Best away day in the last 7 years...

stkev7

Without doubt Oldham away 0-6 for me. It was the stuff of dreams. Cold horrible night, up north, Tuesday night, middle of January and was a spur of the moment thing for me and a mate.

Saints just don't normally do things like that.

My nominations for this season have got to be:

Leeds- Small following who did not stop getting behind the team right until the final whistle, and completely robbing Leeds of 3 points.

Birmingham- Not sure why i enjoyed this so much, the football was c*ap, boring goaless draw, and got stuck in Brum for hours afterwoods.

Last season either Peterborough or Orient i think. ( i couldn't do Oldham/Plymouth)

Preston 08/09 - Great comeback followed up by a very messy night in Blackpool.

Plymouth 10/11 - No explanation needed.

Oldham 10/11 - First time I'd seen us hit 6 away from home (missed the Wolves game)

Reading 08/09 - We were terrible at the time, they were brilliant and somehow we won. Totally unexpected, hence it's inclusion.

There have been plenty but they're the 4 stand out ones for me.

Many of those mentioned above are in my list, along with:

Norwich 09/10 - 2-0. We took a top of the table team apart.

Ipswich 11/12 - 5-2. The game when everyone there realised we could have a great season.

QPR 07/08 - 3-0. A bizarre result at the start of the season when it all started to go horribly wrong!

Bournemouth 10/11 - 3-1. Cracking day out, and put them firmly in their place.

For score lines, the 6-0 wins at Oldham and Wolves.

For the overall day, Plymouth and Leyton Orient last season.

For the game, Leeds this year and Brighton last year.

For p1ss ups, Leyton Orient and Yeovil 2 years ago.

In the years before, Im struglling to find anything else that sticks out, other than maybe the West Brom game.

I suppose it all depends on the individual as to what makes a cracking away day. Some are quite content to sit on a supporters coach, arrive shortly before kick off, have a Bovril at half time and just clap when we score. I'm not knocking that at all, each to their own.

For me it starts off with the journey (usually by train), the pre-match pub(s), obviously the game itself (not the end of the world if we're awful) and then anything that happens after the game. In fact, some of the worst performances have made the best away days. Doncaster this season and Rochdale last season spring to mind when the performance on the pitch hasn't been up to much.

I suppose it all depends on the individual as to what makes a cracking away day. Some are quite content to sit on a supporters coach, arrive shortly before kick off, have a Bovril at half time and just clap when we score. I'm not knocking that at all, each to their own.

For me it starts off with the journey (usually by train), the pre-match pub(s), obviously the game itself (not the end of the world if we're awful) and then anything that happens after the game. In fact, some of the worst performances have made the best away days. Doncaster this season and Rochdale last season spring to mind when the performance on the pitch hasn't been up to much.

The 5-0 loss at Sheff Weds turned out to be a great day.

There's been so many top away days, too many to mention but I've tried to whittle down my nominations to 6:

Derby (Play Off Semi) - Despite the result, the rollercoaster of emotions that night are unrivalled. Plus there being about 5K Saints fans there too made for an awesome atmosphere.

Hartlepool (First season) - One of those that had to be done. My words that night were, 'When we are finally back in the Premiership, we'll look back at Hartlepool away on a Tuesday night with a wry smile, reflecting on how far we had fallen, and how far we had to come back to get to where we belong'

Leyton Orient (Both seasons) - Having 1 whole side of the stadium on both occasions was great.

Plymouth (last season) - We got promoted (well, virtually anyway), good train journey down and an even better day when we arrived.

Palace (this season) - 6K Saints fans, and SRL edging us that little bit closer to promotion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just about our 1 and only glimpse of The Dutch Duo's Total Football .... thrashing a pathetic Derby who hadn't won a game in a year 1-0.

Some of the football was very good and Killer made a fantastic return .... just a shame it was a false dawn.

Oh .... and doing my damn best to try and work my way thru all the different beers in The Brunswick but having to call it a day at 11 - train journey back was a bit of a blur!!

Brighton 10/11

Plymouth 10/11

Palace 11/12

but my all time favourite on a personal note was Walsal December 09/10...That thing l married said put £20 on Collonolly to score first and Saints to win 3-1. Got 66-1 for that and lucky l doubled up

got a wacking £2680 for forty quid

Edited by dickyhale

Leicester Away FA Cup 05/06 - My first away game

Palace Away 06/07 - Played Palace off the park in their own back yard

West Brom away 07/08

Derby Away 06/07 - Play-offs

Derby Away 08/09 - Shoved their play-off wins in their faces

My number 1 definitely has to be:

Wolves Away 06/07 - 6-0, literally an amazing away day, taking the p**s out of the Wolves fans on the coach on the way out was hilarious