Local bands/gigs

trousers

Couldn't see an existing thread about local bands & gigs so apologies if this is in the wrong place.....

I'm into a new Southampton based band called 'COAST' - they're music is badged 'Celtic Rock' which sounds a bit narrow taste but they have influences from wider afield than that and are superb live.

I went to see them perform in Bitterne Park on Saturday and will be going to see them at their next gig at a club/bar called Boomerang in Hamble this Thursday evening (20th Nov).

Map:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=16&title=Boomerang%20Restaurant%20%26%20Bar&countryCode=GB&qs=SO314HA

If anyone fancy's a cracking night out I can highly recommend it.

I'll buy a pint for the first 5 Saints fans to turn up at the bar and ask "Where's Trousers?"....!

n756881800_1121201_9345.jpg

Winchester showcases its alternative dance scene!

Come and experience the Winchester's amazing dance music scene (including myself and the stain) as the Void vs Brap UK tour comes to a fantastically drunken climax at the Railway Inn on Saturday 29th November. The tour has been organised by outofthevoid.co.uk and brapfm.com to showcase the best young talent on the south coast and so far has stopped off in Soton, Portsmouth, Bristol and Brighton, raising loads of cash for charity.

The headliners are JayetAl, Winchester's best live band, fresh from their first UK tour and festival dates in Eastern Europe (pictured below). They're about to start recording their second album so this will be their last live show until they emerge from the studio, pasty faced, confused and horny, in Spring 09. This two piece make a gloriously huge racket, mixing the math-rock of Battles and the grandeur of Signor Ros with the bleepy, beaty joy of Orbital and Plaid, check out their music - http://www.myspace.com/jayetal

n892545283_1942550_8459.jpg

The rest of the evening will be an eclectic mix of dubstep, jungle, acid house, break-core, break-beat, electronica, hip hop, funk, afro-beat, jazz and current bun-core from Winchester's finest and hippest and moisted djs.

Entrance is only £2 and once we've covered the cost of venue hire all the monies will go to Oxjam. Hurray!

And although it is a charity event, I vow to thee that it will be so utterly debouched that your brain and liver will never talk to you again, just as you like it, and the music will have some real style and bite as you experience Winchester's cultural charms first hand.

Void vs Brap - Saturday 29th November @ the Railway Inn, Winchester. £2 entry

JayetAl (live) plus dj sets from rude_NHS, KILLblinton, klaus dinger, my name is not billy, Jeremy Waxman and more more more!!!

poster.jpg

The local music scene is dead, pretty much due to there being no quality local bands.

Hi. Am interested in what your 'quality' benchmark is?

Music genres? Actual professional quality of the 'sound'?

I believe there is 'quality' out there but (puts on Dad's pipe and slippers) in today's "local band scene" I find that unless you sound like all the millions of other guitar based groups out there or (for the ladies) you are a Lilly Allen/Duffy/Winehouse clone then you don't 'fit in' in.

Anyway, back to Radio 2 I go.... ;-)

their next gig at a club/bar called Boomerang in Hamble this Thursday evening (20th Nov).

I'll buy a pint for the first 5 Saints fans to turn up at the bar and ask "Where's Trousers?"....!

I'd welcome the free pint, but not sure if I'd be welcome in there after covering one of their toilet cubicles in sick. :-|

Are JayetAl playing Brighton? Might pop along given that it's free and stuff.

They are only playing the Winchester date :( you're welcome to pop along to that (that would be a pretty epic pop though, more of a bang really). You're welcome to bang along to that though (that sounds wrong now).

www.myspace.com/magicmonkeytheory

A couple of my mates are in this band, they're supporting Flamboyant Bella at Joiners on the 11th of December. They played there in early November with Dekolta and Switch Transmission and the people who run the place liked them so much they offered them a slot with Flamboyant Bella plus a support slot of their choice for any band that's playing at Joiners in the forseeable future! That's pretty kick arse tbh.

l_dbcdb4c19e984f9a94d53a4ab3a86d69.jpg

You are totally right.

I see quality as something different, it doesnt have to be a different genre but something that grabs you such as an outstanding vocal, good songwriting or a performance. I've played with thousands of bands and most of them are either emulating music they listen to themselves or just there to be cool, most of them have a completely unjustified ego too.

There are loads of problems with this generation of music and the people driving it. Kids are now growing up listening to bands like the wombats for their inspiration. Their songwriting will never evolve without looking through their dads record collection, so back to your point, everything sonds the same, no imagination.

The fitting in problem you mentioned is a hard one. If you dont fit in people wont instantly like you but over a while you may well set a trend because you dont fit in. Bands that just hop onto a scene have a short shelf life and will never "make it international". Once an A&R scouts find a coldplay every label will want their own coldplay, so they sign similar acts like keane etc

Yeah my standards are high and there is a reason for that.

thank gawwd for radio 2

Sounds like you'd enjoy 'Coast' at Boomerang's in Hamble tonight then....no shallow minded trend setters in sight....just decent honest rock music ice-cream with a Celtic flake popped in the top for good measure....

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Glasvegas last night at Shepherds Bush. They disappointed me and left me a bit flat.

However, White Lies were supporting and they were excellent. I only found out they'd be there a few hours before and was very excited about seeing them. I tip them for greatness. Don't try them if you don't like Joy Division / Echo & The Bunnymen / Teardrop Explodes.

Before them were Southampton kids Thomas Tantrum. What can I say about them? Well I know it was Liverpool 0 - 0 West Ham still by the time they'd have finished.

Went to see Glasvegas last night at Shepherds Bush. They disappointed me and left me a bit flat.

However, White Lies were supporting and they were excellent. I only found out they'd be there a few hours before and was very excited about seeing them. I tip them for greatness. Don't try them if you don't like Joy Division / Echo & The Bunnymen / Teardrop Explodes.

Before them were Southampton kids Thomas Tantrum. What can I say about them? Well I know it was Liverpool 0 - 0 West Ham still by the time they'd have finished.

I know the bassist from Thomas Tantrum, they have got a very aquired musical taste, but a few catchy tunes!

• 1 month later...

my band the novatones will be doing our debut gig along side two quality bands the reason-tbc and the tykes on the 6th FEB at THE JOINERS 141 st marys st so141ns

tickets are £5

it gonna be indie rock all night it seems

if anyone's interested please post on hear and il leave details on how to purchase a ticket

this will be a top night if your into live original bands and we could do with all the support we can get from our fellow saints fans

oh and please become a fan on face book or ad us on myspace http://www.myspace.co/thenovertones

my band the novatones will be doing our debut gig along side two quality bands the reason-tbc and the tykes on the 6th FEB at THE JOINERS 141 st marys st so141ns

tickets are £5

it gonna be indie rock all night it seems

if anyone's interested please post on hear and il leave details on how to purchase a ticket

this will be a top night if your into live original bands and we could do with all the support we can get from our fellow saints fans

oh and please become a fan on face book or ad us on myspace www.myspace.co/thenovertones

So is your name "Novatones" or "Novertones"? I'm confused by this.

• 2 weeks later...
White Lies are shocking. :smt088

Sh1te Lies, more like... ahaha! ahahahahaaaaaa! See what I did?

(Come and watch me and jeff leopard in The Limes, Psychedelic Sunday Lunch Set, O'Neill's in Winchester, 1st Feb, about 1-ish... it's for charity I think, but I don't know which one)

Sh1te Lies... oh my...

• 7 months later...

COAST are playing at The Joshua Tree in Northam tonight:

http://www.coastrock.co.uk/joshuatree.htm

Also....Debut album launch gig at Talking Heads on 21st Nov....

5368_141253185768_804675768_2368390_7389081_n.jpg

coastmusic.jpg

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/coastmusic

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=81386153934&ref=share

Cheers

Edited by trousers

• 2 weeks later...

um its hard to say who our influence s are. i can see what you mean with the mems and undertones as our music has a punk feal to it.i couldn't honestly tell you exactly who influences our when we write its our goal to be individual as a band whist staying with our punky/mod sound

• 4 weeks later...