Train Fare Tips & Advice

So with the fixtures now released, I thought this thread would be a good idea where we can help each other with tips and advice on where the cheapest rail fares can be found.

So first up will be Barnsley on Saturday 13 August. By searching for a simple return from Southampton Central on nationalrail.co.uk the best I have managed to do is £48.00 as an advance fare with 4 travelling. Going to see if this can be made cheaper by buying single tickets, will post them on here if I do. And likewise if anybody else finds anything cheaper, posting it here would be greatly appreciated!

My advice would be especially for northern away games is book from london.

We have just booked our Barnsley trains, paid less than £20 quid london to Barnsley.

We chose the Doncaster route rather than Sheffield. Doncaster is cheaper albeit thats where West Ham are headed that day.

To save yourself a quid don't book through thetrainline website. Just choose any other rail provider and they don't charge an admin fee. I usually use Virgin Trains even if I'm not actually using their service.

Which website did you use to book? The best I get from London St Pancreas to Barnsley is £32 return.

We used East Coast. London St Pancras to Doncaster. It's something like 3 quid from Doncaster to Barnsley on the day.

£13 with a railcard, £20 without.

We used East Coast. London St Pancras to Doncaster. It's something like 3 quid from Doncaster to Barnsley on the day.

£13 with a railcard, £20 without.

You lads should have an absolute bargain, something like £20 London to Barnsley. Good job you know me really.

Only way of getting to London in time for the 7.03 train to Doncaster is a 4am national express coach from Southampton it would seem! Fook that, bingo bus for Barnsley with our big bottles of "7up" and use the saved cash for Ipswich. Train tickets just booked for that, £38 return with 2 travelling, bigger discounts if larger groups I expect. Advance fares so get em now before they start creeping up!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at train fares for the Cardiff game in September. With 3 or more travelling, it was £14 return each with the game on the Tuesday. I've now searched for the Wednesday and it's a completely different price, only offering the advance fare on the outward journey but not the return (on the Thursday).

Tried it for the Wednesday/Thursday the week before and it gives advance fares for both legs of the journey. Hopefully just a website error, weird.

So with the fixtures now released, I thought this thread would be a good idea where we can help each other with tips and advice on where the cheapest rail fares can be found.

So first up will be Barnsley on Saturday 13 August. By searching for a simple return from Southampton Central on nationalrail.co.uk the best I have managed to do is £48.00 as an advance fare with 4 travelling. Going to see if this can be made cheaper by buying single tickets, will post them on here if I do. And likewise if anybody else finds anything cheaper, posting it here would be greatly appreciated!

IPSWICH AWAY - You can do a group save 4 for £30 each, there are choice of 3 trains back via Stratford-Waterloo, ground only 5-8 mins walk from the railway station so prob get the 9.43pm back, if not the 10.23.:)

hi sorry to be a pain but how did you get that price please

We used East Coast rail website. Search for St Pancras to Doncaster. On the day it's about £3 from Doncaster to Barnsley. Don't know if the cheap advanced fares are still available now though, seeing as it's about 4 weeks off.

St Pancras to Barnsley.

13.20 each way.

On the train line.

You managed to get first class too didn't you? Have no idea how you managed that especially seeing as you booked later than us.

Using the trainline is a quid more expensive though for their booking fee.

You managed to get first class too didn't you? Have no idea how you managed that especially seeing as you booked later than us.

It was with a 16-25 railcard though.

I booked today and got £30 return from London to Barnsley... 1st Class.

Seems the tour company you're using is slacking, having you travel with the peasants in economy.

I booked today and got £30 return from London to Barnsley... 1st Class.

Seems the tour company you're using is slacking, having you travel with the peasants in economy.

Not really - its costing him half of what you're paying to go London - Barnsley and there's no first class Sheffield to Barnsley!

whats the cheapest way from Southampton to London on a Saturday morning?

You might find some megatrain deals if you're quick. South West Trains don't do advance tickets, so if there are no megatrain options, your best bet will be a Group Saver, assuming you can get 4 people to travel together. Alternatively, Southern DO do advance tickets, and their website is offering 25% off at the moment on top of the cheaper advance fares, so you might be able to get a decent advance fare going round via Chichester, Gatwick and Croydon into London Victoria.