Ipswich Away

Who's doing this one then? Tues & Weds booked off long ago, going up on the train. 11.30 from Soton Central get to Ipswich about half 3 I think.

There is a pub right by the station, funnily enough called the Station Inn. Guess most Saints fans that get the train will be heading there. As we are arriving quite early though might take walk into the town centre, anybody been to Ipswich before have any other boozers to recommend?

Booked the day off ages ago, got my ticket the other day, yet have no way of getting there at the moment. Who wants to pick me up from Andover?

I may well do it!!! - Just have to pay a few extra quid petrol.. Im presuming you know who this is?

Who's doing this one then? Tues & Weds booked off long ago, going up on the train. 11.30 from Soton Central get to Ipswich about half 3 I think.

There is a pub right by the station, funnily enough called the Station Inn. Guess most Saints fans that get the train will be heading there. As we are arriving quite early though might take walk into the town centre, anybody been to Ipswich before have any other boozers to recommend?

It's roughly a 10 min walk into the town centre where you will find the usual chain pubs etc. Directly outside the ground however, apart from the Station Inn there is slim pickings with it being mostly Frankie and Benny's, Nando's etc.

Catching the 12.30pm from Soton, gonna head for spoons on Liverpool Street Station for a few, then head onto Ipwich 4ish, the Station Hotel looks like the best bet once there, going to be a dash for the train after think its 21.43 out of Ipswich.

Catching the 12.30pm from Soton, gonna head for spoons on Liverpool Street Station for a few, then head onto Ipwich 4ish, the Station Hotel looks like the best bet once there, going to be a dash for the train after think its 21.43 out of Ipswich.

According to google maps it's a 6 minute walk from the ground to the station. Might have to leave a few minutes early to get back in time.

According to google maps it's a 6 minute walk from the ground to the station. Might have to leave a few minutes early to get back in time.

To be honest I was realy surprised that you could get back by train, we will be back far quicker that those travelling by road, only 3 hour trip by train and you can do a group save, SORTED.

To be honest I was realy surprised that you could get back by train, we will be back far quicker that those travelling by road, only 3 hour trip by train and you can do a group save, SORTED.

Really?! I do Southampton from Great Yarmouth in about 3hrs 20 mins (sometimes less..can recommend the Snooper3Zero) at that time of night...I'd be surprised if Ipswich was 2.5hrs...different on the way there agreed.

The last few times I've been we've just drank in the Station Inn, nothing special. The stewards are on par with Bramall Lane for being complete t***ers and they used to stop serving beer in the ground once the game had kicked off so not even a chance for a half time pint. Certainly not my favourite away day going.

Sadly we won't witness the disbelief of a 3-0 victory with Euell and Paterson on the scoresheet again ha ha.

Anyone know if you can pay on the day for this?

The person I'm going with is a student who lives in London. Called the Saints ticket office to ask whether they'd except a photocopy of his student card to buy a discounted ticket, because he isn't coming down between now and Tuesday. He was told that they wouldn't accept a photocopy but he could buy a ticket on the day. So in short, yes, so long as the Ticket office werent making stuff up again.

Anyone know whether it's better to drive round the top or the bottom of the M25 to the A12 junction?

I lived near Colchester for 5 years in the early 90s and it's pretty much equidistant from the M3 junction to the A12 junction regardless of which way.

The clockwise route was probably the busiest (on balance) but you've got the toll tunnel/bridge going anti-clockwise.

I'm not being very helpful, am I...?! ;-)

Pretty much how I saw it trousers. According to Google maps the top way is 3 miles shorter. Reckon i'll just see if there's any jams while i'm heading up the M3 and decide then.

If only London wasn't in the way, it would be much quicker!

Pretty much how I saw it trousers. According to Google maps the top way is 3 miles shorter. Reckon i'll just see if there's any jams while i'm heading up the M3 and decide then.

If only London wasn't in the way, it would be much quicker!

There are long term road works both ways...probably less miles of them if you go through the tunnel (anti-clockwise) but as stated - thereare the tunnel costs and queues as well.

For many years (showing my age) I used to drive to every home match down the A12 and through the centre of London...no congestion charge then but I used the (from your end M3/A31/A3/Elephant & Castle/Tower Bridge/Leytonstone/Romford route to the A12...not sure it isn't as quick still - I just take the easier option these days.