Lens recomendations

Pancake

Are you familiar with Fred Miranda? It is always my first port of call when looking at buying a new lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/ Great if they happen to have image samples for the lens you're looking at.

There's also this site I visit, but the comparison tests seem to be a bit random as often the lenses aren't really that similar.

What's your budget Pancake? Fairly key question given the range out there. Also, what's your main intended use?

Whilst it might not be ideal in some scenarios, don't rule out getting something like a 70-200 and a 1.4x teleconverter. Gets you arguably the best zoom going for up to 200mm, and a teleconverter that can be used on a host of other lenses. Just an option.

The 100-400 is a very good all-rounder but the push pull zoom isn't to everyone's tastes.

Fred Miranda that Al mentioned above is certainly the best resourse IMO.

Hmm, well I think Im willing to spend just over 300 if I need to, but would prefer to spend a bit less naturally.

Ive been toying with the idea of a 18-250 that Tamron make as I can replace by 18-55 plastic thing that came with the camera, and would be awesome as a carry round lens (the one problem with having specific lenses for me is that with the little un, Ive now got less space for my toys when out and about)

What's your budget Pancake? Fairly key question given the range out there. Also, what's your main intended use?

Whilst it might not be ideal in some scenarios, don't rule out getting something like a 70-200 and a 1.4x teleconverter. Gets you arguably the best zoom going for up to 200mm, and a teleconverter that can be used on a host of other lenses. Just an option.

The 100-400 is a very good all-rounder but the push pull zoom isn't to everyone's tastes.

Fred Miranda that Al mentioned above is certainly the best resourse IMO.

I read somewhere that the teleconverters only work with 'L' series lenses.

Is that true or did I just misread?

Yes, that's correct, and not all L series lenses are compatible either I don't believe... all I believe it's all the primes and only a couple of zooms, possibly even only one (the 70-200) but couldn't give you a definitive list.

It's difficult to recommend lenses that I've not used so I fear I might not be much help here, but I'm sure the Fred Miranda site will have plenty of good information and reviews.

Not really a tele-zoom eh?

I had one of those for about 14 months now, love it and use it a lot. I would say take your camera to the shop with you and try the actual lens you are buying as Sigma can be a bit hit and miss with the focus on their ultra wide lenses.

I would say take your camera to the shop with you and try the actual lens you are buying as Sigma can be a bit hit and miss with the focus on their ultra wide lenses.

I'd echo that advice. I have a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and it front-focuses terribly.

I bought one when it first came out two years ago and contacted Sigma who didn't have a problem calibrating it to my body (no mention was made one way of the other whether it would cost me anything). They did send me a magazine article which stated that the 30mm can be very revealing of lower build tolerances in the cheaper bodies and I did have a 350D at the time. Now I have much higher range camera bodies and just dug the lens out after almost forgetting about it all this time and it still does the same. I've contacted them again and waiting to hear back.

AFAIK, Canon and Nikon do not license their lens technology, so all third-party lenses are reverse engineered and compatibility with future bodies can't be guaranteed. The same is true with flashes and ETTL technology.