Wigan away

SFC Chris

I might be able to get to this one and a couple of other away fixtures now so signed up online. Tickets of course not available yet, but there's something about being 'eligible'. Couldn't find anything about what this is or how to qualify. Can anyone shed any light on this? In the lower leagues I'd just turn up at the away venue and pay on the day or get a ticket from them direct so never had to be concerned with this.

I might be able to get to this one and a couple of other away fixtures now so signed up online. Tickets of course not available yet, but there's something about being 'eligible'. Couldn't find anything about what this is or how to qualify. Can anyone shed any light on this? In the lower leagues I'd just turn up at the away venue and pay on the day or get a ticket from them direct so never had to be concerned with this.

They'll (in theory, at least - the system often has glitches that lets you get tickets even when not eligible) go on sale in the following order:

16th Jan - Season ticket holders who have been to at least one away game this season

18th Jan - All season ticket holders

21st Jan - Anyone (season ticket holder or not) who has been to at least one away game this season

23rd Jan - General sale

If you've only just signed up for a customer account online, I assume you'll fall into the last category. We'll have around 5,000 tickets so you shouldn't have a problem getting a ticket, but obviously you're at the back of the queue in terms of priority.

It can work out cheaper to book a train to Manchester Piccadilly and then pay on the day to go from there to Wigan (£3.70 or thereabouts, I think).

Much cheaper. 2 x A 1 x C with a family & friends card;

Stafford - Wigan (change at Crewe) direct - £48

Stafford - Manchester / Manchester - Wigan - £26

£11 for me and Dave and £4 for my nipper!

Adds about 20mins out and 30mins return.

It can work out cheaper to book a train to Manchester Piccadilly and then pay on the day to go from there to Wigan (£3.70 or thereabouts, I think).

Return from Manchester to Wigan is £8.20, takes about 40 minutes. Unless you have Railcards, in which case it comes down to around that figure - we've got five doing that journey on the day, with Network and Disabled Railcards it's working out at £17.70 for all five of us, works out at £3.54 each on average. :)

Return from Manchester to Wigan is £8.20, takes about 40 minutes. Unless you have Railcards, in which case it comes down to around that figure - we've got five doing that journey on the day, with Network and Disabled Railcards it's working out at £17.70 for all five of us, works out at £3.54 each on average. :)

I only need a single from Manchester to Wigan, managed to get a decent price on the direct train back from Wigan to Euston.

If we sell all 5k; I will run onto the pitch naked, take a dump in the centre circle then proceed to rub it all over my face whilst singing Play Up Pompey.

Jesus, let's hope we don't sell out then!

Well up for this one - won't get much of an atmosphere going with the home fans but hopefully quite a few k of us will make a good amount of noise.

Didn't mean that...just reread what I posted. Whats the cheapest way to get there via train?

I think I have left it a bit late to get a good deal! on Virgin from Euston return with an 16-25 rail card is around £48. Cant seem to find anything cheaper - knew I should have booked it ages ago

Didn't mean that...just reread what I posted. Whats the cheapest way to get there via train?

As ben05 suggests, the majority of cheap fares have probably already gone. The cheapest route will almost certainly be via London, and you might find it also involves going to Manchester first and then coming back down to Wigan.

I've just had a look and you can get a single to Manchester from Euston at 09.20 for £26, and the 20.15 from Wigan direct back to Euston is also £26 single. You then get an off-peak day single from Manchester to Wigan on the day for about £4, so it's not as horrendous as I thought it might be by now.

As ben05 suggests, the majority of cheap fares have probably already gone. The cheapest route will almost certainly be via London, and you might find it also involves going to Manchester first and then coming back down to Wigan.

I've just had a look and you can get a single to Manchester from Euston at 09.20 for £26, and the 20.15 from Wigan direct back to Euston is also £26 single. You then get an off-peak day single from Manchester to Wigan on the day for about £4, so it's not as horrendous as I thought it might be by now.

Fair enough, not that bad. Will look into it. Was planning on heading up after work on Friday and staying with a mate Friday/Sat night, then coming back Sunday afternoon - Cheers.

Anyone any idea on pubs yet?

"Simon Wright a visiting West Bromwich Albion fan informs me; 'Beside the away turnstiles is an entrance to a bar, specifically for the use of away fans. It has the usual bar, big screen television and sells pies, as well as teas and coffees. It's a great facility and welcomes families' It is know as the Marquee Bar as it resembles one inside. The traditional pub for away fans visiting the DW stadium is the Red Robin, which is only a few minutes walk away from the ground opposite the Cinema Complex.

Otherwise in the centre of town is a Wetherspoons outlet called the 'Moon Under Water' which was popular with away supporters on my last visit. Also worth a visit is the award winning 'Anvil' pub, which is located next to the bus station. Both these pubs are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Also worth a mention is the Berkeley on Wallgate (near the railway station). This fair sized pub, had a good mix of home and away supporters on my last visit, serves five ever changing real ales and shows Sky Sports on a huge screen. Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium. Andrew MacGregor adds; 'The Swan and Railway pub opposite North Western railway station was very welcoming. They encouraged us to put our Reading flag up in the window and were very pleasant to us all'.

"Car Parking:

There is a large car park at the stadium, specifically for the use of away supporters, which costs £5 per car or motorbike, £10 for mini buses and £20 for coaches. As you may expect though, there is sometimes quite a delay in getting out of this car park after the game, especially if there has been a larger than normal crowd in attendance. Make sure though that you avoid parking on the nearby Retail Park, as parking there is restricted to two hours and I have been informed of a number of fans who have ended up getting parking tickets (£50) because of this."

Lifted from the Wigan site.

"Simon Wright a visiting West Bromwich Albion fan informs me; 'Beside the away turnstiles is an entrance to a bar, specifically for the use of away fans. It has the usual bar, big screen television and sells pies, as well as teas and coffees. It's a great facility and welcomes families' It is know as the Marquee Bar as it resembles one inside. The traditional pub for away fans visiting the DW stadium is the Red Robin, which is only a few minutes walk away from the ground opposite the Cinema Complex.

Otherwise in the centre of town is a Wetherspoons outlet called the 'Moon Under Water' which was popular with away supporters on my last visit. Also worth a visit is the award winning 'Anvil' pub, which is located next to the bus station. Both these pubs are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Also worth a mention is the Berkeley on Wallgate (near the railway station). This fair sized pub, had a good mix of home and away supporters on my last visit, serves five ever changing real ales and shows Sky Sports on a huge screen. Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium. Andrew MacGregor adds; 'The Swan and Railway pub opposite North Western railway station was very welcoming. They encouraged us to put our Reading flag up in the window and were very pleasant to us all'.

"Car Parking:

There is a large car park at the stadium, specifically for the use of away supporters, which costs £5 per car or motorbike, £10 for mini buses and £20 for coaches. As you may expect though, there is sometimes quite a delay in getting out of this car park after the game, especially if there has been a larger than normal crowd in attendance. Make sure though that you avoid parking on the nearby Retail Park, as parking there is restricted to two hours and I have been informed of a number of fans who have ended up getting parking tickets (£50) because of this."

Lifted from the Wigan site.

Cheers for the pub info Wirral saint. A few options in there. Roll on Saturday!

Red Robin is the closest pub then, should be a few Saints fans in there. Might have a few in the centre as well. I'm guessing it's a cab from the town centre ?

Red Robin is a godawful Wacky Warehouse-type affair. Don't bother unless you've got the kids with you.

Best pub by a long way is the Anvil - up the road from the station, past Last Orders and round through the churchyard.

It's 15 minute's walk to the ground from there but there's another decent boozer, the Old Pear Tree, en route.

I can't be arsed going to Watford so I'm giving Saints a shout instead.