Bad Lieutenant

Deppo

...is being remade with Nicholas Cage in the lead role. What a load of old plums.

is does beg the question why

Werner Herzog is a great director though, he recently did Rescue Dawn and Grizzly Man which are both worth a watch.

but it does reek of Nic Cage wanting some more of that hot oscar action, oh yeah

this is from imdb

So, yes or no: Is Bad Lieutenant a project you're working on with Nicolas Cage?

HERZOG: Yes, but its not a remake. It's like, for example, you wouldn't call a new James Bond movie a remake of the previous one — although the name of the bad lieutenant is a different one, and the story is completely different. It's very interesting because Nicolas Cage really wants to work with me, and just anticipating working with an actor of his caliber is just wonderful.

Why this project, though? You could have worked on anything.

HERZOG: There's an interesting screenplay; it's a very, very dark story. It's great because it seems to reflect a side of the collective psyche — sometimes there are just good times for film noir. They don't come out of nowhere. There was some sort of a mysterious context with the understanding of people in that particular time. And it's going to be in New Orleans, which is a fascinating place. Part of it was the decision of the producers for tax incentives — which is totally legitimate. However, I thought to myself: "We have seen a lot of New York in movies; we have not seen New Orleans in feature films." Or very few feature films. After Katrina it's a particularly interesting set-up. The neglect and politics after the hurricane struck are something quite amazing. It has to do with public morality.

Speaking of which, the original film's director, Abel Ferrara, has vowed to fight this project, and —

HERZOG: Wonderful, yes! Let him fight! He thinks I'm doing a remake.