Saints v Exeter City: npower League 1 (KO: 15:00) - Preview
Southampton will be looking to make it a second consecutive win at home on New Year’s Day when Exeter City come to St. Mary’s.
Nigel Adkins’ side have the opportunity to move up to second place in the league with a win and other results going Saints’ way. 10th placed Exeter should provide difficult opposition, a recent 5-1 win at home to Sheffield Wednesday highlighting the danger they possess.
Fraizer Richardson may start ahead of Danny Butterfield who picked up a dead leg in Saturday’s 4-1 win over Huddersfield, while new-signing Richard Chaplow may be rewarded with a starting place after scoring Southampton’s fourth goal.
Lee Barnard may also feature after fully recovering from injury, although Guly Do Prado will most likely remain in the starting XI after setting up two of the four goals scored in Saturday's victory.
Team News: Lee Barnard is now fully fit according to Nigel Adkins, while Danny Butterfield could sit-out.
Doubts: Danny Butterfield (dead leg)
Players Out: Lee Holmes (ankle)
• Rickie Lambert, who scored his first goal in seven games against Huddersfield, has had more shots than any other player this season in npower League 1: 29 on target, 29 off target and hitting the woodwork five times.
• Lambert’s equaliser against Huddersfield was his 40th goal scored for Southampton in all competitions.
• The Grecians have lost six of their 11 away games this season.
• City have collected 10 points from their last six games.
• Paul Tisdale’s side have the second best discipline record in the division, behind Rochdale.
• The Devon side have only kept three clean sheets all season.