Charlton

Who else is up for this one then? Well looking forward to it! Will be my first away game of the season & first time to Charlton + all day on the lash in town.

Any advice on quickest way to get there, pubs...etc from those who have been to Charlton before?

And yes before anybody asks i have checked out http://www.footballgroundguide.co.uk, just wanted a view different opinions from here!

Who else is up for this one then? Well looking forward to it! Will be my first away game of the season & first time to Charlton + all day on the lash in town.

Any advice on quickest way to get there, pubs...etc from those who have been to Charlton before?

And yes before anybody asks i have checked out http://www.footballgroundguide.co.uk, just wanted a view different opinions from here!

Ill be there, and Simo and Goose

go to the hole in the wall at waterloo for a drink,and then train from waterloo east.or go to london bridge ,borough market just outside station and train straight to charlton from there.enjoy the day,coyr

Yea looking fwd to it, after the game last season we went into the Duke of Wellington (opp Waterloo)until we ran out of money, loads of Saints fans in there.

• 2 weeks later...
They've just released the ticket prices - it's £30 for an adult ticket, yet on the Charlton website it's advertising tickets at £20 for home fans. I thought they had to charge us the same price as the cheapest tickets they offer for home fans?

There's no special offer and it's a CAT A game for them.

Think they have to charge away fans the same as they charge home fans for equivalent seats, not the cheapest they offer.

For drinkies go to London Bridge. Loads of really good pubs and the Borough Market. Then get the train to Charlton from there and either go for one in Antigallican or straight to ground.

This, basically. Minus the Antigallican.

For drinkies go to London Bridge. Loads of really good pubs and the Borough Market. Then get the train to Charlton from there and either go for one in Antigallican or straight to ground.

Same for us lot too.

Drink in London Bridge, then the short train trip to Charlton. If I was you, I would avoid the Antigallican unless you are in there at least 2hrs before kick-off, it gets rammed with Saints Fans, hard to get served and crap beer in plastic glasses.

So stay for the extra one in London Bridge and then head straight for the ground...

PS... Bungle, you said on another thread, that you know me.... any clues to who you are? (not a mate of ex-Aberystwyth Saint are you?)

Same for us lot too.

Drink in London Bridge, then the short train trip to Charlton. If I was you, I would avoid the Antigallican unless you are in there at least 2hrs before kick-off, it gets rammed with Saints Fans, hard to get served and crap beer in plastic glasses.

So stay for the extra one in London Bridge and then head straight for the ground...

PS... Bungle, you said on another thread, that you know me.... any clues to who you are? (not a mate of ex-Aberystwyth Saint are you?)

I am the guy who was ex-Aberystwyth!

Market Porter is one of my lunchtime locals... good pub.

Good call there Pancake. One of my regulars too when I worked up that neck of the woods. I'm sure we'll find ourselves in there at some point before and/or after Charlton.

Also there's a wetherspoons called the Barrowboy & Banker which can be alright on occasions. Take the main exit out of London Bridge station, turn right, walk down to the main road & you can't miss it.

Good call there Pancake. One of my regulars too when I worked up that neck of the woods. I'm sure we'll find ourselves in there at some point before and/or after Charlton.

Also there's a wetherspoons called the Barrowboy & Banker which can be alright on occasions. Take the main exit out of London Bridge station, turn right, walk down to the main road & you can't miss it.

Yep BB&B is a good easy pub, plenty of room too. Pizza Express round the corner if you get the munchies too.

Ha! Face to a Handle now...

Last bumped into each other in the Wetherspoons at Swansea before you moved on to the "NO NAME BAR".

...so may see you at London Bridge before Charlton perhaps!

:drinkers:

I will be drinking in many of the pubs.

Yeah get a "group saver" ticket. All you need is to have 4 of you travelling together and at the same time and the tix get cheaper than railcard reductions, Ladysaint is right.

Personally I'll be in the Barrow Boy & Banker in London Bridge at 11am and carrying on from there. Gonna be absolutely ****ed by the time I reach the Valley! Another Preston [2nd half] please lads.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know whether to buy a ticket and go or just head along for a few pre-match beers and then stay in the pub to watch the rugby and keep track of the scores on Soccer Saturday :eek:

Failing to buy a ticket in advance and then not going to the game worked quite well for everyone on Saturday. I suggest you do that again ;)

Market Porter is one of my lunchtime locals... good pub.

3 very good pubs down Stoney Street, opposite Borough Market! The Market Porter being the best of all I agree but they wouldn't let any of us with colours in last year as a warning.

Can't remember the name of the Youngs pub in the middle of the three but I can rarely drag the rest out of the The Southwark anyway on previous attempts. Then 20 mins (?) to Charlton on train from London Bridge which is only a few minutes away.

A mid-trip cultural stop off at Maize Hill has also been favoured by some in the past I understand.

3 very good pubs down Stoney Street, opposite Borough Market! The Market Porter being the best of all I agree but they wouldn't let any of us with colours in last year as a warning.

Can't remember the name of the Youngs pub in the middle of the three but I can rarely drag the rest out of the The Southwark anyway on previous attempts. Then 20 mins (?) to Charlton on train from London Bridge which is only a few minutes away.

A mid-trip cultural stop off at Maize Hill has also been favoured by some in the past I understand.

Yep, they refused us last year, so spent the whole morning in the Southwark tavern, which has always been a good venue to be fair. They do reasonably priced meals too.

Looking forward to another good away-day.

How many have we sold? Traditionally Charlton is a good turnout but with Reading being so well supported last week not sure if we will pack it out.

I've been to each of the four away games we've won this season and hoping to make it five on Saturday

I missed Derby but been at all the other wins.

I feel quite confident about Saturday, no doubt that confidence will have vanished by full time this evening.

Be there for 12.00 do you still get loads of saints fans in there Dan

England are playing egg chasing on Saturday, and the Hole in the Wall is often heaving when England are playing at Twickenham, so may be worth drinking elsewhere (though would not go to that awful antigallican at Charlton)

Just phoned up the pub and it opens at 11 for anyone who is wondering what time to head there.

Cheers - Reckon we'll head straight over to London Bridge then. Hope a pub is open early there otherwise it might be cans & a park bench for a few hours!!

Edit - Just checked Wetherspoons site, the nearest to Waterloo is on Jamestown road in Camden, nearest tube stop being Camden Town on the Northern line.

Edited by saints_is_the_south