Villa - 12th Jan

It's either £39 direct from Southampton, or £32ish if you go via London. Rather pay the extra 7 quid to take out the hassle of going up to Waterloo and tubing it across London.

Probably would have been slightly cheaper had I booked it a few weeks ago. Last season I think we paid for £35 direct to Coventry, but got them as soon as they went on sale.

It's either £39 direct from Southampton, or £32ish if you go via London. Rather pay the extra 7 quid to take out the hassle of going up to Waterloo and tubing it across London.

Probably would have been slightly cheaper had I booked it a few weeks ago. Last season I think we paid for £35 direct to Coventry, but got them as soon as they went on sale.

I admire your planning! I'm not booking the train until I know I can get a ticket for the game, this may make it more expensive but that's my choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been offered hospitality in the "Sky Lounge" with a couple of mates (one who supports Villa). Against my better judgement about attending hospitality for any match involving Saints (based on some prior experiences at Chelsea and Spurs), I have said yes.

If we lose, I will be surrounded by Villa fans. If we win, I will be 100% gutted I am not in the away end. The food, beers and company had better be good....

• 2 weeks later...
My account history only shows the Sheffield Wed cup match and then has this message below? Anyway I have a confirmation email re Villa tickets.

TransID

-1 01 Jan 1970 ErrorInput string was not in a correct format. £0.00

So does mine.

If you phone the ticket office they can see your correct ticket history. it's no more expensive to buy from them.

Do Network Cards still exist?

I always used to get a NW Card day return to Banbury (was furthest north station in NW Card region) and at the same time get a day return Banbury to Witton (station near Villa Park). The train ticket office could sell you both these tickets on the day of the game.

You could then get any train there & back that you wanted - no having to make up stories to the guard about why you are on the wrong train (man, I've heard some belters before). Also no worries about the game getting moved to another date.

Can you still do this?

Do Network Cards still exist?

I always used to get a NW Card day return to Banbury (was furthest north station in NW Card region) and at the same time get a day return Banbury to Witton (station near Villa Park). The train ticket office could sell you both these tickets on the day of the game.

You could then get any train there & back that you wanted - no having to make up stories to the guard about why you are on the wrong train (man, I've heard some belters before). Also no worries about the game getting moved to another date.

Can you still do this?

Yes they do and yes you can.

Even without a Network card (which covers the SE region) it is still far cheaper to break the journey up ie Southampton Banbury return and Banbury Witton return.

Also you use the group saver on the first part if travelling in a four.

All the Basingstoke Brum trains stop at Banbury, I believe, so can't see a problem.

Yes they do and yes you can.

Even without a Network card (which covers the SE region) it is still far cheaper to break the journey up ie Southampton Banbury return and Banbury Witton return.

Also you use the group saver on the first part if travelling in a four.

All the Basingstoke Brum trains stop at Banbury, I believe, so can't see a problem.

If it's a Cross Country service (which I think all Basingstoke to Banbury trains are), Group Save tickets aren't accepted on them. You'd only be able to get Group Save tickets on a SWT service to Basingstoke and then change to the Cross Country, which would have come from Southampton anyway.

If it's a Cross Country service (which I think all Basingstoke to Banbury trains are), Group Save tickets aren't accepted on them. You'd only be able to get Group Save tickets on a SWT service to Basingstoke and then change to the Cross Country, which would have come from Southampton anyway.

Yep, you're right re Group saver, apologies. Still makes sense to break the tickets up though and the Network card does give a discount to Banbury.

You can buy 2 group saves if going via London Euston, one with SW and one with London Midland Trains works out £32 each

I'd be careful regards London Midland

We used them for Stoke

On way up train stopped at Rugby as no crew available beyond there so had to wait another hour for next train to Stoke

On way back no toiliets so train had to stop at Litchfield and Milton Keynes for toilet stops

I was cheap though £17 each of you were in group of 4

I'm on the away supporter coach for the 1st time since 1990. Just found out its £10 to park at SMS FFS !!!

Get there early and park on Britannia road for free.

To be fair it serves you right for going official, there are 2 independent groups that run coaches from practical locations, with free parking and are far cheaper than going official.