Home studio

Pancake

Can I ask what kind of budget you've got/willing to spend? That tends to guide everything else.

Firstly, how much space do you have? Are you looking to do full body or even groups, or just head and shoulders/product shots? You'd be surprised how much room you can need for even the latter, although if you really want to squeeze it in, you can do so without full backdrops or other items. As always, compromises are possible but that can then be reflected in lower quality pictures or less flexibility to shoot what you want and how you want to shoot it.

My basic checklist would comprise of:

- Lights

A starter kit like the Elinchrom D-Lite 2/4 kit ( http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3116 ) is ideal... that's what I have and use it for professional stuff because it's nice and portable too. A basic kit will come with umbrellas or softboxes to get you started but you might wanna consider other accessories like snoots or grids depending on what you want to do.

- Reflector

Not strictly 'studio' kit but really useful as clever use of reflectors can give you lots more lighting options but without the need to buy more lights. Lastolite do a good range but there are others.

- Backdrop

You may not need one if you have nice white walls and only want to do portraits using a white background, but chances are you'll need more versitility.

I have a very simple Kenro background support system from London Camera Exchange in town (£140ish), again, because of it's portability, as we use it for events a lot, but there is a huge amount of choice out there. If the room is to be a permanent studio, consider the excellent Manfrotto wall-mounted kit. I used to have this in my old studio and it was excellent.

Backdrops are one area where you can save money if you shop around in fabric shops. You can find suitable, and quite varied material for different effects, and all you need to do if sew a loop in one end for backdrop supports and hey presto. Or, find another way of hanging it from the wall/ceiling if you don't want to spend out on a support system, but this can obviously damage your wall/ceiling if you're not careful.

Alternatively, you can use rolls of paper or frankly anything you like depending on the desired effects.

Again, Lastolite do a good range, including lit backdrops and all sorts of other items. Check their website for more info on everything they do but shop around for other brands too.

- Props

Don't go too cheesy, but simple things like a stool, beanbags or cushions are good tools, or toys for kids portraits... again depends on what you're shooting, but DO NOT BUY THESE if you can help it... get on Freecycle or look in freeads or and see what you can pick up. There's usually loads about that you might not buy for your house but can look good in photos.

- Light meter

Not essential with digital SLR's but still very useful. I use the Sekonic L308S ( http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1006844 ) , which you can't really beat for value for money.

- Good lenses

Matter of opinion this, but shooting at wider apertures with quality lighting, will show up poorer lenses. Good quality (prime if possible) lenses really show their quality in the studio IMO.

- Electricity

Perhaps not something that springs to mind immediately, but make sure you have enough power points available, and that cables aren't going to be running across areas where people will be walking... it's very easy to trip over and break equipment, especially with a whole family in the studio. If it's just for personal stuff and fewer people or product stuff then not so much of an issue, but a consideration nonetheless.

I think that'll do for starters...! If you have a budget in mind, i can make some specific recommendations. One other thing you could do is ask to visit a working studio... any decent studio shouldn't mind you going along to have a look and get some idea of what they have.

One final thing I would say is that if your budget is really tight, don't let me put you off... you can set up a simple studio in a room well lit by sunlight, or use traditional smaller camera flash units mounted on poles if you want to.

Cheers Minty, thats some good info there.

To be honest, Im not really sure about budget. Some of the kits Ive been looking at start from about £199 for a 2 head (1 softbox, 1 umbrella) combo; and as Im not going to use this for much more than family and friends (at the moment while I find my feet), then Im at pains to spend more than about 300 in total.

As for space, Ive been given the OK to convert one end of the garage to a white-out area, and its got loads of power points free so thats covered too. No natural light to speak of there as the window is covered by branches from the tree, so it will all have to be lamps.

I actaully had a look round a local studio on Monday as I was getting some shots on my son done and asked the 'tog if I could have a nose about. He was fine about it, and its looked a pretty simple set-up: 2 flash heads (both softboxes) and 1 constant light covered with a honeycomb.

Sounds like you're already well on the way then... the lights are the most important bit. Learning how to use them for different styles and effects is the single most important thing you can learn...

Just bear in mind that, like your lenses really, buying something cheaper initially in terms of power, is certainly not a bad idea, but if you do want to do more, then having some extra power in reserve is always helpful. I've never needed anything more than the 400W from my D-Lite 4's even in relatively large spaces... just check the power on those cheaper kits and make sure you're comfortable with it.

I have just finished building a studio from scratch in a log cabin. I got muslin backdrops from ebay which I have found pretty good as they have the loop to hang them with and are thick material, they were about £40. Height is the main issue I have had. I have bought Bowens lighting which so far seems very good.