Saints Greatest XI - Best Centre Backs Poll

St Landrew

Saints Greatest XI - The Best Centre Backs  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Greatest XI - The Best Centre Backs

Once again the vote is open for the greatest Saints players. I think we all appreciate that we can only vote for the players we've actually seen play. So when we vote for the greatest RB, I won't be expecting any nominations/votes for Charles Burgess Fry, or Alf Ramsey whether they really were the greatest of not. As someone pointed out - we are debating the greatest quality players to grace a Saints shirt in the last 50 years. We have to accept that, with the greatest respect to the above mentioned players, and Ted Bates, Charlie Wayman, etc..., unless we all wake our grandparents/fathers out of their snoozes, they aren't going to get a look in.

But what we are doing is still valid and fun. So... just to be clear. You are voting for 2 players in this poll, using 2 votes. You are not voting for them as a pairing, but rather as 2 best quality individual players. There are 10 players to vote for; the maximum the software allows. They were chosen because they received more nominations than the remaining players. Some people will say, where's so-n-so..? Well pick your next favourite. I believe this list covers all the very best CBs within our era, that it can.

EDIT: Just to recap, as before but with the obvious change: The top 2 voted for players will become the A team CBs, and the next 2 most voted for players will become the B team CBs. The Sub's bench we'll nominate and vote for after the teams have been decided.

Edited by St Landrew

Sorry Um. The software doesn't allow me to restrict you to 2 votes, as far as I'm aware. ;)

Only pulling your leg fella.

Quite enjoying these polls as I definitley have my greatest XI in my mind, but it's good to see how it fits in with others views (particularly those who may have seen players i wasn't fortunate to see).

How about extending it to having a subs bench and of course a manager?

Quite enjoying these polls as I definitley have my greatest XI in my mind, but it's good to see how it fits in with others views (particularly those who may have seen players i wasn't fortunate to see).

Re: leg pull - Yes, I know, but I'm just answering the question for others too.

The subs bench is certainly in my mind and, as Saints have had enough managers in the last 50 years in which to construct a poll, I see no reason why not. It might be obvious to some, but then we'd have fun seeing them in order of preference.

Hell, why not a board of directors poll too..! :D

The subs bench is a great idea - can't think of any other way Nick Holmes will get in, and it just wouldn't be right if he wasn't there!

Unlike Um Pahars, I never really thought seriously about compiling a greatest Saints team before, because whenever I thought about it, I've immediately come up against the restriction that is I have to leave out the players I've not seen play, and before that has been unacceptable. But of course we can do this. I'm going to have huge trouble with the midfield [btw, we'll do it like we're doing the defence, i.e. LM, 2 CMs and RM in 3 polls], and the strikers. I mean, Saints have always been an attack minded team, during my era, and most of the notable players have been in midfield and attack. It's going to kill me leaving out some of my favourite players because there are better players above them.

You have been warned. And so have I. ;)

Once again the vote is open for the greatest Saints players. I think we all appreciate that we can only vote for the players we've actually seen play. So when we vote for the greatest RB, I won't be expecting any nominations/votes for Charles Burgess Fry, or Alf Ramsey whether they really were the greatest of not. As someone pointed out - we are debating the greatest quality players to grace a Saints shirt in the last 50 years. We have to accept that, with the greatest respect to the above mentioned players, and Ted Bates, Charlie Wayman, etc..., unless we all wake our grandparents/fathers out of their snoozes, they aren't going to get a look in.

I can't agree with that.

A Man U poll based on those conditions would see people like George Best

and Bobby Charlton not getting a place. Hardly any Man U fans saw Duncan Edwards play, but I bet there wouldn't be any Man U fan (plastic or not) that wouldn't have him in their Greatest XI.

Part of being a fan of any team is to have knowledge and respect of your history.

We should wake our fathers/grandads up and ask them what was so great about Terry Paine or the time we beat Wolves 9-3.

4 people I never saw play but I know should be in Saints Greatest XI simply cos I'm informed enough to care...

Bill Ellerington

Terry Paine

Mick Channon

Ron Davies

The subs bench is a great idea - can't think of any other way Nick Holmes will get in, and it just wouldn't be right if he wasn't there!

Ah yes, but if you are picking a sub, the best man for the job is David Puckett. Picked No 12 week after week and would spend all game every game warming up along the West Stand running track hardly ever actually getting on the pitch. Best sub we ever had!!

Nick Holmes would have been my left back. Simply based on appearences and all round effort to the club.

I can tell this is going to get my goat cos so far we have had:

Shilton (did we get the best Shilton - no, that was the Forest Shilton)

Bridge (did we get the best Bridge - no, Chelsea was a big error cos the guy who keeps him out the England team also keeps him out his club team)

And we will most likely have:

Wright (was amazing CB but broke his leg at a crucial time in his career and was long gone by the time he realised his potential - if he ever did)

Edited by adysaint

I can't agree with that.

A Man U poll based on those conditions would see people like George Best

and Bobby Charlton not getting a place. Hardly any Man U fans saw Duncan Edwards play, but I bet there wouldn't be any Man U fan (plastic or not) that wouldn't have him in their Greatest XI.

Part of being a fan of any team is to have knowledge and respect of your history.

We should wake our fathers/grandads up and ask them what was so great about Terry Paine or the time we beat Wolves 9-3.

4 people I never saw play but I know should be in Saints Greatest XI simply cos I'm informed enough to care...

Bill Ellerington

Terry Paine

Mick Channon

Ron Davies

I respect that opinion, and to a certain extent, support it. For example, Derek Reeves, a Saints striker I never saw play, must have been one effective individual, even if his best work was in the lower leagues. But finishing is finishing, and he was undoubtedly great at it.

But Saints fans do tend to go with who they have watched, rather than take anyone's word for it. And as to Man U fans not nominating Charlton or Best - how long ago do you think they played..? I saw them play at The Dell on several occasions, with both at their peak, so I can imagine there are plenty of Man U fans still extant who have seen them. Whether they'd do well in a poll-vote up against modern rivals including Rooney and Ronaldo is undecided. One thing is certain though. I'd be qualified to give an opinion. :D

BTW, although I never saw Bill Ellerington play, I did see Paine, Channon and Davies. In fact, Ron Davies' competitive Saints debut coincided with my first Saints match. So don't worry, they'll get their nominations from someone, when their time comes.

Anybody think Martin Chivers over Ron Davies..? Probably not.

BTW, although I never saw Bill Ellerington play, I did see Paine, Channon and Davies. In fact, Ron Davies' competitive Saints debut coincided with my first Saints match. So don't worry, they'll get their nominations from someone, when their time comes.

Anybody think Martin Chivers over Ron Davies..? Probably not.

I always thought Chivs was better as second striker, rather than the out and out target man, but Spurs thought otherwise, though I don't think he really liked playing the no.9 position, unike Ron who was the archetypal no9.

I think he looked the real deal when he first came into the side alongside Ripper Kirby, his shooting was dangerous coming from just a little further back.

I respect that opinion, and to a certain extent, support it. For example, Derek Reeves, a Saints striker I never saw play, must have been one effective individual, even if his best work was in the lower leagues. But finishing is finishing, and he was undoubtedly great at it.

B :D

Actually he used to fall over a lot - scored lots of goals though.

What..? Without provocation, pushing, fouling, etc..?

Certainly scored lots of goals. The record is there for all to see.

He used to fall over without provocation - it looked like he never had the right studs in - it was a bit like Ostenstad always being off side.

**ATTENTION PEOPLE**

Although 99 people have voted, I have only counted 182 votes in total. It should total 198, so far. This means that some people are only voting for one defender. Unless you loathe every player except your no. 1 choice, please remember to make your entire vote count and choose 2 defenders from those listed. We want this to be fair and representative of fans opinions from players of the last 50 years.

Ta.

Thanks for you votes peeps. You've made this an interesting poll. Michael Svensson is certainly a well regarded CB, and although I left him out of my voted for pair, I'm heartedly glad he made it into the A team alongside Mark Wright. What a pairing. I'd like to watch a sea of team's attacks break upon their defence.

But you've left me with a problem. The B team has Dave Watson and a choice of teammates. We need to vote for his CB partner, so just for a short time we'll vote between Claus Lundekvam and Dean Richards [Ken Monkou narrow missing out], in a new poll. Please go to that and vote now.

Ta.

P.S. When that vote has been decided, I'll put the line up, so far, on here.

Claus Lundekvam made it into the B team, after all.

So now we have these line ups, so far:

For the A Team

-----------------Shilton------------------

---?----Wright-----Svensson-----Bridge

and the B Team

-----------------Niemi-------------------

----?--Lundekvam---Watson----Dennis

I'm already beginning to think which team might win most games out of a best of series. They already have the makings of really great quality. Look out for the odd article on the main site of the teams we're putting together. Coming, in the not too distant future, I hope.

In the meantime, let's get this defence sorted. RB nominations are up. Let's have them.

Cheers.

I am surprised that Svensson made the A team and Watson is in the B team. For me, although both were great players, that's the wrong way around. Might this be a case of more "younger" voters, who never saw Watson play?

Well that's how I see it too. But, for an error in democratic decision making, it's not the worst that's ever happened. :)