Star Trek Enterprise

St Landrew

No, not the ol' ship, but the last series Paramount tried on us. I must admit, I didn't think it was that brilliant when it was first broadcast on CH4, and they didn't seem that keen either. My lack of enthusiasm may or may not have something to do with with the fact that the BBC had been the de facto spritual home of Star Trek in the UK up until then, and I just couldn't get my head around the adverts. In fact, that may have a lot to do with it, thinking about it, as I loathe ad-break-laden commercial TV generally.

But I recorded those episodes in any case, and recently, I've been piecing them together, to edit out the bloody adverts, and watch them properly again. And I'm surprised. In fact, I can't believe the Americans gave it the heave ho. It's bloody good. It's way better than TNG and DS9, and it's as good as Voyager and TOS, but in its own way. Actually, I'm a bit sad they won't be making any more.

Am I alone in thinking this..?

How can you say TNG is worse than Voyager?

That's easy Robsk. TNG set itself up to be the premier ST series back then. It was going to send out a moral statement with every episode. What actually happened was that it lost every last sense of real ST humour, and the acting was downright stiff and wooden, made worse by Patrick Stewart's slightly stagey peformances. And when they tried to bring back the humour, it lost its credibility. Don't get me wrong though, a strong episode of TNG is good ST entertainment, usually involving Data a lot. Have to say that I liked it a lot when it first appeared. It's only watching the odd repeat over the years that it appears so stiff.

Voyager didn't take itself quite so seriously, even though the premise was that the ship was in an extreme scenario. The writing and acting are better IMO, and the ST humour came back ever so slightly, with the Doctor. This is where Enterprise scores highly for me. It's much more like TOS, but in an up-to-date presentation. Plus, being set as a prequel to all of ST too, it allows the Enterprise crew to make gaffs, and they don't know all the answers yet. So they get themselves into some quirky situations. And of course, Jolene Blalock is quite a draw too, as was Jeri Ryan in Voyager.

I liked Enterprise too but all the time travelling stories did confuse become confusing at times.

However I thought DS9 did have its stand out moments and was the most action led of the Star Trek series'.

I loved the time travel. Always have, ever since reading H.G.Wells The Time Machine. I found that the change from isolated, but linked stories, to one storyline flowing through an entire [the 3rd] series was probably the limit for occasional dip in, dip out viewers. They couldn't understand why situations were as the were, because they had never seen key previous episodes, and hence the audience drop off, and the heave-ho decision. I'm sure if one sees the 3rd series episodes one after another in correct order, they'ed be bloody good. But who, but the most dedicated of viewers are going to do that..?

Well, now I've got them all sorted, probably me..! ;)

DS9 never quite did it for me, although it was fun. Perhaps because there was no Enterprise ship around. It was a bit too Babylon 5 for my liking, and that was simply awful IMO.

Edited by St Landrew