Cheap gear?

Weston Super Saint

I was recommended a website for buying [wholesale prices??] camera gear, without a retailer's mark up.

The website I was given [verbally] was http://www.wessex.com but all my searches for that site have come to nothing :(

Anyone know if this is just a spelling mistake, or any recommendations for places to buy 'cheaper' branded gear??

We have an account with Direktek and their/our prices for Canon equipment are more expensive than I can buy online or through eBay.

As we've seen in the 5D MkII thread, overseas is where you should be getting your camera equipment from.

Was waiting for a section to tack my question on to...

I'm looking at getting my first DSLR, and am currently looking between Nikon D40, Canon 400D or Sony A200.

So two questions..... Is there any key differences to bear in mind between these three?

Secondly, I am off to New York in a couple of months and was wondering if it would be worth getting something from over there? Was going to go second hand, but worried about not getting any guarantee if I bought there? (Also if anyone knows of any second hand shops in central New York??)

Cheers!

We have an account with Direktek and their/our prices for Canon equipment are more expensive than I can buy online or through eBay.

As we've seen in the 5D MkII thread, overseas is where you should be getting your camera equipment from.

Yeah.

The problem starts though trying to find an American retailer - bloody google constantly recognising I'm in the UK.

Then finding one that will send to Europe :rolleyes:

Was waiting for a section to tack my question on to...

I'm looking at getting my first DSLR, and am currently looking between Nikon D40, Canon 400D or Sony A200.

So two questions..... Is there any key differences to bear in mind between these three?

Secondly, I am off to New York in a couple of months and was wondering if it would be worth getting something from over there? Was going to go second hand, but worried about not getting any guarantee if I bought there? (Also if anyone knows of any second hand shops in central New York??)

Cheers!

Ah the old which system is best dillemma....

Canon = lots of lenses to choose from, plenty of chances to spend lots of money.

Nikon = recognised brand name and quality gear.

Sony = relative newcomers, but being taken seriously.

Personally I would say go with the Canon - but then I use them myself so I'm probably biased....

However there isn't that much difference between the systems at all, so I would suggest choosing one that meets your budget more than anything...

The Canon and Nikon brands are by far and away the most popular and established in terms of DSLR so you will find the lenses and accessories the easiest to get hold of, both in terms of buying and borrowing off mates. Being relative newcomers to the market, Sony are competitively priced to capture a market share and are able to incorporate newer technology in their range without having to worry too much about backward compatibility for an existing customer base. An example is the A200's anti-shake system built into the body which is an expensive add-on to Canon and Nikon lens.

There is some compatibility issue with the D40 and some Nikon lenses due to it lacking certain auto-focus motors but being a Canon user I don't know the ins and outs.

It may help if you give us a bit more information about what you want to use the camera for, your budget, if you plan to upgrade in the future, etc.

Cheers!

New prices in are much cheaper in the States so second hand will be by the same degree. You're going to get a much better price buying privately but I doubt you're going to have the time to do that whilst you're out there.

I wouldn't hold up much hope of getting any warranty if you're looking buying second hand and then taking it out of the country.

I would just sit at home and look at buying from eBay.com (as opposed to eBay.co.uk) and find sellers that are prepared to ship to the UK unless you have an address in the US they can send stuff to. My brother used to live and work in Baltimore so I had two lenses sent there and got him to bring them back in his hand luggage.

Edited by Al de Man

Ah the old which system is best dillemma....

There is some compatibility issue with the D40 and some Nikon lenses due to it lacking certain auto-focus motors but being a Canon user I don't know the ins and outs.

It may help if you give us a bit more information about what you want to use the camera for, your budget, if you plan to upgrade in the future, etc.

Thanks for both your replies. Was slightly leaning towards the Sony as it does appear to be a tad cheaper, also reading that because it has the in-built anti-shake motor, you can use old Minolta lenses, so there are a number of cheap lenses out there?

Hmmmm dilemas indeed, think it will be a trip to a camera shop to have more of a play around.

Not really sure what I will be using it for yet, more of a landscapre sort of person than action, so guess something which is more suitable for that would be useful!

Thanks Again!

Thanks for both your replies. Was slightly leaning towards the Sony as it does appear to be a tad cheaper, also reading that because it has the in-built anti-shake motor, you can use old Minolta lenses, so there are a number of cheap lenses out there?

Hmmmm dilemas indeed, think it will be a trip to a camera shop to have more of a play around.

Not really sure what I will be using it for yet, more of a landscapre sort of person than action, so guess something which is more suitable for that would be useful!

Thanks Again!

Then invest in a decent tripod - probably need to budget another £200 :(