A little help please?

Iowsaintsfan

I currently have a Fuji Finepix S5600, though im thinking of upgrading.

I was wondering if anyone has come across any good deals or recommendations for a DSLR especially in the time of this "credit crunch" ;)

I had a little look at the thread at the bottom of the page and was wondering if you still recommend the same bodies etc?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Iowsaintsfan

I'm a great believer in buying second hand camera gear.

I bought an old Canon EOS 300D with 18-55mm kit lens for my gf to play/practice for £125 and ended up taking it to Gran Canaria with us since I didn't want to take anything expensive and not that bothered about the picture quality.

I would say that the image quality of this five year old DSLR matches or exceeds any current compact or bridge camera of a similar price.

Obviously eBay but the prices tend to be a little higher there unless you get lucky with a Buy it Now. That was a real bargain because itcame with a battery grip which is worth about £50 and it was in Eastleigh too.

I got mine from here, which is a bit cheaper as people don't need to cover eBay and PayPal fees but they don't come up very often.

Try Gumtree, but be careful as a high proportion of ads are clearly scams. Only deal with people face to face on here.

Ignore everything I've just said and buy my 300D. I've spoken to my girlfriend this evening we've agreed she's not got the time right now to practice with it.

You can have it for the same price as I paid for it and I'll chuck in a small memory card to get you started and a UV filter.

It's boxed with all the manuals, leads and CD ROM.

I have a mate who bought a refurbed 400D from the Canon outlet on eBay and not had any trouble with it other than a few dead pixels on the rear display.

I am convinced they partake in shill bidding though so if you don't win an auction but are offered a second chance bid, don't take it. Just try to another auction.

i have to admit i like the Canon EOS 450D is it worth getting a referbished 1 like the ones on Ebay?

anyone had any experience of a referbished one?

I got a refurbished 300d from fleebay.

It was faulty so I sent it back.

They sent me an upgraded 350d by way of apology which I've never had a problem with.

It pays to shop around for the best deal, and don't discount Hong Kong sellers as you used to be able to get a bargain.

It pays to shop around for the best deal, and don't discount Hong Kong sellers as you used to be able to get a bargain.

The problem there is the majority of the time you get hit with a Customs bill for the equivalent of the VAT and the courier's surcharge for processing the tax about a fortnight after receive the goods.

Some promise to refund the Customs charge but I have no idea how legit their claim is.

The problem there is the majority of the time you get hit with a Customs bill for the equivalent of the VAT and the courier's surcharge for processing the tax about a fortnight after receive the goods.

Some promise to refund the Customs charge but I have no idea how legit their claim is.

To be fair I've only ever ordered filters from HK, but they always come packaged with a label saying 'gift item'.

Not sure how legal it is, but I've never had a VAT or any other bill :smt102

400D with change from £300....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-EOS-400D-CAMERA-EF-S-18-55MM-40D-350D-450D-NEW_W0QQitemZ360115719805QQihZ023QQcategoryZ31388QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Weston Super Saint