Shawshank

St Landrew

Without a shadow of a doubt one the most over-rated and neaseatingly mawkish films ever made.

its watchable but doesn't deserve all the praise it gets, pretty good but definitely not great.

it just doesn't know when to end, and when it does its suddenly merged into the bounty advert that was supposed to be on after. the final shot is just laughable.

its the cinematic equivalent of someone at a party whose a good laugh but then gets all emotional and blathers on and on until you want him to die.

its watchable but doesn't deserve all the praise it gets, pretty good but definitely not great.

it just doesn't know when to end, and when it does its suddenly merged into the bounty advert that was supposed to be on after. the final shot is just laughable.

its the cinematic equivalent of someone at a party whose a good laugh but then gets all emotional and blathers on and on until you want him to die.

I agree. It is a very good film but certainly not the best film ever made as some would have. I feel that the same thing applies to "Pulp Fiction". Someone on TSF recently posted that this was the best ever film. Good film but not even close to being the greatest.

I agree. It is a very good film but certainly not the best film ever made as some would have. I feel that the same thing applies to "Pulp Fiction". Someone on TSF recently posted that this was the best ever film. Good film but not even close to being the greatest.

Totally agree. Pulp fiction is well and truely over rated.

Man on Fire is probably my favourite film every made. It has all the action, with a gripping and emotional story line. The actors in the film are superb too.

Man on Fire is probably my favourite film every made. It has all the action, with a gripping and emotional story line. The actors in the film are superb too.

the acting is good, BUT personaly speaking, i think man on fire is far too long, horribly sentimental and politically very very suspect, it seems to argue the worth of a white American child's life equals that of a black American male which equals an infinite number of greasy evil Mexicans. It also backs up the view that Americans can go to any other country and do what they please if they think there on a mission from god. Scott's direction is really annoying too, all the crash zooms and flaring and such. Did i mention it was far too long?

My fav film is 2001, feel free to kick the crap out of it.

...My fav film is 2001, feel free to kick the crap out of it.

Wouldn't do that. Not my favourite film, although I can't deny it is superb. For me I have to really enjoy a film throughout for it to be an absolute favourite. 2001 is more of a great experience than an enjoyment. Consequently, there are less good films that I enjoy more. I wouldn't dream of saying they are better though.

Note the Avatar..!

Totally agree. Pulp fiction is well and truely over rated.

Well in my opinion Man on Fire is dreadful. A really really bad film. But its your favourite. That just goes to prove that 'The Best Film' is a completely notional concept. I think that Shawshank has flaws, but is probably better than 99% of all the films ever made. FWIW my favourite film is 'The Wicker Man' (original version, obviously). I dont know if it is really the best film of all time, but in my mind it is I guess.

Anyway, if you like the film of Shawshank, you should read the Stephen King novella. It is better than the film, but I dont say that to degrade the film in any way. It just is.

w00t w00t!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...