Advice, please!

Crab Lungs

The usual question applies. What is your budget?

Ideally, you want a decent tripod. Spend at about £100 on a brand like Manfrotto, Gitzo, Velbon or Slik; not a £25 Jessops special.

If you want to take the DSLR route, an 18-55mm kit lens with either an entry-level Canon or Nikon body will do as good starting point.

You may want to see how you get on with that before upgrading to a nice wide angled lens. The Sigma 10-20mm lens is available as a Canon, Nikon and Sigma mount. Alternatively, look at the Tamron 11-18mm which will fit Canon, Nikon and Minolta (which means it should fit Sony's Alpha range) or Tokina's 11-16mm and 12-24mm which will fit Canon and Nikon.

Of course, Canon make their own 10-22mm and Nikon have 12-24mm.

Then, you may want to consider a Cokin P-series filter which allows you to do all sorts of tricks such as cut back the sky's light so it's not over-exposed in relation to your landscape, simulate the colour from a sunset, polarise, diffuse....

So, how much have you got to spend?

Hey all

Thanks for the replies... I was provisionally only going to spend about £300, but I reckon I could stretch myself to £500... I understand that this may not buy me the absolute top of the range gear, but as long as it provides me a half decent set up then i'll be happy...

so... how far can i go with £500.... eeeeeeeek....

Spend what I said on the tripod. It'll last you a lifetime.

You should be able to get a second hand Canon EOS 350 with 18-55mm lens for £150-200. If you find yourself really enjoying it and wanting to get more out of it, then look at the wideangle lens I suggested which start from about £250.