Horror Films 2009

Master Bates

Yeah, these all sound great, there's no better quality than a sequel to a horror film is there? Even though all of the original stars and the director and writer have usually jumped ship.

I predict most of those films will be awful and will just try to repeat one popular part of their predecessors and do that badly.

Diminishing returns. What would be exciting would be a new and clever/creepy idea.

I loved The Orphanage, but the last thing I'd bother with would be The Orphanage 2.

Diminishing returns. What would be exciting would be a new and clever/creepy idea.

damn straight!

great horror films have a habit of coming out of no where and don't have 2,3,4,5,6 attached to their name. evil dead 2 was great but that was a comedy version of ed1.

I hope 28 months later will be decent but it won't be the end of the world if its rubbish (ironically).

The only horror these films will possess is how shockingly p1ss-weak they'll be. And honestly, who above the age of 12 cares about the Saw films?

damn straight!

great horror films have a habit of coming out of no where and don't have 2,3,4,5,6 attached to their name. evil dead 2 was great but that was a comedy version of ed1.

I hope 28 months later will be decent but it won't be the end of the world if its rubbish (ironically).

The only horror these films will possess is how shockingly p1ss-weak they'll be. And honestly, who above the age of 12 cares about the Saw films?

Evil Dead 1 came across as comedy too.

I would love the chance to get a horror film produced, I have the idea for it, but..... I have no money.

I would love the chance to get a horror film produced, I have the idea for it, but..... I have no money.

Horror movies nowadays leave very little to the imagination which IMO takes what makes a good horror film away.

You don't have to see the blood, guts and gore to be scared shytless.

there you go, you don't need to worry about gory effects.

on a tangent, Christian Bale insisted that the script for the new Terminator film relies on character and not cgi so that it could be performed on a stage. it just shows that its all about good ideas and good characters. and to be creepy it just needs to be well shot and cut, and not seeing whats happening but using good sound effects is often more effective, as saintlard points out.

funny games is one of the most disturbing things i've ever seen, and its because the bad things are happening just out of shot or in the next room.

then again, really good visual effects (like the fire extinguisher bit in Irreversible) can still leave me reeling occasionally.

and once in a while you get great characters, a great story and amazing special effects all rolled in together, like in The Fly.

I must admit i'm looking forward to the new Friday 13th remake i have always liked the early films in this series,and it sound like the way the first 3 films are going to be rolled into this one film will provide a decent structure to it.Of course it could be shockingly bad but i wont care having grown up on 80's slasher films.

Not sure what to make of the idea of Nightmare on elm street remake without Robert Englund playing Freddie,he made that part his own.

• 1 month later...
I must admit i'm looking forward to the new Friday 13th remake i have always liked the early films in this series,and it sound like the way the first 3 films are going to be rolled into this one film will provide a decent structure to it.Of course it could be shockingly bad but i wont care having grown up on 80's slasher films.

Not sure what to make of the idea of Nightmare on elm street remake without Robert Englund playing Freddie,he made that part his own.

Bet you were dissapointed there then.