weather does us a massive favour a snows off the christmas fixtures.I do not fancy us beating Charlton and Huddersfield with our currently inept strikeforce.

Really really poor result.Lets hope we have a big backlash to today and go on a serious unbeaten run

Super_Uwe
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
A very depressing result. Perhaps a bit further away from emulating Barcelona than we'd hoped...

Red and White Russ
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Incredibly disappointing result, we'll come to regret losing 3 points today later on in the season when games like this count the most.

Yes the relegation battle will be tough. :(

SaintNeil90
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
1) 5 points off automatic promotion with a game in hand.
2) Everybody else is also inconsistent.
3) If NC is to achieve his avowed aims, there will be changes in 3 weeks when the window opens.

1) All well and good if you can win... no sorry... score in a game of football against half decent opposition. We have been about this many points of for a VERY long time and not made up any ground.
2) The teams above are not as inconsistent as us
3) 'There will' IF we can sign the player we want, if not then we wont sign anyone and will wait until summer

Norm
11-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Just sat in my car that comedy show

Butterfield, Dickson, Lallana and guly did ok

The rest were poor

Then you have jaidi and Davis..
Jaidi is past it and had a complete mare..

Kelvin was pathetic.. Poor distribution from the off and pathetic goal keeping for the goals

Adkins was disappointing... Leaving it so late to being conolly on..

Shocking display and we won't go up if we are capable if today

The rest were poor! Please, you are far too kind. I'm just home and I really can't believe how bad 90% of the team were today. But then I realise that Brentford failed to read the pre match script. They outplayed us/outfought us/out thought us/beat us to every header/tackle. We got exactly what we deserved today, nothing. Beaten by a far better side.
As for RL, what on earth has happened?

saint lard
11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Adkins remains a disappointing appointment.

What a waste of what was a talented squad.

Lighthouse
11-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Gash. Just gash. The only two Saints players to come out of today's game with any credit were BWP and Skacel. Sadly they left 18 months ago and I had to watch that shoyt. We were awful all over the park. It was like the Wilkins games all over again.

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=Lighthouse;910757 It was like the Wilkins games all over again.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect he's still here.

Dalek2003
11-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Depressing result, just got back from the countryside. Had to flee Norwich as rumours of plague carriers in the City. Just recieved a text from a Canary to say they was robbed, I replied with words so HMCustoms and Revenue !
Probably not safe to go out tonight methinks.

bpsaint
11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Despite reading about Brentfords good away from in the Echo this week I was still confident this would be a hardfought yet comfortable win, how clearly wrong I was. We were just **** today,not poor or bad,just ****ing ****. Some people complain Pardew had no plan B but its fair to say following the games at Carlisle and today neither does Adkins. Why was no effort made to strengthen our squad during the loan window? Its clear for most to see how lacking in depth we are at the moment, as soon as I heard Barney and Fonte were out I thought we'd struggle because there's not much fight in our squad without them.

Hope there really is money to strengthen in January and its not just talk to appease the fans as its going to be another year of League 1 football otherwise.

St Marco
11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
4 points from the last 12. Not good enough.

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:36 PM
4 points from the last 12. Not good enough.

as few as that? did I miss a game somewhere?

tobes8
11-12-2010, 04:36 PM

What a waste of what was a talented squad.

I totally agree...

when Adkins was appointed I said i was not at all convinced, especially when things would potentially start to go wrong. I was worried that he would not have the ability to motivate players and would nto have the tacticle ability to change things and that was totally apparent to all who where there today. Although I dont think we have played well in recent matches either.
When you have a someone like guly who is not actually bad with his head, why then go and put him on the wing? play chamberlain up top and then keep hitting 50 yard balls up to him in the air? I just dont get it.

Martin should have started today, he has some potential but will want off in January. Lambert cant become a bad player in the course of a few months and we are not playing to his strengths, he is not even getting the chances.

Poor poor poor!

St Marco
11-12-2010, 04:38 PM
as few as that? did I miss a game somewhere?

Brentford = Loss
Brighton = Draw
Peterborough = Win
Carlisle = Loss

So thats 4 points from last 12.

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Brentford = Loss
Brighton = Draw
Peterborough = Win
Carlisle = Loss

correct,that's poor then, especially as we now need somewhere around 2.2 points per game for automatic promotion.

corky morris
11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Any comment from Adkins yet???

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Any comment from Adkins yet???

on now

trained well for 10 days, couldn't score, unacceptable,their keeper made some great saves,blah blah di blah.

Dalek2003
11-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Groundhog day...since 2004.

BRING BACK GLENDA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stepgar
11-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Brentford = Loss
Brighton = Draw
Peterborough = Win
Carlisle = Loss

Not really Championship winning form is it? Lets just hope those above us keep losing and dropping points, then we can make a transfer or two to STRENGTHEN not just add to the squad and go on a big second half push.

itchen
11-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Disappointing. And very cold. We were poor and missed Fonte, Barnard and Chaplow. On the bright side, I can only recall Kelvin having to make two saves (which, unfortunately, he didn't). And we hit the post and had a couple of good on-target shots beaten away by the keeper. On the down side, we passed poorly, resorting to long balls to nobody in particular. Guly was good-ish, Lallana tried hard but tried to go it alone right at the end when a pass to Connolly would have been better. Lambert received the ball well and flicked it on but there was nobody there to receive it. Jaidi was slow. Chamberlain was not up to his usual standard. Referee was dreadful.

Stepgar
11-12-2010, 04:46 PM
on now

trained well for 10 days, couldn't score, unacceptable,their keeper made some great saves,blah blah di blah.

Has he mentioned it about winning a game of football yet?

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Has he mentioned it about winning a game of football yet?

No, must have forgotten his script.

corsacar saint
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
For the second time in a month Brighton lose,and low and behold so do the Saints bottlers. To say we were poor,would be being kind.
The team today is miles away from the team that played last season.No passion,no guile,no midfield,no finishers,no one holding the defence together.On that showing we need 4/5 new players at least in january. Well p***ed off,simply not good enough,and for the
record I expect their entire team earns less than one or two of our prima donas. As for the best shot stopper in the league.

Greenridge
11-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Inept. What a dreadful performance both individually and as a team. No urgency, no shape, no midfield. Badly missed the spine of the team with Fonte, Chaplow and Barnard missing. Just shocking and disappointing. Let's hope it's a one-off.

Wade Garrett
Hammond and Schneiderlin were absolute gash in the midfield. We definitely missed Chaplow. Neither of them were demanding the ball and were both ineffective. Lambert's effort today was disgraceful. On one occasion he found himself offside when it took him about 20 seconds to bother himself to get from the edge of their box to the halfway line. He should be dropped, he really needs a kick up the arse.

We definitely need to sign a central midfield player and another forward. Adkins disappointed me today as well. The late substitution was ineffective, as was putting AOC up front and pumping high balls in to him.

Deppo
What the f**k has happened to this team this year???

We lost a game today.

Window Cleaner
Last season,awful as our start was,we had only actually lost 4 games after 19, I think this was our 7th loss this season so far,
which just isn't acceptable. In fact we now have obtained 1 less point than last season at the same stage.WE need to sort out the striking problem straight away, I am sure that AP would have sorted it in the transfer window.

Weston Saint
11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Played without energy, without movement and without ideas.

One of our main problems is still midfield central. Side pass and back. We missed the sort of forward movement that Chaplow gives.

I actually thought Lambert worked hard for the team but his loss of goal scoring form is a big worry.

No need to comment on Davis, today's performance says it all.

Chamberlain is not ready. He is a promising 17 year old who needs to learn. He looked out of place for much of the game today.

Brentford defended well and looked dangerous on the break. We looked good when we went forward but ran out of ideas or made the wrong decision too too often

Very disappointed with a very poor performance.

We do not look like a side battling for promotion. Role on January transfer window.

St Marco
11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Not really Championship winning form is it? Lets just hope those above us keep losing and dropping points, then we can make a transfer or two to STRENGTHEN not just add to the squad and go on a big second half push.

No it isn't good. As i said in the other thread it is like Burley has come back. Lambert has turned into Rasiak/John. We rely on him which is great when they are in form, but if they aren't then we struggle. Someone said that is 7 games now without scoring. God knows how many since he scored from free play. We can't play another way. If he is down then take him off, change the system. The tactic changes and subs were just stupid today. The whole point of having subs is so you can either replace injured/knackered people or change the system. We don't seem to make the most of what is on the bench.

The next few games are huge, we have Walsall and Charlton away. Walsall are bottom and Charlton are near the top. But after that we have Huddersfield again. So basically 2 of the next 3 games are against teams in the top 4. If we play like that then we will lose and be pretty much looking at playoffs rather then auto promotion.

K,Billy's supersound
Total ****e.
was the worst performance i have seen this season from the worst saints team i have ever seen.

i really hope adkins is given both time and money to bring in the players he wants.

Toomer
A vert bad day at the office, to many more performances like that and we can forget the play offs let alone automatic promotion.

adj250770
11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Last season,awful as our start was,we had only actually lost 4 games after 19, I think this was our 7th loss this season so far,
which just isn't acceptable. In fact we now have obtained 1 less point than last season at the same stage.WE need to sort out the striking problem straight away, I am sure that AP would have sorted it in the transfer window.

How much does Danny Butterfield sounds like AP on Solent?!?!?

del boy
11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh dear, that was depressing

Doesn't anyone care?

It frustrates me when the other side look like they want it more - we should never let that happen

Did anyone see Bart passing balls back to Kelv at half time - he let two go right through his hands!?

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I fully expect NC will bawl someone out this week.

hypochondriac
11-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Worst performance I have seen this year. Terrible.

Saints foreva
11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
That bench was ****ing awful today!

Oxo was poor, think he is burning out too quickly.

Lambert was better, winning lots of headers and keeping the ball well. Isn't going to score many with the lack of service he's getting.

MacDonald and Alexander were fantastic for Brentford, Jaidi and Seaborne didn't know how to deal with them.

Hopefully we see Barnard, Fonte, Martin and Chaplow return to the team against Walsall or we're in trouble.

January needs to be an important month for Saints, we're not good enough to go up at the moment.

Stu Man Do
11-12-2010, 05:04 PM
No depth to our squad at the moment. Unlike last season no one useful on the bench to change the game though surely today making a change would have helped! Poor poor poor today not sure I think anyone in that team comes out of this with any positive spin! Need a pacey winger/ Striker in as a bare minimum!

saint1977
11-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Massive changes and massive funds needed in the window. Couldn't go today as broken arm and in plaster still so can't drive until Xmas but plan to be at Hudds and Exeter games.

Out: Morgan S - 250k, Puncheon 250k Millwall, Jaidi - free, Connolly - free, Lambert if we can but who will take him on those wages? Guly back to Italy.

In: Chaplow, Ryan Harley, Le Fondre (all essential if any chance of getting in top 6, let alone top 2), Austin/Madine/Glenn Murray/Vokes - pick any 2 and CB to replace Jaidi.

Get Lambert out of the squad, I'd rather have Jaidi as a target man until Jan and he's played up front for Brum and Bolton when needed. Or give Butterfield a go? Why was Barnard missing?

Nexstar
11-12-2010, 05:07 PM
The Brentford goals were nothing special and they didn't play better.

Richard Lee is a great keeper and make a couple of cracking saves in the first half.

We need to be able to get results when key players (fonte, chaplow and barnard) are out, so investment is 100% needed come January.

Kelvin was shaky and Bart therefore deserves to play next weekend.

I thought Dickson had a great game and was the shining light in our team.

Guly Do Prado was atrocious and HAS to go back to wherever the hell he came from in January.

We missed players A LOT, and need much more strength in depth.

Atleast Nigel was honest on the radio and didn't use the phrase "it's about winning games of football"....swings and roundabouts?

Weston Saint
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Barnard is injured. Causing a bit of concern I think.

hypochondriac
11-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Barnard is injured. Causing a bit of concern I think.

Who is concerned? Is it a serious injury?

Weston Saint
11-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Who is concerned? Is it a serious injury?Same injury he has been carrying all season

Thedelldays
11-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh dear, that was depressing

Doesn't anyone care?

It frustrates me when the other side look like they want it more - we should never let that happen

Did anyone see Bart passing balls back to Kelv at half time - he let two go right through his hands!?

Yeah.. Saw that..
Had to laugh

hypochondriac
11-12-2010, 05:11 PM
That bench was ****ing awful today!

Oxo was poor, think he is burning out too quickly.

Lambert was better, winning lots of headers and keeping the ball well. Isn't going to score many with the lack of service he's getting.

MacDonald and Alexander were fantastic for Brentford, Jaidi and Seaborne didn't know how to deal with them.

Hopefully we see Barnard, Fonte, Martin and Chaplow return to the team against Walsall or we're in trouble.

January needs to be an important month for Saints, we're not good enough to go up at the moment.

I do wonder what game people see sometimes compared to me. I only saw him run once all game and I was paying special attention to him.

Harry Bloggs
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I think everyone agrees that the team's performance was very disappointing but what worries me more was the manager's delay in making any changes until eight minutes before the end. Surely he should have tried Connolly,Doble or Gobern after an hour when it was pretty clear to everyone that the eleven on the pitch weren't getting anywhere.We had nothing to lose. First substitution with eight minutes remaining? I begin to wonder about Adkins.

Stepgar
11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
We lost a game today.

I think most fans can except the odd loss from time to
time - but the manner we are losing games is disgraceful compared to how we were last season. And remember the majority of the team are still here from last season.

Wes Tender
11-12-2010, 05:20 PM
The team that played today is the one that lacked the commitment to dominate and go for every ball. The team that had that type of player was Brentford. The players that we needed today that play with spirit and endeavour are Fonte, Barnard and Chaplow. We lacked a spine, so the performance was accordingly spineless. I really have lost patience with Lambert and personally would have been happy to have had Connolly on much sooner, even with Doble alongside him. The only forward player who showed some intent was Gully, but he needed Lambert to have been on form to have made an impact. Lallana and Chamberlain both blew hot and cold, regrettably far more cold than hot.

It was obvious that when it became clear that the half-time talk had failed to motivate the players into lifting themselves, that substitutions needed to be made with at least 30 minutes left on the clock, but bringing on Connolly was too little too late.

We could still have been playing now and wouldn't have scored. Frankly, we were that bad.

Where is Dan Harding? Is he injured? He would have done a better job in defence today and I don't ever recall him lacking commitment.

The sooner that we reverse this awful result and start returning to winning habits, the better I will feel about this season.

Dan Johnson
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Went to the game today my thoughts...

Kelvin Davis - 4 - had little to do, but what he did have to do... he did wrong. Surely didn’t help his confidence with 2 poor defenders in front of him

Dickinson - 6.5 -Apart from a lazy pass towards the end, was one of our better players, tried to get forward as often as he could

Jedi - 4 - he just looks so so uncomfortable on the ball, his defensive tactics just seem to be about bundling people over and being a big lump. In the first half he lost out to at least 3 heads to a guy a foot shorter than him

Seaborne - 4 - Looks more composed on the ball than jedi, but defends just as badly, allows players to take a touch and turn before hustling and tackling, too many long balls forward not good enough

Butterfield - 6 - solid enough I suppose

Chamberlin - 5.5 - looked to use his pace as often as he could, but was marked out the game. Missed a great opportunity and went missing for large periods

Spider man - 4 - offered nothing today

Hammond - 4 - tried to lead by example and ran around like a headless chicken... only problem is his run is everyone else’s jog!! If you want to try and impose yourself on games you need an all action midfield that can get around the field quickly, Hammond just isn’t that midfielder. To Slow and to lethargic!

Lallana – 6 - showed flashes but at times is too “Roy of the rovers” gets his head down, runs straight at goal and then into defenders. Sometimes there’s a ball to be played and he just doesn’t play it. So much still to learn

De Ped – 5 – looked interested at times, and completely uninterested at others. Flat footed like most of the team today. We missed barny buzzing around and pulling defenders wide BIG TIME!!

Lambert – 6 – played well today, put the running in, won most flick ons, but subsequently he doesn’t have enough pace to put defenders under pressure quick enough and when he won the headers… no one was there to collect them.

Saint Fan CaM
11-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I do wonder what game people see sometimes compared to me. I only saw him run once all game and I was paying special attention to him.

Absolutely correct. We said before the game that perhaps we might see a performance from Lambert today in case his mate at Newcastle might be looking. What a joke that was - Lambert was absolute gash today and not even worthy of a place on the bench. To be fair the entire team was awful, but special criticism to Kelv, the two CB's and the two central midfielders - no energy, no guile, always passing sideways or backwards. The most depressing game this season so far - keep this up Adkins and you'll be gone before January's out. Transfers needed in January big time.

offix
11-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Such a statement should not be based on the result of a single bad game. but having said that, looking at the overall performance of the team so far, which can at best be described as "under achieving", I share the sentiment.

fanimal
11-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Jus really did not see that one coming! Why does one monumental cock up knock the stuffing out of a team, as until then their keeper had made 2 blinding saves; then we should have had a stone all penalty, absolute blatant deliberate hand ball - at 1-1 we would have gone on to win.
2nd half after 15 minute noisy encouragement, why not go 4 3 3, go for it!!? Why take Ricky off? Why put a winger in the middle? Why Guly out wide - sorry, plan B terrible.
Did Lallana really hit the post?? Had his worst game for a long time, that hurt us big time....

rocknrollman no2
11-12-2010, 05:26 PM
We were out played,out sung and totally lacked ideas.
Why wasnt it changed when it was obvious we were not getting anywhere?
Why is it when the team has a rest,we come back like we couldnt care less?
Total waste of time.

dannysfc
11-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I also was at the game today as I'm one of the ST holders on here in the Northam and am Gutted and Annoyed after that defeat today and I thought that it looked like that they wanted it more than us although it didn't help that we were missing Key players like Chaplow, Fonte, Barnard etc!
And hopefully this defeat is only a one off and that we should bounce back n beat Walsall next week which I should also be at!
COYR :D!!

St Marco
11-12-2010, 05:31 PM
We were out played,out sung and totally lacked ideas.
Why wasnt it changed when it was obvious we were not getting anywhere?
Why is it when the team has a rest,we come back like we couldnt care less?
Total waste of time.

Have to agree. While we are talking about our team you have to give a lot of credit to Brentford. They came to play and were very positive. They had the desire to get the ball and tried to go forward. Even when at 0-2 they still went forward. They out classed us in every area and it is a good lesson to our players. If you have the wrong attitude and can't be arsed then you deserve to lose. So well done to Brentford, they did a professional job on us.

adriansfc
11-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Gutted. 4 points from 3 hone games is disgusting form in a league like this. It's clearly win or bust this season yet we find another performance like that. I'm not judging Adkins, I'll do that in may, but it's been a terrible season so far. Beyond that really, it's been ****ing embarrassing losing so many home games. We shouldn't be losing once at at marys against these teams.

Dodgy defending, woeful keeping and a striker who cant score anymore.

Too much reliance on fonte and too much waiting to lamberts form to return. Assume it won't and replace him. If it comes back it's a bonus.

Deppo
11-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I think most fans can except the odd loss from time to
time - but the manner we are losing games is disgraceful compared to how we were last season. And remember the majority of the team are still here from last season.

We've lost 3 games under Adkins. One of which was a few days after he took over. Could you explain to me the manner in which we lost these games so I can form a better opinion? Start with the 2-0 loss to Huddersfield and the 3-2 loss to Carlisle.

Deppo
11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
We had a bad day. It's not the end of the world. It's not even the end of the season. Get over it and have a nice weekend everyone. The weather is much milder.

kpturner
11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
..... and almost all other results going against us....Some other results went for us.....Bipolar ?

Amesbury Saint
11-12-2010, 05:47 PM
utter utter crap.

worst I have seen Saints play at home for a while.

hopefully a one off bad day but some serious strengthening needed in Jan.

only bright spot was hearing Pompey manager speak about their financial problems.

We were utter crap!

manji
11-12-2010, 05:50 PM
We've lost 3 games under Adkins. One of which was a few days after he took over. Could you explain to me the manner in which we lost these games so I can form a better opinion? Start with the 2-0 loss to Huddersfield and the 3-2 loss to Carlisle.

I guess he means under Pardew we were excellent in the way we lost games. Presumably that is why Newcastle were so keen to have him. I miss those superb defeats........................

kpturner
11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
utter utter crap.

worst I have seen Saints play at home for a while.

hopefully a one off bad day but some serious strengthening needed in Jan.

only bright spot was hearing Pompey manager speak about their financial problems.

We were utter crap!

So you didn't watch Saints 0 - Swindon 3 ?

Toss up between which performance was worse, but at least we only conceded 2 today. Most comical moment was our throw-in near the end that went straight to their unmarked striker. LMFAO.

alexdawkins
11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
sad to say, but adkins is not the answer. he is a physio. he may be a good coach, but he is totally and utterly inept as a manager. and i thought he was meant to replacing the 'long ball' approach of pardew...? all we did every time we got the ball today was lump it high and long to an out of form lambert. there is no way that we would have fewer points if pardew was still here, though i know he was limited too.

Marino
11-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Someone said we always struggle against well organised sides.
Wouldnt it be great if for once,just for once,Saints were well organised.

kpturner
11-12-2010, 06:00 PM
sad to say, but adkins is not the answer. he is a physio. he may be a good coach, but he is totally and utterly inept as a manager. and i thought he was meant to replacing the 'long ball' approach of pardew...? all we did every time we got the ball today was lump it high and long to an out of form lambert. there is no way that we would have fewer points if pardew was still here, though i know he was limited too.Bit harsh! The team he put on the pitch should have been good enough to perform better than that, and I doubt they had specific instructions to lump it. Looking at the bench it was difficult pick a player that could make any difference to that shower of sh1te.

ottery st mary
11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Saints...This is your final warning.......

Nigel FFS sort it out or you will be given to the Salvation Army for xmas.

I am not impressed...Someone on this forum promised soooo much after tearing strips off Pards every week/day.

Have I been misled about our Nigels greatness...????

PS They all need a kick up the backside...pleeeese..

Elmore
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Damn and blast!

Red&White
11-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I think everyone agrees that the team's performance was very disappointing but what worries me more was the manager's delay in making any changes until eight minutes before the end. Surely he should have tried Connolly,Doble or Gobern after an hour when it was pretty clear to everyone that the eleven on the pitch weren't getting anywhere.We had nothing to lose. First substitution with eight minutes remaining? I begin to wonder about Adkins.

Yes I agree I`m afraid bloody poor show

kpturner
11-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes I agree I`m afraid bloody poor show

Maybe Connolly only has 10 minutes in him!

Can't see Doble or Gobern making any difference - i.e not really "impact players", so why are they on the bench? Because we have a depleted squad.

corky morris
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Just read Brentford's manager's comments on BBC & he is basically taking the p i s s out of us!! Said it was the easiest win of all of the last 5!!
That says it all for me...........

Deppo
11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Saints...This is your final warning.......

Nigel FFS sort it out or you will be given to the Salvation Army for xmas.

I am not impressed...Someone on this forum promised soooo much after tearing strips off Pards every week/day.

Have I been misled about our Nigels greatness...????

PS They all need a kick up the backside...pleeeese..

Why is it his final warning? He's lost 3 games. THREE GAMES. (One three days after he took over). Grow up. Santa won't be coming to see spoilt children this year.

Huffton
11-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Brian Clough's approach to team building summed us up perfectly today. Cloughie had a good goalie, a good centre half, a good centre mid and a good striker as a spine, then fitted the rest in round them. Today Kelvin had a bad day, Fonte was out, Chaplow was out, Rickie is still not at the races. Bang goes our spine.
What concerns me more than the performance is Adkins reluctance to change things when it was clear we weren't getting anywhere.
All teams have off days, its the reaction that matters after a day like today.

ottery st mary
11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Why is it his final warning? He's lost 3 games. THREE GAMES. (One three days after he took over). Grow up. Santa won't be coming to see spoilt children this year.

Because I am a soft touch and was led to believe Nigel was faaar better coach/manager than good old Pards..

So benefit of the doubt....hence reference to xmas being the red card day if results do not improve..

Santa always come to see me:rolleyes:..hopefully on Boxing day when we stuff Exeter....Please Santa..:)

70's Mike
11-12-2010, 06:19 PM

So you are not worried by that performance?

Something has been missing all season, not sure what but we seem to have an arrogance based on reputations rather than current performances.
Big concern for me today was the bench, no one on it, imo, who could come on and change game.

Window Cleaner
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I wish we still had Nile Ranger, I'd like to see yer Brentford's and Carlisles faced with that sort of percussion.They'd give Lambert
acres of space then.

derry
11-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I have never rated Davis as he is purely a linebound shotstopper. The biggest criticism I have is that he shows poor judgement and is flaky. He doesn't come off his line to dominate the box and undermines his defence by indecision. I will be glad when he is gone and we have a proper goalkeeper. At fault today and showed all his shortcomings without the shotstopping.

The central midfield was appalling. The last thing we need is two pedestrian negative players. Schneiderlin is a luxury we can't afford in the face of mobile athleticism. His sole thought is to unload the ball and move sideways. We need athleticism, pace, forward driving movement and aggression from our midfield not comfort zone meaningless, slow, square and backward buildups allowing defences to consolidate.

We were dominated today by an aggressive, athletic, hard working side but with a decent goalkeeper might still have got something out of the game. IMO we need a keeper, centre back, two central midfielders, two strikers, and two wide players. We are a very slow side, lacking pace, so from now on it should be a requirement that any player we sign to get us out of the Championship (stated aim of club's transfer strategy.) must be athletic and quick.

alexdawkins
Bit harsh! The team he put on the pitch should have been good enough to perform better than that, and I doubt they had specific instructions to lump it. Looking at the bench it was difficult pick a player that could make any difference to that shower of sh1te.

Connolly?? If i was David Connolly i would hand in a transfer request in the morning. you sit on the bench watching that absolute garbage only to be given 8 minutes...? outrageous. although he may struggle with his fitness, connolly is a class above most of this lot and a very intelligent player.

barney
Total lack of effort today and that is unforgiveable,squad is wafer thin reinforcements are badly needed.
Some players inc RL are now playing for their saints careers in the next few games and i dont believe thats being too dramatic.

Appy
11-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Reminded me alot of the Doncaster and Forest games from 08/09.

It was terrible, some serious momey needs to be spent.

corsacar saint
11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Derry is basically spot on,although 4/5 players maybe nearer our requirements with Fonte,Chaplow and Barnard to come back.
Also I do not think it is fair to castigate NA until he gets some of his own players in.[The substitutions today were far too late,but did he have any better offensive options on the bench][Maybe the fitness of Connolly is not up to much more than a cameo role?]

Chez
11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
As has been said by others it was a poor display from both individuals and a team. Adkins wants the side passing out from the back yet all we saw in the first half was long balls up to the two big strikers. In the second half we started to pass from the back but that only lasted for about ten minutes and was far too deep and square. A new striker is a must, but also having Guly as our cover for wide right is a worry. Puncheon or Guly? Easy choice for me.

Davis 4 Two great saves and some very good distribution. But itIt wouldn't matter what good things he did though as the mistake for the first goal was Robert Green like. Not sure if he was at fault for second. I can forgive him, he has saved us so many times its noit true.
Butterfield 2 Woeful display. Didn't tackle, didn't win headers, let the ball bounce, didn't get tight, poor passing, poor throw ins and some crap crosses. Worst display from him since he came here.
Jaidi 6 Won a fair bit, but not everything. I also liked the fact he brought the ball down and passed to a white shirt. He is often criticised for his distribution, but it wasn't too bad at all today.
Seaborne 4 got worse as the game went on. I've said it so many times, he does not win enough in the air and that costs us in the end. Distribution is normally pretty good (he is a decent footballer) but it was poor today.
Dickson 7 worked his socks off and was up and down that line all day long. Great engine and desire.
Hammond 7 Also worked his socks off with Chaplow like runs in hte second half. Unfortunately I didn't see enough movement from the two centre midfield players to recive the ball from throws and from fullbacks especially in the first half. AT least one needs to offer himself, but they didn't.
Schneidelin 3 I rate him highly, but this was a poor display. Stationary in the first half (see above) and not strong enough in the tackle. He did improve in the second but then was far far too deep. Hammond and him do not work well together, they don't know what each other is doing. The manager needs to sort this out.
Lallana 5 started brightly but I don't wanbt to see him collecting the ball and crossing from deep on his left foot, I want to see him driving to the byeline or into the box which he didn't do enough in the first half. The one occasion he did he nearly scored. Gave the ball away too much in the second half with misplaced passes.
Chamberlain 4 I blame Adkins for not switching him back to out wide having tried him up front and it not working. Gave the ball away far too often though after what was a fantastic start. He is a winger, lets give him and Lallana the ball all the time and get them running at these fullbacks. Neither sees enough of the ball IMO.
Lambert 5 Not a great deal of service, but not sharp enough today to be first to what did come his way. Still not a threat, actually when has he last been a threat? Doesn't combine well with Guly at all, but was left with no partner when Chamberlain moved into the middle as they were miles apart from each other. Unfortunately he got injured just before the only half chance came his way - which he volleyed tamely wide - that hampered him. Badly needs a goal to kick start his season.
Guly 5 Chased lost causes hard in first half but offered no threat at all. Out wide he offers nothing at all.

Connelly 8 minutes at the end, why not bring him on earlier? Adkins had a shocker and to think Pardew was slated (wrongly IMO) for not having a plan B.

kpturner
11-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Connolly?? If i was David Connolly i would hand in a transfer request in the morning. you sit on the bench watching that absolute garbage only to be given 8 minutes...? outrageous. although he may struggle with his fitness, connolly is a class above most of this lot and a very intelligent player.

Perhaps Connolly may only have 10 minutes in his legs ATM? He is a class act, but he has not played enough football - although I agree he may warrant more than 10 minutes, but I don't agree with your assessment of NA.

Fitzhugh Fella
11-12-2010, 06:55 PM
What worries me is a lot of posters on here think the January transfer window is the answer to a lot of our problems - it is not that simple.

I can honestly say I never saw such an abject disorganised perfomance like that under Pardew.

We seem to be going backwards.

PaulGilchrist_76
11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Total lack of effort today and that is unforgiveable,squad is wafer thin reinforcements are badly needed.
Some players inc RL are now playing for their saints careers in the next few games and i dont believe thats being too dramatic.

Totally agree - the lack of effort was very noticeable. So many players just stood there doing nothing. I am unimpressed by Atkins so far. We have managed to win some games but in general the performances have been quite awful.

I think we have an average manager and an average bunch of players.

This season represents a wasted opportunity for Saints.

Will Mr Cortese be tempted to change things????

One things for sure, he won't be pleased with our league position.

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 07:09 PM

eh four? surely

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I have never rated Davis as he is purely a linebound shotstopper. The biggest criticism I have is that he shows poor judgement and is flaky. He doesn't come off his line to dominate the box and undermines his defence by indecision. I will be glad when he is gone and we have a proper goalkeeper. At fault today and showed all his shortcomings without the shotstopping.

The central midfield was appalling. The last thing we need is two pedestrian negative players. Schneiderlin is a luxury we can't afford in the face of mobile athleticism. His sole thought is to unload the ball and move sideways. We need athleticism, pace, forward driving movement and aggression from our midfield not comfort zone meaningless, slow, square and backward buildups allowing defences to consolidate.

We were dominated today by an aggressive, athletic, hard working side but with a decent goalkeeper might still have got something out of the game. IMO we need a keeper, centre back, two central midfielders, two strikers, and two wide players. We are a very slow side, lacking pace, so from now on it should be a requirement that any player we sign to get us out of the Championship (stated aim of club's transfer strategy.) must be athletic and quick.

Ah Derry old chap where's this amazing football you said Nigel was going to give us. You'd be tearing the old manager a new one after today.

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Derry is basically spot on,although 4/5 players maybe nearer our requirements with Fonte,Chaplow and Barnard to come back.
Also I do not think it is fair to castigate NA until he gets some of his own players in.[The substitutions today were far too late,but did he have any better offensive options on the bench][Maybe the fitness of Connolly is not up to much more than a cameo role?]

Sorry he has the most expensive squad in league one at his disposal, he shouldn't need loads of new players. At the very least he needs to make the ones he's got look like they give a f uck like they did last season becuase today they looked like they all wanted to be else where.

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
We've lost the unpredictability and pace both Papa and Antonio gave us last year and it's a big loss. Their pace alone would often mean defences wouldn't keep a high line, which had the added bonus of giving us space in front of the back four. Now, there's f**k all chance of Rickie beating anyone for pace so they can squeeze the play making it difficult for us to create anything.

Big changes required in January. Keep Chaplow for starters to give energy to the midfield then spend on 2 strikers and at least one winger. Any shrapnel left and a centre half wouldn't go amiss either.

scotty
11-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I was working on board a cruise ship today so didnt even catch the commentary, were we really as bad as this thread makes it sound?

LostBoys
11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Dreadful - we will regret this loss of three points as a lot of results went our way

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I was working on board a cruise ship today so didnt even catch the commentary, were we really as bad as this thread makes it sound?

Worse, did you see the the Tranmere game at SMS, becuase we made that tranmere team look PL class today. No passion or fight from the players at all.

Thedelldays
11-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Feck me.. We were poor and lost

I thought I was bad at the knee jerk reactions

Chez
11-12-2010, 07:48 PM

we still created four good chances (they had two shots all game) and if Davis had not ****ed up for the first it might have been very different. With Richardson, Barnard, Fonte and Chaplow back next week we'll get back on track.

DT
11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
bring back Pardew
(joke)
(ish)

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Feck me.. We were poor and lost

I thought I was bad at the knee jerk reactions

No you've mellowed, I on the other hand I'm getting right ****ed of with this season:sulk:

After NCs interview and the feel good factor it created it was nice to see the players helping to reinforce the message with an abject display like that. It hardly screamed PL by 2014 today. Of course it's only one match (but some our displays of recent weeks have shown this was coming) but I get ****ed off when the players look like that couldn't care less (like they did today)

Roger
11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Its easy to blame the talisman of the game all the time in lambert. But lets take this game on its own. Lambert was the best player on the field for us today imo. I saw him win a lot of balls in the air especially in the first half and I thought his touch was very good today. It wasnt his fault today but pretty much everyone elses. Butterfield I thought was okay.
Marks are:
Davis 4-However doesnt make many mistakes and not a problem for us.
Butters 6
Jaidi 5-Played fine other than his fault for second goal partly.
CBourne 1-Awful buy rubbish player.
Dickson 4-Not good enough for me.
Oxlade chamberlain 4-Too early for him, hes an impact sub. Punchon should be playing imo.
Hammond 3-Doesnt do anything.
Morgan 4-Adkins isnt playing him in right postition. Hes a holding midfielder.
Lallana 4-I think he isnt as good as people make out. His final ball is poor at times.
Guly 3-Rubbish display.
Lambert 6-Played final other than not scoring again which is concern. Lay off him not his fault today.
Jury is out on adkins. Starting to think getting rid of pardew was a mistake and when we did should have got better than adkins. I just dont understand why we sent punchon on loan. Stupid. We knew holmes was injury prone. Can we call him back? I know he was off form but so was everyone else?

kpturner
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I just dont understand why we sent punchon on loan. Stupid. He fell out with Crosby ;-)

alpine_saint
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
That ladies and gentlemen is a prime example of why this team are going to face yet another season in this league. It has a punchless attack, uncompetitive midfield, porous defence and lacks bottle thoughout.
The manager and chairman can say what they like but the stark truth is that this lot is way,way short of promotion. End of.

Yep.

Roger
11-12-2010, 07:59 PM
He fell out with Crosby ;-)

Well then crosby should have handled it better then. We can afford to lose him at this time because oxlade chamberlain isnt ready to start every game yet. Punchon would hold the ball better against teams like this. Can we call him back? Stop moaning at lambert when he was better than lallana today

Chez
11-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Its easy to blame the talisman of the game all the time in lambert. But lets take this game on its own. Lambert was the best player on the field for us today imo. I saw him win a lot of balls in the air especially in the first half and I thought his touch was very good today. It wasnt his fault today but pretty much everyone elses. Butterfield I thought was okay.
Marks are:
Davis 4-However doesnt make many mistakes and not a problem for us.
Butters 6
Jaidi 5-Played fine other than his fault for second goal partly.
CBourne 1-Awful buy rubbish player.
Dickson 4-Not good enough for me.
Oxlade chamberlain 4-Too early for him, hes an impact sub. Punchon should be playing imo.
Hammond 3-Doesnt do anything.
Morgan 4-Adkins isnt playing him in right postition. Hes a holding midfielder.
Lallana 4-I think he isnt as good as people make out. His final ball is poor at times.
Guly 3-Rubbish display.
Lambert 6-Played final other than not scoring again which is concern. Lay off him not his fault today.
Jury is out on adkins. Starting to think getting rid of pardew was a mistake and when we did should have got better than adkins. I just dont understand why we sent punchon on loan. Stupid. We knew holmes was injury prone. Can we call him back? I know he was off form but so was everyone else?

I certainly agree that Lambert has become an easy target but to suggest he was our best player today is rediculous. He did nothing. I can't recall a single decent thing he did all game. Mind you, you have given Butterfield a 6 and I thought was our worst player (I sit in the Kingsland so he was right in front of me second half so that might make a difference) and Dickson just 4 and I thought he had a very solid game. Hammond getting less than Schneiderlin? Very strange marks. Its a game of opinions I suppose.

jawillwill
11-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Even though we were very poor, we did at least create a few good chances. On another day we may well have scored 4 or 5 goals. Northam were in good voice 2nd half I guess.

scotty
11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Well then crosby should have handled it better then. We can afford to lose him at this time because oxlade chamberlain isnt ready to start every game yet. Punchon would hold the ball better against teams like this. Can we call him back? Stop moaning at lambert when he was better than lallana today

I got the impression those bridges had been well and truly burned.

Chez
11-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Even though we were very poor, we did at least create a few good chances. On another day we may well have scored 4 or 5 goals. Northam were in good voice 2nd half I guess.

tremendus support second half considering the poor quality of football we were watching, shame it had no effect at all. The players have no excuses about not getting the backing from the home fans.

Jonnyboy
11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep.

you wanted rid of pardew no?

Jonnyboy
11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Thats the last time I start a Pre match Build up thread :blush:

Thatchamsaint
11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Terrible performance complete lack of enegy and enthusiasm from the whole side.
On another note I spoke to Lee Barnard before the game he said he had a hernia operation on Wednesday,so i doubt he will be back for a couple of weeks at least unfortunately.

SuperMikey
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Simple explanation of today's result: Brentford are in form, we are not.

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Simple explanation of today's result: Brentford are in form, we are not.

I think Nick G has produced numerous threads/stats that prove we are in form.........

simo
11-12-2010, 08:49 PM
The whole team had a BAD day from where I was sat guly man of the match silverlining ? We cant play much worse!

Fitzhugh Fella
11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I think Nick G has produced numerous threads/stats that prove we are in form.........

which just goes to prove stats can be very deceiving.

apart from one game this season at home (Tranmere) we have not gelled. Something is not right - even both Cup games we flattered to deceive.
I am no tactician but the two central "crabs" posing as our midfield must be the source of a lot of our problems.

I'll say it again; under Pardew he had us playing a lot more "organised" football after just a few couple of months.
Yes Adkins must be given a chance to bring in his own players but as a previous poster quite rightly pointed out he did inherit a more than decent squad who finished last season as the best in the League.

kpturner
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
apart from one game this season at home (Tranmere) we have not gelled. Southampton 4 - 1 Peterborough

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Southampton 4 - 0 Peterborough

I remember watching the football league show after that match spent several minutes pointing how bad the posh were basically implied anyone could have scored past that shambles of a defence on that day. Missed that game though so I couldn't say.

BGF
11-12-2010, 09:03 PM
What annoys me is that you have to go back to the Hoddle/Strachan days to have a team that gelled both Strachan and Hoddle had teams that went back to basics and battled to get a result, no manager since has appeared to match them.

Thedelldays
11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I remember watching the football league show after that match spent several minutes pointing how bad the posh were basically implied anyone could have scored past that shambles of a defence on that day. Missed that game though so I couldn't say.

Could say that against any team we play against

Thedelldays
11-12-2010, 09:17 PM
which just goes to prove stats can be very deceiving.

apart from one game this season at home (Tranmere) we have not gelled. Something is not right - even both Cup games we flattered to deceive.
I am no tactician but the two central "crabs" posing as our midfield must be the source of a lot of our problems.

I'll say it again; under Pardew he had us playing a lot more "organised" football after just a few couple of months.
Yes Adkins must be given a chance to bring in his own players but as a previous poster quite rightly pointed out he did inherit a more than decent squad who finished last season as the best in the League.

Last season we would have finished 5th if given the points back.. The cracking home game against Oldham when it really counted tells me we were not better than Norwich or Leeds

Saint in Paradise
11-12-2010, 09:25 PM
After reading these pages it seems very much like the match against Rochdale, which I did see live at SMS
in case anyone asks.
After that game I was not very confident about KD in goal and reading here it seems he is still no better.
Bart must be brought in and if he fails then a new goalkeeper is needed in January. Team confidence starts
with the goalkeeper.

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 09:29 PM
After reading these pages it seems very much like the match against Rochdale, which I did see live at SMS
in case anyone asks.
After that game I was not very confident about KD in goal and reading here it seems he is still no better.
Bart must be brought in and if he fails then a new goalkeeper is needed in January. Team confidence starts
with the goalkeeper.

yes we did play badly against Rochdale, but Kelvin has had plenty of good matches in between, today he was bad though but so was the whole team.

adriansfc
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Reminded me alot of the Doncaster and Forest games from 08/09.

It was terrible, some serious momey needs to be spent.

We've spent serious money. None of the teams at the top have. Why must serious money be spent?

Dalek2003
11-12-2010, 09:53 PM
What annoys me is that you have to go back to the Hoddle/Strachan days to have a team that gelled both Strachan and Hoddle had teams that went back to basics and battled to get a result, no manager since has appeared to match them.

Both managers had pedigree and were class acts. Both managers had the respect of the players who listened to what they said. the appointment of Sturrock (the result of a very selfish minority of fans), started the rot.

Kingsbridge Saint
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Brentford wanted it more and that is just TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT. Adkins is qulaified in sports psychology ffs. Why were we not ready for this game? We need to want it more EVERY game, until we are ten points clear at the top. Cortese needs to lay it on the line with Adkins.

Appy
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
We've spent serious money. None of the teams at the top have. Why must serious money be spent?

How else are we going to improve our squad?

Huddersfield and Brighton are 2 teams who have spent big money.

So you are saying that because we have spent money already that more shouldn't be spent to strengthen what today looks like a paper thin squad? Get real.

SaintNeil90
11-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Personally I wish we still had Pardew. At least he could motivate players and made sure they fought for every game. Last season under him I was confident we would get a win or draw everygame. Now Im not even confident we can score!

Appy
11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Personally I wish we still had Pardew. At least he could motivate players and made sure they fought for every game. Last season under him I was confident we would get a win or draw everygame. Now Im not even confident we can score!

Move on, he has gone, get over it.

Dalek2003
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Move on, he has gone, get over it.

Yer, move on, don't learn, bury your head in the sand etc. That way we never learn and we keep making the same mistakes over and over. FFS !

alexdawkins
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
jaidi and guly were the only players who came close to performing today - though guly was poor in front of goal. adkins was dire, as ever. seaborne needs his contract terminating. lallana also very poor - held on to the ball too long almost every time he had it.

Appy
11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Yer, move on, don't learn, bury your head in the sand etc. That way we never learn and we keep making the same mistakes over and over. FFS !

The same mistakes? From the guy who creams himself over Hoddle? Grow up.

paris
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Some may do great things; others may do things that look less significant on the surface. Ultimately what you do is secondary. But how you do it is primary.

Wes Tender
11-12-2010, 10:33 PM
What worries me is a lot of posters on here think the January transfer window is the answer to a lot of our problems - it is not that simple.

I can honestly say I never saw such an abject disorganised perfomance like that under Pardew.

You must have missed a few of those games then....

View From The Top
11-12-2010, 10:35 PM
The 1st half was as poor a performance that I've ever seen from saints.

2nd half wasn't much better.

The atmosphere was as flat as can be as well.

Chez
11-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Ultimately what you do is secondary. But how you do it is primary.

many fans don't give a **** how we get promoted so long as we do.

Dr Who?
11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?26866-Brentford-Build-up

This post 30!! This will the Barca v R Madrid score I am worried!

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 10:44 PM
taken from Nigels piece in the match programme

The phrase 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard' is etched in the players mind

I'm the only one who finds that slightly ironic given the performance the players turned in today?

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?26866-Brentford-Build-up

This post 30!! This will the Barca v R Madrid score I am worried!

Funnily enough I was sat at SMS wtching the match and I thought of your post on the match thread.

Dr Who?
11-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Funnily enough I was sat at SMS wtching the match and I thought of your post on the match thread.

Now you are right that is funny/strange. If you take a look at my posts this season you will see I have been 100% positive when it comes to scorelines and thinking Saints will win. This last week I just feel that things are going to go wrong! I hope this feeling does not last and I am sure a win will change all this..... hopefully Walsall away!

LGTL
11-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Swindon away, August 2009, was equally as pathetic.

Appy
11-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Swindon away, August 2009, was equally as pathetic.

Swindon at home, Tranmere away, Wycombe away.

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Swindon at home, Tranmere away, Wycombe away.

Swindon at home was bad but not as bad as today, Tranmere was the one we lost to peno that all the highlights proved was never a peno and Wycombe away was a draw so hardly as bad as losing at 2-0 at SMS today. There where bad results under Pardew but I never felt like the players weren't trying one dimensional and lacking in immagination prehaps but always trying. To day the players looked like they really didn't care and that p isses me off.

jam
11-12-2010, 11:20 PM
taken from Nigels piece in the match programme

The phrase 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard' is etched in the players mind

I'm the only one who finds that slightly ironic given the performance the players turned in today?

Probably yes as there's no way you could say the players didn't work hard today. They were just predictable and disjointed.

doddisalegend
11-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Probably yes as there's no way you could say the players didn't work hard today. They were just predictable and disjointed.

really? the number of players who just gave up on chasing balls down, the almost complete lack of tackling the strolling around the pitch like it was trainning game the lack of movement at throw ins all looked like a bunch of players not working hard enough to me. Compare the way the Brentford players closed down and hustled us that was working hard.

supersonic
12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Having just watched the highlights on the football league show, I can safely say that was hideous! No guts, no passion, No imagination. We deserved nothing and got it.

Davis 3- That first goal was pathetic, I didn't realise the guy was 25 yards out when he hit it! A mistake was always on the cards
Dickson 6- Our best player and still was only average!
Jaidi 5- Tries hard, but past it. lost too many headers to smaller players and still can't kick a football
Seabourne 2- That was possibly one of the worst performances I've seen in a Saints shirt. How he started ahead of Martin I'll never know
Butterfield 5- Tried hard, but sadly is too slow and predictable.
Chamberlain 5- Quiet game, did well, and was unlucky a few occasions, but game seemed to pass him by
Lallana 5- Tries to do to much with the ball sometimes. His skill and first touch however, are out of this league
Lambert 3- Is this seriously the same bloke that scored 31 league goals last season???
Guly 4- Non-existant in the second half, seemed to be playing right-wing.

Connolly - Didn't have time to make an impact

please note, The reason why I have missed out Schneiderlin and Hammond is because we hand no midfield today!

Kingsbridge Saint
12-12-2010, 03:08 AM
Some may do great things; others may do things that look less significant on the surface. Ultimately what you do is secondary. But how you do it is primary.

******. Results come first.

Red and White Army
12-12-2010, 03:53 AM

No surprise to see you not assign any criticism to Adkins derry. You were a vocal critic of Pardew who has gone and beaten Liverpool in his first game in charge of a Premiership club.

You lauded Adkins, but he has not shown why he deserves your praise yet.

If the players are not motivated in the first half (why should that even be so) I expect him to fix it at half time in the dressing room. I can accept losing matches, but I hate seeing us lose matches without even bothering to turn up. The manager can't change the players at will but he should be able to change their attitudes.

Very worrying. I really miss Pardew, I think we would be doing better with him at the helm, before he was sacked I expected us to be promoted. Now, I just hope we can be, the expectation has gone.

torsaint
12-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Just noticed where S****horpe are. Did Adkins get out just in time?

letissisgod
12-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Took my 2 year old son yesterday for his first proper game, birthday treat, what a cruel Father I am.

sidthesquid
12-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Took my 2 year old son yesterday for his first proper game, birthday treat, what a cruel Father I am.

Best to let him know early that he has a lifetime of misery ahead of him......

JustMike
12-12-2010, 07:44 AM
this shows again what we all know and hopefully NA and NC are aware of too. The depth of the squad is not good enough. Without Fonte, Barnard, Chaplow and Richardson we look pants!

Dr Who?
12-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Did not know that Brentford have lost 1 of there last 8 in the league!! They are the form team and their away form is brilliant. Have won their last 3 away games on the trot.

I do not think the scores went to badly for us yesterday really, the first time I have really looked at them. Brighton losing (ok to Huddersfield), Bournemouth and Carlisle losing. Colchester drawing at home to Yeovil, and MK Dons losing to Notts County. It could have been much worse. Charlton will win today though which will leave us 7 points off second!!

But at the end of the day we need to put a good run together and after yesterday I cannot see this happening. Walsall away then off to Charlton!

David Strover
12-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Never mind two away games on the trot next.....and we're very, very good away from home. I expect some posters to have ended it all by the time both games are finished, others to be in police cells after trying to assassinate Nigel Adkins and still others to be supporting Manchester United or Chelsea.

Meanwhile the rest of us take stock and sit it out....at some time our fortunes will change for the better.

Nicola this is why Saints fans are generally pessimistic by the way!

Fitzhugh Fella
12-12-2010, 08:05 AM
You must have missed a few of those games then....

No go to all home games and quite a few away inc Walsall next week.....unfortunately.
Sorry that was'nt us just playing badly yesterday that was a team who had no organisation or nous - in short we looked like a team who haven't got a manager. The last time we looked so inept was at Bristol Rovers under Dodd and Gorman.

alpine_saint
12-12-2010, 08:06 AM
My main reaction is that we (including NC) had better get used to the idea of another season in League 1.

Everything has gone totally pear-shaped since November last year, IMO. It became clear last season that we couldnt sustain the form to overcome the 10pt deduction, and just like with Burley's play-off season, it has become clear we had a window of oportunity and have missed it - again.

Rebel
12-12-2010, 08:09 AM
In Fonte Barnard Chaplow and Richardson we were missing 4 key players. Yesterday proved that we have no strength in depth - we had nothing on the bench - and if we don't put out our first 11 we are very average for this League.

Where were Mills, Puncheon and Wotton to come off the bench. It looks like we've let players go before we've replaced them.

Morgan and Oxlade both looked like they had January moves on their minds

Dr Who?
12-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Never mind two away games on the trot next.....and we're very, very good away from home. I expect some posters to have ended it all by the time both games are finished, others to be in police cells after trying to assassinate Nigel Adkins and still others to be supporting Manchester United or Chelsea.

Meanwhile the rest of us take stock and sit it out....at some time our fortunes will change for the better.

Nicola this is why Saints fans are generally pessimistic by the way!

Not at all I have a lot of faith in NC and the work he is doing. A brave move with the manager, and until yesterday it seemed to be paying off quite well. I do think there are things going on behind closed doors at SMS, but this is just a hunch!

thorpie the sinner
12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I have to say without certain players we look a tad ordinary! Ricky isnt firing and with Barney out we are woefully short up front! Chappers adds a touch a strength and purpose in the middle, hammond just doesnt do it for me and Morgan just isnt suited to this league! without Jose, we lack direction as showed yesterday! 3 players in jan def!!

aintforever
12-12-2010, 09:38 AM
We badly missed Barnard's energy and movement up front, plus Schneiderlin was his usual pointless self there is so much more to being a midfelder than just having a nice touch and doing the odd good pass.

You also have to ask why have we offloaded Bignall and Puncheon - is money really that tight?

saintjay77
12-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't get to many games but yesterday was possibly the worst I had seen saints play!

I couldn't believe they had 14 days to prepare for that shower of crap. They looked like they were a team that had been plucked from the crowd 5 mins before kick off.

OC looked like the most threat and Lallana woke up in the 2nd half. But no-one looked lime they knew what they were doing. Were they even told a game plan?

NC changed things in the second half and with a bit more effort we took a little more control but the only time they looked comfortable was when they played in-effective hoof ball. They were obviously told to quit that for the second half but looked like they had no idea of how to do things differently.

Won't be winning any leagues playing like that so manager through to toilet cleaner and everyone in between needs a good kick up the ass IMO!

Shrivvy Saint
12-12-2010, 09:54 AM
An utterly woeful performance, worst since Adkins has been in charge and took me back to those awfall displays in between managers earlier this season. Hands tied behind his back can be his only slight let off because of all the changes. Missed Barny terribly as he is our only potent force up front.
Wholesale changes needed in January.. and I think there will be some. Problem is we have a lot of games before then.

Singeon Sears
12-12-2010, 09:57 AM
The theory touted on here by some was that when injuries and suspensions kick in across league one our lot will be best placed to deal with it - with 4 key players missing we showed just how strong our squad really is - it isn't

iansums
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Remember this is a squad inherited by Adkins. I hope he has a number of potential signings in January, maybe he will make a raid on Scunny. Personally I think it may be time to say a thank you and goodbye to Morgan, Guly and Jaidi. We need another CB, CM and a quality CF (Austin maybe?), also a pacy wide palyer. It's time to drop Ricky I'm afraid.

The best thing about yesterday's game was the 10 minute chant in the second half, a shame the players didn't respond.

Sour Mash
12-12-2010, 10:42 AM
No go to all home games and quite a few away inc Walsall next week.....unfortunately.
Sorry that was'nt us just playing badly yesterday that was a team who had no organisation or nous - in short we looked like a team who haven't got a manager. The last time we looked so inept was at Bristol Rovers under Dodd and Gorman.

That's what worried me. I certainly don't think its right to get on Adkins back, he's done well so far and it would achieve absolutely nothing. However, it wasn't just a bad defeat, it wasn't just a bad performance, it looked like a group of players who weren't going anywhere this season, teams that ges promoted have a bit of momentum about them, they grind out results when playing badly, they look hungry. We didn't have any of those things, no spark there at all. I still think we'll probably go up, but with the resources we hae at our disposal, it really shouldn't be this hard!

Katalinic
12-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Remember this is a squad inherited by Adkins. I hope he has a number of potential signings in January, maybe he will make a raid on Scunny. Personally I think it may be time to say a thank you and goodbye to Morgan, Guly and Jaidi. We need another CB, CM and a quality CF (Austin maybe?), also a pacy wide palyer. It's time to drop Ricky I'm afraid.

The best thing about yesterday's game was the 10 minute chant in the second half, a shame the players didn't respond.

I enjoyed seeing the Brentford player who managed to tackle himself whilst shooting - sadly, that was the highlight of the match for me.

EastleighSoulBoy
12-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I've left it this long to try and compose something sensible rather than a knee jerk reaction.

Yesterday wasn't a bad day at the office, we didn't even turn up, to be honest. Brentford came to harry us and get stuck in. That they did and they deserved the points. I'm even thinking that they would have been surprised at how easy it seemed compared to all the info they had on us which may have indicated otherwise.

We clearly lack a strength in depth and with two strikers out of sorts our fire power, as all season, was woeful. I'm not confident in Jaidi, he is good in the air but once the ball is at his feet and he has a man on I begin to get jittery. His experience sees him through most games but how long can we depend on just that? Martin is my pick, even without his experience, and I'd like to see him next to JF with Dan Seaborne as back up. Chaplow was sorely missed, I love the guy's attitude but wish he'd not get booked so much. I still can't figure Hammond out though, lot's of energy and running about but what does he actually achieve?

We came away rather disappointed.

Hopefully a few decent signings to strengthen in January?

Just a few points for discussion, I'm sure others may differ.

jam
12-12-2010, 11:22 AM
That's what worried me. I certainly don't think its right to get on Adkins back, he's done well so far and it would achieve absolutely nothing. However, it wasn't just a bad defeat, it wasn't just a bad performance, it looked like a group of players who weren't going anywhere this season, teams that ges promoted have a bit of momentum about them, they grind out results when playing badly, they look hungry. We didn't have any of those things, no spark there at all. I still think we'll probably go up, but with the resources we hae at our disposal, it really shouldn't be this hard!

I felt we were playing well up until they scored the second. By then the ref had waved away what looked (albeit from the Itchen South) like a solid penalty and had a run of rather one-sided decisions, which led up to their second goal, which was almost as soft as the first.

I don't think our players recovered from that, which is a worry because we are going to get a lot more abysmal referees this season and there's always a chance that we'll let in a soft / unlucky goal. If they wan't to get promoted they need the mental strength to dig in when they aren't getting the rub of the green.

Wes Tender
12-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Well, as a season ticket holder, I have also been to all of the home games under Pardew and your memory of some really dire performances under him seems to be a bit more selective than mine, or else we just share a different opinion like many others who watch the same game and see it differently.

SaintRobbie
12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Gutted.

No chance this team will promote in my opinion. Adkins needs to do some surgery this winter and fast. The team needs to be his not Pardews, which wouldve promoted under APs leadership but sadly he 'made mistakes' as he mentioned yesterday on interview and got the sack, probably rightly by NC.

I wish we had Pards still, I wish we therefore had his team being reinforced this Christmas. We havent, which is Pardews fault to be fair.

Until Adkins puts his team together we're staying in League 1. I simply cannot see us promoting this year, only losing our best players due to frustration and then a further rebuild. I think Adkins can do it, but sadly he'll need time. We have no choice, keep supporting and keep our fingers crossed until Adkins can make an impression, but I do hope its sooner rather than later.

NC will also need to be kept in his box if Adkins fails this season. Consistant management and funding is the key, always was and always will be. We have the funding still (we think), now patience is needed to allow consistency.

hypochondriac
12-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Gutted.

No chance this team will promote in my opinion. Adkins needs to do some surgery this winter and fast. The team needs to be his not Pardews, which wouldve promoted under APs leadership but sadly he 'made mistakes' as he mentioned yesterday on interview and got the sack, probably rightly by NC.

I wish we had Pards still, I wish we therefore had his team being reinforced this Christmas. We havent, which is Pardews fault to be fair.

Until Adkins puts his team together we're staying in League 1. I simply cannot see us promoting this year, only losing our best players due to frustration and then a further rebuild. I think Adkins can do it, but sadly he'll need time. We have no choice, keep supporting and keep our fingers crossed until Adkins can make an impression, but I do hope its sooner rather than later.

NC will also need to be kept in his box if Adkins fails this season. Consistant management and funding is the key, always was and always will be. We have the funding still (we think), now patience is needed to allow consistency.

I think they will relegate if not careful.

dune
12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Resigned to another season in L1.

Window Cleaner
12-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Resigned to another season in L1.

Already ?????????

Resigned to a play-off lottery perhaps.

Tom28
12-12-2010, 12:51 PM
That result yesterday has been coming. We're just not playing good football - we haven't for a long time. We'd really found our stride at the end of last season, and now that free-flowing football is nowhere to be seen.

docker-p
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't have happened if we had been wearing proper red and white stripes. :rolleyes:

Window Cleaner
12-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Wouldn't have happened if we had been wearing proper red and white stripes. :rolleyes:

beginning to think that myself, we have lost our identity.

Window Cleaner
12-12-2010, 01:11 PM
That result yesterday has been coming. We're just not playing good football - we haven't for a long time. We'd really found our stride at the end of last season, and now that free-flowing football is nowhere to be seen.

And yet if you take the benchmark performances from last season, Huddersfield at home or Norwich away the team isn't all that much different. Just Puncheon missing with Semi and Antonio in most cases. We have lost our way and yet it's basically the same players.
Although I did think that Semi added a lot going forward (and very little at the back). The one crucial difference is that defences feared Lambert (and Antonio) .Now he's just a cardboard cutout of the old RL and defences know that, it gives them space,it allows the midfield to get forward and stifle ours, our ful backs aren't getting forward as much allowing theirs to do so.Now I know it's not really on topic but when AP sent on Nile Ranger yesterday everything changed, he just kept on hammering into the Liverpool back line, they were scared crapless,thus it gave Carroll time and space to do his thing.If you don't percute the opposition's defence then you will not win, it's as easy as that.

Mowgli
12-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Having just watched the highlights on the football league show, I can safely say that was hideous! No guts, no passion, No imagination. We deserved nothing and got it.

You were able to assess all of those players based on 48 seconds of highlights??? That's truly impressive. In reality I agree yesterday was as poor as it gets and typical of Saints in the build up to Christmas period. But it is only one result against the team with the best away record in the league. If the team are good enough they will bounce back next week. If we are good enough as fans, we won't over react to the scrore....

hughieslastminutegoal
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Bit harsh! The team he put on the pitch should have been good enough to perform better than that, and I doubt they had specific instructions to lump it. Looking at the bench it was difficult pick a player that could make any difference to that shower of sh1te.
Absolutely. Sometimes the payers are to blame. It is noticable that without Chappers there is no drive in midfield.

hamster
12-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Silver Lining.

Found an elderly chapwalking around who'd lost his car so gave him a ride. Didn't realise when he first jumped in but (here's the sl) by the time he told us he was from Brentford we were almost at the Itchen Bridge and he was completely lost. That's when it dawned on me that the car park he was describing was down the other end of Brittania Road.

he did tell us that they were playing really well away recently and in his opinion the key was that they were taking the game to the opposition; we are not used to that are we. Lessons learnt hopefully.

PS
What was with the singing yesterday? I was dumbfounded. Bee's fans were very good imo with a good range not limited to the usual Pompey and Redknapp humourless stuff, they really stuck it to young Dickson didn't they.

Le Goddard
12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Reading this thread, it feels like we've been relegated.

NA will make some decent signings in Jan (remember he's effectively managing AP's team , which wasn't good enough this season or last season)

We arent going to win every game at home. We've all had a bad day in the office, no?

georgeg
12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
So you didn't watch Saints 0 - Swindon 3 ?

Toss up between which performance was worse, but at least we only conceded 2 today. Most comical moment was our throw-in near the end that went straight to their unmarked striker. LMFAO.

Saints throw ins in a nutshell (and generally have been this way for YEARS ... YES YEARS) .. Saints player has the ball on the touchline .. nobody bothered to make space to receive .. eventually somebody saunters over to the by line by which time he is surrounded and outnumbered by the opposition and we lose possession .. no **** Saints .. has anybody heard of work rate, speed of thought? .. its the same in open play .. we take so long to attack that by the time we have stopped passing it backwards and bloody sideways and decided to go forward the opposition are all ready for us .. we don't turn defenders enough - all the play is in front of them and too predictable

also the "midfield" line and the the back line are far too close leaving a huge gap between midfield and the forward line = no support for the front men (whoever they are)

Whitey Grandad
12-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Oops - glad I missed it.

kwsaint
12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
couldn't we just get prutton back. he always cheers me up.

Charlie Wayman
12-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Fed up! ****ed off! Narked! Angry! So, no different to usual. Don't you just love our Saints, so entirely predictable they never let you down - you knew this one one they'd blow it and blew it they did and with some lack of style.

Oh well, it's sorted out the Huddersfield dilemma for me, stay and entertain the family or be entertained by the Saints - no brainer, any more turkey on that wish-bone?

georgeg
12-12-2010, 03:03 PM

I think we can agree to disagree on this statement jam .. I think our work rate in this and in parts of many other games is dreadful and its a way that so called "lesser teams" can compete (and beat) us .. the phrase mentioned is a good one and very relevant to our team at the moment .. we could be great against Walsall but lack of consistency could prove a massive problem for us come the end of the season .. I really hope not...

John B
12-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Well Charlton have just lost 1 0 to Walsall at home

So that is not bad we are only a couple of wins away from being in a good position.

I will be a little unhappy if we now dont beat Walsall

doddisalegend
12-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I enjoyed seeing the Brentford player who managed to tackle himself whilst shooting - sadly, that was the highlight of the match for me.

LOL that was quite funny, maybe he figured that the saints fan deserved to see one tackle upon a Brentford player in the match and as our players didn't want to, he do it for them.

doddisalegend
12-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Absolutely. Sometimes the payers are to blame. It is noticable that without Chappers there is no midfield.

just edited that for you.

Big Dick Last
12-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Yet again our team of so called league one superstars has failed to deliver.
Any team that is serious of gaining promotion from this dreadful league does not lose seven games before Christmas. Let alone at home to teams like Rochdale and Brentford.
We were dreadful from the first minute yersterday and that includes the manager. Why oh why did he not make any changes until there were only ten minutes left to play when it was obvious to everyone things were not working ?
If he did not think the players on the bench were up to the task why pick them in the first place ?
I hope the result yesterday is a wake up call to the team and management or promotion could be a distant dream.

Liquidshokk
12-12-2010, 03:22 PM
My thoughts on yesterday.. I was a bit nervous about that game before it started for some reason and was really hoping that the break hadnt caused the team to lose the rhythm and hadnt forgotten how to play. I remember when the whistle first blew I thought that Brentford we're straight away a lot more up for it and their players were really active. As the game went on I was frustrated because in previous games Adkins had the players piling on the pressure and not giving the opposition any space to do anything with the ball. However yesterday their players were given far too much time on the ball to think about their next move. Not sure which particular players were responsible for this but I think generally they just didn't put enough pressure on Brentford.

By the end of the game we were really sloppy, the throw ins went straight to Brentford, Davis was making the wrong decisions when kicking the ball out... Lallana at one point just shouted "f*cking hell!" and Dickson looked annoyed. The frustration of it all showed towards the end and I think that didn't help us get back in the game..

On way out of the stadium I overheard someone say to their partner "sorry I made you watch that", which says it all really...

If there's one thing that makes me feel better about it is that I think Adkins is the sort of person who will learn from yesterday and do everything he can to correct it...

doddisalegend
12-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Yet again our team of so called league one superstars has failed to deliver.
Any team that is serious of gaining promotion from this dreadful league does not lose seven games before Christmas. Let alone at home to teams like Rochdale and Brentford.
We were dreadful from the first minute yersterday and that includes the manager. Why oh why did he not make any changes until there were only ten minutes left to play when it was obvious to everyone things were not working ?
If he did not think the players on the bench were up to the task why pick them in the first place ?I hope the result yesterday is a wake up call to the team and management or promotion could be a distant dream.

Thats a good point, people are saying Nigel had no options on the bench but really could any of the subs (sorry impact players) done any worse? I doubt it. Maybe the likes of Doble and Martin might have least put some youthfully effort and desire in to the performance sadly lacking in both.

Liquidshokk
12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Thats a good point, people are saying Nigel had no options on the bench but really could any of the subs (sorry impact players) done any worse? I doubt it. Maybe the likes of Doble and Martin might have least put some youthfully effort and desire in to the performance sadly lacking in both.

I think Gobern would have had something to prove and after his last good performance he may have helped.

Felt sorry for Martin getting ready to come on when seaborne took a smack only for seaborne to go back on. Bet Martins itching to get back on and I for one can't believe it's been so long...

doddisalegend
12-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Gobern would have had something to prove and after his last good performance he may have helped.

Felt sorry for Martin getting ready to come on when seaborne took a smack only for seaborne to go back on. Bet Martins itching to get back on and I for one can't believe it's been so long...

He played well at the start of the season gave Kevin Davis a run for his money, yet now he can't get in ahead of Jaidi or Seaborne who were comical yesterday.

Stu Man Do
12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
And yet if you take the benchmark performances from last season, Huddersfield at home or Norwich away the team isn't all that much different. Just Puncheon missing with Semi and Antonio in most cases. We have lost our way and yet it's basically the same players.
Although I did think that Semi added a lot going forward (and very little at the back). The one crucial difference is that defences feared Lambert (and Antonio) .Now he's just a cardboard cutout of the old RL and defences know that, it gives them space,it allows the midfield to get forward and stifle ours, our ful backs aren't getting forward as much allowing theirs to do so.Now I know it's not really on topic but when AP sent on Nile Ranger yesterday everything changed, he just kept on hammering into the Liverpool back line, they were scared crapless,thus it gave Carroll time and space to do his thing.If you don't percute the opposition's defence then you will not win, it's as easy as that.

I was saying to the guys go with yesterday that our style of play totally negates RL. Last season we had two speedsters who got the ball forward super quick leaving him with acres of space to do his thing. How many clear cut shooting chances did he have yesterday or in fact in recent games? Not many I've noticed hes getting the odd half chance but without last years confidence is looking to pass these off to help the team get into a better position. This tippy tappy pass sideways bollaxs were playing at the minute just slows down the whole game and lets defenders and midfielders get goal side of our attacks without any trouble.

Legod Third Coming
12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Reading this thread, it feels like we've been relegated.

NA will make some decent signings in Jan (remember he's effectively managing AP's team , which wasn't good enough this season or last season)

We arent going to win every game at home. We've all had a bad day in the office, no?

It was good enough though wasn't it? Once assembled it had top two form from October and actually, was in a better position by now starting with -10 points!

Our team is still easily the best and most expensive in this league. They just are not delivering the consistency required.

Are you seriously suggesting that Brentford beat us because we don't have a good enough team?

up and away
12-12-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by derry http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?p=910891#post910891)
I have never rated Davis as he is purely a linebound shotstopper. The biggest criticism I have is that he shows poor judgement and is flaky. He doesn't come off his line to dominate the box and undermines his defence by indecision. I will be glad when he is gone and we have a proper goalkeeper. At fault today and showed all his shortcomings without the shotstopping. The central midfield was appalling. The last thing we need is two pedestrian negative players. Schneiderlin is a luxury we can't afford in the face of mobile athleticism. His sole thought is to unload the ball and move sideways. We need athleticism, pace, forward driving movement and aggression from our midfield not comfort zone meaningless, slow, square and backward buildups allowing defences to consolidate. We were dominated today by an aggressive, athletic, hard working side but with a decent goalkeeper might still have got something out of the game. IMO we need a keeper, centre back, two central midfielders, two strikers, and two wide players. We are a very slow side, lacking pace, so from now on it should be a requirement that any player we sign to get us out of the Championship (stated aim of club's transfer strategy.) must be athletic and quick.

No surprise to see you not assign any criticism to Adkins derry. You were a vocal critic of Pardew who has gone and beaten Liverpool in his first game in charge of a Premiership club. You lauded Adkins, but he has not shown why he deserves your praise yet. If the players are not motivated in the first half (why should that even be so) I expect him to fix it at half time in the dressing room. I can accept losing matches, but I hate seeing us lose matches without even bothering to turn up. The manager can't change the players at will but he should be able to change their attitudes. Very worrying. I really miss Pardew, I think we would be doing better with him at the helm, before he was sacked I expected us to be promoted. Now, I just hope we can be, the expectation has gone.

The reason we are in this mess is because of Pardew, do you really believe the team would be playing any better under Pardew with the damage he did in pre-season? ludicrous! Yes it was a disappointment, but change the two keepers around and we would have won that! The one change I would have considered is replacing Morgan with Gobern, but I doubt we would see anything else of Morgan this season. Adkins has a difficult job making it to the time we can get in new players, without doing too much damage.

The reason we lost that game was because Kelvin screwed up for both goals, the obvious and not coming off his line for the second. Their keeper made a couple of excellent saves and we looked poor because the midfield never gave us any control. This midfield that has had this weakness from the beginning that Pardew did nothing about, only since Adkins brought in Chaplow has there been any improvement. The centre backs are sticking their chewing gum on the back of Ricky before going up for headers, safe in the knowledge it will still be there when they come back without having to wander off looking for him. We don't have that 30 goal striker in our team anymore, just a frucked up replica that we have to nuture back to fitness and form.

Legod Third Coming
12-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I was saying to the guys go with yesterday that our style of play totally negates RL. Last season we had two speedsters who got the ball forward super quick leaving him with acres of space to do his thing. How many clear cut shooting chances did he have yesterday or in fact in recent games? Not many I've noticed hes getting the odd half chance but without last years confidence is looking to pass these off to help the team get into a better position. This tippy tappy pass sideways bollaxs were playing at the minute just slows down the whole game and lets defenders and midfielders get goal side of our attacks without any trouble.

I agree. People bemoaned 'the long ball route one style of Pardew'. Which would be the game that suited Lambert and resulted in him scoring so many goals, oh and us winning as a result. I'm delighted by our new Brazilian style... clearly it relates to the team's haircuts...

Lambert isn't suited to the way we're playing now so what should we do? Sell the best striker in the league for the past two seasons? Or maybe work with the players we have (£1m worth of striker let us not forget)...

I don't give a feck how we get out of this league. We could bulldoze our way out for all I care. This idea that we can be 'choosy' and play our way out. What a load of fecking bollacks. Let's just win eh?

BHA
12-12-2010, 04:24 PM
BHA BHA BHA BHA BHA BHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

BHA
12-12-2010, 04:28 PM
best in the league my arse your like the rest of us teams in this league just ****in average. you are nothing special

John B
12-12-2010, 04:33 PM
It was good enough though wasn't it? Once assembled it had top two form from October and actually, was in a better position by now starting with -10 points!

Our team is still easily the best and most expensive in this league. They just are not delivering the consistency required.

Are you seriously suggesting that Brentford beat us because we don't have a good enough team?

Are you for real

Obviously we were not good enough yesterday otherwise we would have won

With regard to be the best team in the League that is debateable as we hardly ever get players in League 1 team of the week

benjii
12-12-2010, 04:47 PM

Hi mate, welcome to the forum :)

Top first post, by the way. We all loolled ourselves. Please take a look at the forum rules to make sure you get the most out of your time on here and enjoy the forum! Great to welcome fans from other clubs, gives a valuable impartial perspective on all things Saintly.

All the best and Merry Christmas from everyone at the Saints Web! :)

Deppo
12-12-2010, 04:47 PM

Hello. You sound nice. Welcome to SaintsWeb - the Number 1 Gay Saints Supporters board. We are always interested to hear from away fans and perhaps even arrange to meet up for some fun at some point? Perhaps you could post a photo of yourself for us all to enjoy?

Legod Third Coming
12-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Are you for real

Obviously we were not good enough yesterday otherwise we would have won

With regard to be the best team in the League that is debateable as we hardly ever get players in League 1 team of the week

EVERY other team in this league would find a place for:

Davis
Harding/Dickson
Fonte
Jaidi
Richardson
Butterfield
Lallana
Barnard
Oxo
Chaplow
Hammond
Morgan
Lambert

Two of those players cost MORE alone than Brentford's team! One (Lallana) is worth twice their side...

If they aren't playing and winning as a team, may I direct you towards the formation, tactics, motivation, selection... etc.

John, there is no doubt ours is the most expensively assembled squad in this league BY MILES - absolute miles. If this team cannot win the league, we will NEVER win it.

benjii
12-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Fonte
Lallana
Oxo
Barnard
Chaplow
Lambert

Bit more realistic IMO.

Chez
12-12-2010, 04:58 PM
He played well at the start of the season gave Kevin Davis a run for his money, yet now he can't get in ahead of Jaidi or Seaborne who were comical yesterday.

As much as I don't rate Seaborne, I'm not totally convinced by Martin either yet. He shows great potential, but he's not the finished article by a long chalk. Fonte is the key though, he is so much nastier than the others and we missed that yesterday.

One of the big problems for whoever gets the shirt is that we keep changing the back four (mostly through injuries) with lots of centre back partnerships and both fullbacks changing on a regular basis. Even the holding midfielder changes between Hammond and Schniederlin game on game. I think this has been very detrimental to the consistency of the defence.

Turkish
12-12-2010, 05:00 PM

The best team is not always the best XI and most expensively assembled side. We are 9th in League one because we have been the 9th best team in League One this season. I think this position is a fair reflection of our performances so far this season. We have struggled for goals, we have only scored 26 this season. only Colchester of the other top 9 having scored less but 12 of ours came in 3 games. We lack pace and creativity and we rarely get a result when we go behind first, i believe the only times this has happened this season has been Oldham at home and Notts County away. We have lost 7 games already, last season we only 9 in total in what was without doubt a stronger league. Like it or not, we have gone backwards since last season and we do not look like a side that is going to get or deserves promotion.

Turkish
12-12-2010, 05:01 PM

Davis
Harding/Dickson
Fonte
Jaidi
Richardson
Butterfield
Lallana
Barnard
Oxo
Chaplow
Hammond
Morgan
Lambert

Two of those players cost MORE alone than Brentford's team! One (Lallana) is worth twice their side...

If they aren't playing and winning as a team, may I direct you towards the formation, tactics, motivation, selection... etc.

John, there is no doubt ours is the most expensively assembled squad in this league BY MILES - absolute miles. If this team cannot win the league, we will NEVER win it.

Yet this Brentford side that you think would cream themselves at getting any of our players is on the same points as us and beat us easily yesterday.

Chez
12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
best in the league my arse your like the rest of us teams in this league just ****in average. you are nothing special you lot had better be ****ing special come third round day. Don't let us down, no missed pens please.

Saints foreva
12-12-2010, 05:06 PM
best in the league my arse your like the rest of us teams in this league just ****in average. you are nothing special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcCEXtbiWow

John B
12-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Davis
Harding/Dickson
Fonte
Jaidi
Richardson
Butterfield
Lallana
Barnard
Oxo
Chaplow
Hammond
Morgan
Lambert

Just because they individually cost a lot of money does not mean that they are better than other players in the League.

Although

I do find it strange that some of our rejects Mills Thomas Gillett and Puncheon are playing the Championship.

pressingon
12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
For all those wanting to publicly flog KD for his first mistake of the season you might watch MOTD tonight.Two international goalkeepers-Paul Robinson made a complete rick of a shot but got away with it, Gomez lets a shot from Drogba go right through him. It happens to most keepers occasionally. The people bemoaning him on here were probably the same praising him for keeping us in the game against Brighton.

Saints Warrior
12-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I cant belive how bad we can play this season. Yes when we are good , its good but not unbeatable, but when its bad bloody hell its bad. The thing that worries me is there are no decent playesr apart from the starting (or best 11). And 3-4 of the starting 11 are not that good (or not as good as they are on paper) so that really means Saints have 7-8 players each game max. Sat game was worse than England...side to side, then back, no one supporting player with ball and no positional play. Football is an easy game to play and the England manager is making it a puzzel for the players to work out where they should stand, run and when!, Burley and Pardew did the same, and I think all 3 called out manager 2.30pm and gave some stupid advice. My advice is 4-4-2 skins vs vests basic rules and get 4 players in the window. Also is Lambert 25 stone and has he been served with an asbo saying he cant shoot first time anywhere on the pitch.

BHA
12-12-2010, 05:18 PM
you lot had better be ****ing special come third round day. Don't let us down, no missed pens please.

will do our best for you am confident we will turn them over

doddisalegend
12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
The reason we are in this mess is because of Pardew, do you really believe the team would be playing any better under Pardew with the damage he did in pre-season? ludicrous! Yes it was a disappointment, but change the two keepers around and we would have won that! The one change I would have considered is replacing Morgan with Gobern, but I doubt we would see anything else of Morgan this season. Adkins has a difficult job making it to the time we can get in new players, without doing too much damage.

The reason we lost that game was because Kelvin screwed up for both goals, the obvious and not coming off his line for the second. Their keeper made a couple of excellent saves and we looked poor because the midfield never gave us any control. This midfield that has had this weakness from the beginning that Pardew did nothing about, only since Adkins brought in Chaplow has there been any improvement. The centre backs are sticking their chewing gum on the back of Ricky before going up for headers, safe in the knowledge it will still be there when they come back without having to wander off looking for him. We don't have that 30 goal striker in our team anymore, just a frucked up replica that we have to nuture back to fitness and form.

Hardly we lost that game becuase the whole team were timid, unbothered and pedestrain, not a back bone among them yesterday. The first goal was a howler from KD agreed but the second was the fault of three defenders who between them couldn't keep out one striker. We never even looked remotely like winning yesterday for a whole load of reasons trying to blame KD for the whole thing is a Joke.

Bailey
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Haven't had time to look through all the posts, but here's my take on the game for what it's worth.

A very bad day at the office sums it up perfectly for me. We were sloppy, lifeless and out of sorts. Brentford were up for it and wanted it more than us, simple as that. At a loss to explain such a performance. We'd had a nice break enforced by the weather, and so there were no excuses for such a tired display.

The back four were appauling. Butterfield and Seaborne can be excused as they have been out for a while, but Jaidi and Dickson were terrible. We lost the midfield battle too. Hammond seems to be a lot more effective when he's got Chaplow badgering the opposition. Schneiderlin had a poor game in my opinion. Didn't put himself about enough and struggled to make any sort of positive impact.

On a slightly more positive note, I thought Lambert and Guly did OK, with the former's hold-up play a lot better than in previous matches. The main problem with yesterday was that there was no service, so both players found it hard to make their mark.

As for Kelvin, well what can you say? Totally at fault for the first and nervy throughout. Didn't command his area at all and distribution was poor.

Have to admit, was slightly disappointed with Adkins and his tactics. I appreciate that he changed our style, putting Chambo up top, but he failed to make the most of his substitutes. Maybe he felt that in Doble, Dean, Gobern and Connolly, we didn't have any strength in depth that could change the game? Expect to see some movement in January if that's the case.

All in all, a bad day for Saints, but the silver lining is that our rivals all dropped points too, bar Huddersfield. A win against Walsall and we'll be back on track, but we can't afford to many more slip-ups like this, especially at home.

Lets not get too suicidal over this result, but the manor of the performance definitely is a cause for concern. 3 points next Saturday, and all will be forgiven/forgotten.

Turkish
12-12-2010, 05:36 PM
For all those wanting to publicly flog KD for his first mistake of the season you might watch MOTD tonight.Two international goalkeepers-Paul Robinson made a complete rick of a shot but got away with it, Gomez lets a shot from Drogba go right through him. It happens to most keepers occasionally. The people bemoaning him on here were probably the same praising him for keeping us in the game against Brighton.

Exactly, it was an error, which happens. For me more worrying was the second goal, the defending was shocking, real schoolboy stuff.

Windmill Arm 2
12-12-2010, 06:07 PM
sad to say, but adkins is not the answer. he is a physio. he may be a good coach, but he is totally and utterly inept as a manager. and i thought he was meant to replacing the 'long ball' approach of pardew...? all we did every time we got the ball today was lump it high and long to an out of form lambert. there is no way that we would have fewer points if pardew was still here, though i know he was limited too.You son, are a focking idiot!

Windmill Arm 2
12-12-2010, 06:08 PM
So you are not worried by that performance?

Something has been missing all season, not sure what but we seem to have an arrogance based on reputations rather than current performances.
Big concern for me today was the bench, no one on it, imo, who could come on and change game.NEWSFLASH, WE WILL LOSE GAMES THIS SEASON.

Seriously, there are some right co cks on this forum. cowardly towel throwing fannys. Give me strength.

GAS
12-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Keep the Faith.
What the f**k has happened to this team this year??? We will not go up with this inconsistency. Don't want to hear people say keep the faith or plenty more games left because we have been saying that for the last two months and we are still miles away from the top!

Turkish
12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
NEWSFLASH, WE WILL LOSE GAMES THIS SEASON.

Seriously, there are some right co cks on this forum. cowardly towel throwing fannys. Give me strength.

Which by concidence is how you could describe the performance of most of our team yesterday.

Clifford Nelson
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
It was one of those days when the whole team seemed to play at about 80% of capacity and having lost any creativity. As for any specific critique I am absolutely clear that Schneiderlin and Hammond are not to play together. Both are very much the same, although I prefer Hammond. When we're under pressure Morgan plays two or three times as many 60 yard passes to the wingers, which becomes very predictable, an yesterday, typically, it all came to nothing. I'd rather see Chaplow making it difficult in midfield for the opposition, which is a completely different role from Morgan.

I maintain my doubt over Jaidi, who constantly looks lumbering. Without Fonte we don't look commanding at the back. Apart from that I think we need to decide what our best pairing of centrebacks is. History tells us that one solid pairing is the anchor for a successful team.

If we look at the bench yesterday there is a major story about how lacking in depth our squad is. A couple of injuries (Chaplow and Barnard) and with Puncheon gone to Millwall, there is nothing left there which could change the game. This is no reflection on Gobern, who is a totally inexperienced youngster, or Martin, but a CB doesn't change the attacking side of the game. This is, indeed, the leftovers from the Pardew regime, less Puncheon and with Chaplow added. January can't come quick enough to lift the team that is there with two or three quality signings.

Brentford was a decent side, but we lost to two poor mistakes, and most weeks we have been better than yesterday. I hope Adkins is clear about why we return to this loss of inspiration. This is much how we played under Wilkins, with the team unable to pull themself together. We can still gain a top two spot, but things needs to be done to underpin that ambition.

Deppo
12-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Haven't had time to look through any of these posts, but I thought we were really unlucky yesterday. We played some nice passing football and were pretty solid at the back, apart from the two goals. Rickie deserves a goal for all his endeavour. COYR!

Window Cleaner
12-12-2010, 06:15 PM
It was one of those days when the whole team seemed to play at about 80% of capacity and having lost any creativity. As for any specific critique I am absolutely clear that Schneiderlin and Hammond are not to play together. Both are very much the same, although I prefer Hammond. When we're under pressure Morgan plays two or three times as many 60 yard passes to the wingers, which becomes very predictable, an yesterday, typically, it all came to nothing. I'd rather see Chaplow making it difficult in midfield for the opposition, which is a completely different role from Morgan.

I maintain my doubt over Jaidi, who constantly looks lumbering. Without Fonte we don't look commanding at the back. Apart from that I think we need to decide what our best pairing of centrebacks is. History tells us that one solid pairing is the anchor for a successful team.

If we look at the bench yesterday there is a major story about how lacking in depth our squad is. A couple of injuries (Chaplow and Barnard) and with Puncheon gone to Millwall, there is nothing left there which could change the game. This is no reflection on Gobern, who is a totally inexperienced youngster, or Martin, but a CB doesn't change the attacking side of the game. This is, indeed, the leftovers from the Pardew regime, less Puncheon and with Chaplow added. January can't come quick enough to lift the team that is there with two or three quality signings.

Brentford was a decent side, but we lost to two poor mistakes, and most weeks we have been better than yesterday. I hope Adkins is clear about why we return to this loss of inspiration. This is much how we played under Wilkins, with the team unable to pull themself together. We can still gain a top two spot, but things needs to be done to underpin that ambition.

Strange thing is though Gobern played for us quite a few times in the Championship, Callum McNish even got at least 1 run out. Now 2 years later they're still too inexperienced to play any part in a lower league.However Nile Ranger who we kicked out of the academy cos he was a bit of a bad lad
gets a run on for Newcastle virtually every game, same age, same background, only our treatment of them is different.

saintjay77
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM

Taking the goals out of the argument I still think he was crap yesterday. He lacked any idea of what to do for most of the game. I wouldnt want him publicly flogged for it but I wouldnt be putting my arm round him telling him all nice stuff either. He is better than yesterdays performance and that effort was well below his usual standard. he just wasnt at the races at all.

He was unlucky with the goals cause the 1st caught him on the wrong foot and I thought he did well to get a hand too it considering and it was unlucky to fall like it did. The second shouldnt have been if the defending was better and if the ball gets to that part of the pitch in front of any keeper it would end up in the back of the net more often than not.

But his kicking, timing, decissons and positioning got him in trouble all game long.

Ive not slated him on here in my previous post because I dont put that team non-performance down to him. The manager chose the team and gave them instructions. If he told them hoof ball was the answer then he is partly to blame. If he didnt tell them to play hoof ball then he is also partly to blame for not getting the team prepared or getting his plan across to them well enough. The whole team get the blame for not putting nearly enough effort into it.

The game is over now and I saw the players faces as they walked off the pitch. Every single one of them were not happy and I would bet that every single one of them would think that performance wasnt good enough. I hope they did anyway and I hope they put a better shift in next match.

I am a bit disapointed that the players on the bench were deemed good enough to be there but it didnt look like NA thought they were good enough to get a chance to change the game. We needed something in the middle and Gobern was sat there. I dont think he is ready for a proper run ahead of some of the others we have but think he would have offered more than hammond and spiderman.

Whats the point of having subs if they are not good enough to be there?

hypochondriac
12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Strange thing is though Gobern played for us quite a few times in the Championship, Callum McNish even got at least 1 run out. Now 2 years later they're still too inexperienced to play any part in a lower league.However Nile Ranger who we kicked out of the academy cos he was a bit of a bad lad
gets a run on for Newcastle virtually every game, same age, same background, only our treatment of them is different.

You can hardly accuse the club of not giving youth a chance!

Appy
12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
BHA is my new hero.

At least Brighton won yesterday i guess.

Oh .....

eurosaint
13-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Haven't had time to look through any of these posts, but I thought we were really unlucky yesterday. We played some nice passing football and were pretty solid at the back, apart from the two goals. Rickie deserves a goal for all his endeavour. COYR!

Not like you to take the p*ss Deppo :)

sidthesquid
13-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Having had a couple of days to let the misery pass and a chance to think about it, my conclusion is that it is the mentality of the players that is the core of the problem. They seem to believe that they are too good for this league . Even Lallana is guilty of it sometimes, trying to many fancy tricks when a quick pass is needed, and watching on saturday our build-up is so slow, forty neat passes around the half-way line, but no energy or movement at the end of it. Pardew was guilty of it and Adkins' team seem to play the same way. The only player I excuse from the accusation of not working hard enough is Hammond. If only three other people had put his effort in we might have got something.
The other major worry is that when they are shown that they aren't as good as they think, they don't have the backbone for the fight. Brentford were yet another middling team that came with a plan, got the early goal, and let us run in circles going no-where. In some ways Saturday was the most disappointing display for many years because we seemed to have leant nothing from so many similar displays.
Football is not all about ability but our team seem to think that is all they need. I've said it before, but what we lack is bottle from 1 to 11, and some tough and possibly unpopular decisions will need to be taken. Beautiful football when you are two up againgst Tranmere or Dagenham is not going to get us promoted, I'm afraid.