Le Tiss offers his services to England

Colinjb

Ditto. I remember Hoddle, among other England managers, saying that England could really not practice penalties as it is not possible to recreate the pressure / atmosphere of a major tournament.

Utter cr*p. If you have some players who, in a training situation, are not able to belt it into the top or bottom corner time and time and time again, then they need to be taught how to do this (by MLT). If they still fail, then dont ever choose them.

Granted in tournaments, the pressure is much greater, but MLT can teach people to shut that out and just do what they have done hundreds of times in practice. Other nations do it!

If England want a penalty coach then I assume they'll ask Shearer. He has coaching qualifications, has scored 54 penalties (including some for England) and knows about pressure in major international tournament.

MLT is just not in the same league on the international scene.

Agree that dealing with that pressurised situation will be key but do you think that side of it can be taught ? as posted re earlier Hoddles quote, remember that at the time and there was mention of doing this practice after a game when a large percentage of the crowd would remain to see it and actually involve them in the process by attempting to intimidate, put off etc...

Agree that dealing with that pressurised situation will be key but do you think that side of it can be taught ? as posted re earlier Hoddles quote, remember that at the time and there was mention of doing this practice after a game when a large percentage of the crowd would remain to see it and actually involve them in the process by attempting to intimidate, put off etc...

I just can't see that England would employ a man with no coaching qualifications and just a handful of England games to his name to coach players who are by far his superiors .Do you think Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard are going to take any notice of an international non-entity like MLT? Those guys have actually scored penalties for England, they don't want some also ran telling them how to suck eggs.The 22 for the WC will be composed of seasoned internationals, some of them with nigh on 100 caps to their name, MLT is just an also ran in that company.

If England want a penalty coach then I assume they'll ask Shearer. He has coaching qualifications, has scored 54 penalties (including some for England) and knows about pressure in major international tournament.

Who took penalties when Le Tiss and Shearer were in the same side? and Why?

As Penalty coach.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5757571,00.html

His technique of practising Pens was very interesting, as is his admission of being 'tight.'

I know some people will say that I'm bragging (and I am), but it's the truth !

In Spring 2002, shortly after Sven-Göran Eriksson took up the England job, he was in Stockholm doing a PR "thing" for a CD set of classical music (which I also like). I thought it would be interesting to see him at close quarters, and as I was working in the vicinity I went along to the store where he was doing the autograph signings and found a place in the queue.

I have to admit that I was also going to put in a cheap plug for the " Bridge and Beattie for England campaign " that many Saints fans had at the time. When it got to my turn, I took a few extra moments to inform him that England had gone out of big competitions TOO MANY times in the past - because of our inability to find 5 players capable of scoring from the spot.

He gave me a shocked look, and asked, " Is that really so ..? "

I assured him it was, and he shook my hand again and thanked me for the tip.

Some time later, when interviewed on TV, he said that England players would be doing extra training in penalty-taking. (Of course I didn't expect to get credit for the tip, and for once... England didn't have to face the problem in THAT World Cup).

Now, I don't know if I'm likely to meet Fabio Capello soon ..but if I do .....!!

**btw... Svennis' CD set was a great buy, and I still listen to it regularly.

The profits from the sales of (said CD) ...went to the Swedish FA's Youth Development Scheme.

Someone get him to put forward the idea Southampton should still get a chance to bid for chr1st sake. Did Maggie Thatcher really beat it out of us so much that we can't fight to the death for this., Nearly 4000 have joined the fb group, if enough publicity was generated, ie by getting MLT/Shearer/Channon/Keegan who all talk to each other, then we could get something going. We should be knocking down the doors of the FA to get this opportunity to bid at least. It won't happen again in our lifetimes, that's for sure. So stand up and fight and get everyone you know on fb to join the group .....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=186024573174&ref=ts

and someone get those metioned above to open their mouths. There's enough on here that claim direct access to the stars or through their brothers, milkman's son in law

As Penalty coach.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5757571,00.html

His technique of practising Pens was very interesting, as is his admission of being 'tight.'

You know that sounds like a good idea..

MLT for penalty training, maybe also David Beckham for free kicks....

and Rio Ferdinand for .back passing:(,(or David James on taking crosses.:mad:

well, maybe not then ..lets leave it to MLT role at present. ;)

Originally Posted by Window Cleaner viewpost.gif

Who took penalties when Le Tiss and Shearer were in the same side? and Why?

There is little doubt in my mind that MLT is the superior penalty taker over Shearer, but I am pretty sure it would be Shearer I would pick to do the training. Many times MLT would not be looking at the ball but at the goalie, something the vast majority of even good players cannot do. And Matty would then just strike through the ball or open / close the angle of his foot in reaction to the goalies movements. An absolutely suberb talent but I cannot remember any that played with him copy his style, it was just too difficult for them. That said he should still have a wealth of information to pass on.

There is little doubt in my mind that MLT is the superior penalty taker over Shearer, but I am pretty sure it would be Shearer I would pick to do the training. Many times MLT would not be looking at the ball but at the goalie, something the vast majority of even good players cannot do. And Matty would then just strike through the ball or open / close the angle of his foot in reaction to the goalies movements. An absolutely suberb talent but I cannot remember any that played with him copy his style, it was just too difficult for them. That said he should still have a wealth of information to pass on.

I reiterate, what would count against him is his complete lack of major international tournament experience.I'm sure you could find some Jimmy from the Commercial House League who's never missed a penalty either, but to pass on his "talents" to an experienced pro who's been there and done that and who's trying to score from 12 yards to put his country in the WC final in front of 100K is something completely different.

Zidane only missed 1 penalty in his career, because he slipped in a friendly against China in 2006, but I don't think there's any question about him being given an offical role to tell Thierry Henry how to score from 12 yrds.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I took a few extra moments to inform him that England had gone out of big competitions TOO MANY times in the past - because of our inability to find 5 players capable of scoring from the spot.

Good post. However, seeing the description of his 'shocked look' makes me wish I was there to smack the gormless bastard in the mouth. Surely someone paid as much as he was would not have to be informed of such a statistic? Or was he simply being sarcastic? Either way, the image of him looking all gobsmacked really irritates me.

Did he ever get through a penalty shoot out when he was managing England? I remember a lot of missed penalties during his time.

I think they should get David Peach to coach the England team at taking penalties.

Certainly scored a lot of goals for a full back, couldn't say how many were penalties though.Probably scored about 70 goals in his career, once held the goalscoring record for a full back-which he obtained from a penalty against Utd--I think.

Goalkeepers have moved on since then though. At one time there were relatively few penalty saves, now it's about one in 4 or something like that.Not surprising with all these 6ft 6 + keepers with reaction times which would shame Usain Bolt.

I reiterate, what would count against him is his complete lack of major international tournament experience.I'm sure you could find some Jimmy from the Commercial House League who's never missed a penalty either, but to pass on his "talents" to an experienced pro who's been there and done that and who's trying to score from 12 yards to put his country in the WC final in front of 100K is something completely different.

Zidane only missed 1 penalty in his career, because he slipped in a friendly against China in 2006, but I don't think there's any question about him being given an offical role to tell Thierry Henry how to score from 12 yrds.

The pressure is different but it's about technique, which is the same wether you are in front of 20,000 or 100,000. If Le Tiss could teach his penalty taking technique (and regardless of caps he was better than Shearer at penalties) to the England side then the team could possibly be better off for it.

Pressure can be coached. There is a reason Tiger can sink a putt in major after major. It's because he could sink it with his eyes shut whether he was playing me for fun or you for the Open... Get the technique right, then get your mind right. How else do you train a soldier to react under fire? Practice makes perfect. Matt could train striking technique, a decent coach can train mental stength.

You are right - he was in a league of his own when it came to penalty taking.

I don't believe the pressure of scoring in an international is any more pressure than knowing that if you miss your team can be relegated.

Edited by St_Tel49

Pressure can be coached. There is a reason Tiger can sink a putt in major after major. It's because he could sink it with his eyes shut whether he was playing me for fun or you for the Open... Get the technique right, then get your mind right. How else do you train a soldier to react under fire? Practice makes perfect. Matt could train striking technique, a decent coach can train mental stength.

It's sinking his balls with his eyes shut, that's got him into all this trouble

Because he was never given the ****ing chance! One of the greatest talents ever produced and completely wasted because of venables love for sick note.... still a ****ing disgrace!!:x

Certainly scored a lot of goals for a full back, couldn't say how many were penalties though.Probably scored about 70 goals in his career, once held the goalscoring record for a full back-which he obtained from a penalty against Utd--I think.

Goalkeepers have moved on since then though. At one time there were relatively few penalty saves, now it's about one in 4 or something like that.Not surprising with all these 6ft 6 + keepers with reaction times which would shame Usain Bolt.

David Peach played 1974-80.(mostly at left back.

In 278 games he scored 44 goals. He was the regular penalty taker, but scored quite a few from outfield while playing in various other positions.

I think around 20 +/- were penalties, but his 34 goals are a league record for a full back.

However, MLT's record is a League record for most of the most pens. 48/49

Main reason for more saves is because keepers are allowed to move nowadays. In Peach's day keepers were strictly not allowed to move until the ball was kicked.

Not sure how many of his goals were pens but it was a large proportion of them, as far as I know he never missed one for Saints.

Good post. However, seeing the description of his 'shocked look' makes me wish I was there to smack the gormless bastard in the mouth. Surely someone paid as much as he was would not have to be informed of such a statistic? Or was he simply being sarcastic? Either way, the image of him looking all gobsmacked really irritates me.

Did he ever get through a penalty shoot out when he was managing England? I remember a lot of missed penalties during his time.

Don't know if I'd have chosen another word instead.(?)

As I recall, there were some raised eyebrows and a look of real disbelief on his face.

Makes you wonder if anyone had informed him about our disasterous past ?

He was fairly new at the time and obviously few people outside of England remember such occurances.(1990-98)

I think the only penalty shoot-out that England have ever won was against Spain in Euro 96 (in the quarter finals - before losing on pens to Germany in the semis). Venables was in charge at that time.

When it got to my turn, I took a few extra moments to inform him that England had gone out of big competitions TOO MANY times in the past - because of our inability to find 5 players capable of scoring from the spot.

I assured him it was, and he shook my hand again and thanked me for the tip.

In Spring 2002 Sven would have been England manager for what, a year and a bit, fifteen months. So why would he be "shocked" say "is that really so" to some bloke telling him England aren't very good at penalty shootouts? He'd know.

Every single interviewer and press conference from the minute he was appointed would have mentioned penalties, especially as "spring 2002" would have been the lead in to his first major tournament.

You were hardly offering sparkling insight.

Christ.

But he was able to coach Beattie and Crouch.

Don't know why England haven't come to him, either now, or in the past, rather than him having to offer. He's the best penalty taker there has ever been. It's a no brainer. Le Tiss mentored Beatts on penalties. Care to look up how many he has missed..?

I know why they haven't; because when it comes to penalties most of England's managers were morons: "Penalties are a lottery," "You can't recreate the pressure," etc. etc. Stuart Pearce has learned from playing under these idiots (and missing a vital penalty himself), so for England's U21s he takes penalties seriously. Hopefully he can pass this on to Capello.

If England get knocked out by penalties again (especially against the Germans or Portuguese) I think my TV will be flying out of the window.

Despite what MLT says I fail to see how he could be a brilliant penalty coach.

I suppose he could be hired for the role and if England's players hit 4 out of 5 consistently (as they should) he could be considered worthwhile. Otherwise, and in the heat of penalty shootouts, not sure he can offer much to any player who doesn't have the same accuracy or mindset anyway. How is he capable of coaching less able players to hit low corners in high pressure environments?

Edited by TopGun

Despite what MLT says I fail to see how he could be a brilliant penalty coach.

I suppose he could be hired for the role and if England's players hit 4 out of 5 consistently (as they should) he could be considered worthwhile. Otherwise, and in the heat of penalty shootouts, not sure he can offer much to any player who doesn't have the same accuracy or mindset anyway. How is he capable of coaching less able players to hit low corners in high pressure environments?

Quite.

At the end of the day Capello is one of the world's great football managers with his own hand picked team around him. If he needs Le Tiss he'll call him, but I doubt he does.

Funny how it's the good penalty takers that practice over and over, and the idiots that say you can't practice them. No, you can't recreate the pressure, but that goes for every aspect of training.

Hate to use a golf quote by Gary Player said something like 'the more I practice the luckier I get'.

Why would England want to employ MLT and why would MLT want to be a coach after some of his comments in his book about his attitude towards coaching/advice? In his book both sides of the equation suggest that MLT's work rate was hardly prolific and reading Shearer's and Branfoot's comments you hardly get a glowing reference for a hard working coach in Capello's mould

He would hardly be frst choice for Capello now as a player even in his heyday with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Hargreaves, Barry et al as midfield options and plenty of pace and ability upfront. Perhaps MLT would be a good goalkeeper in that team (the one area of relative weakness) assuming if he scores them so easily he should be able to guess the right way just as successfully.

This surely is no more than a bit of undeserved positive PR courtesy of a radio station so trashy amd low brow it gives Jeremy Kyle a weekend slot. As Window Cleaner has already mentioned what are today's International's going to get from MLT that they cannot already be provided by the existing England set up? MLT's lack of international experience is one thing but for me the players would hold little respect and interest in his advice for two reasons.

1. His lack of personal ambition and drive during his own playing career. Personally, I think you can forgive anyone for a lack of, or a waste of talent but a lack of effort is an insult to your colleagues and proffession.

2. ..........................................................................(Fill in the blanks)

Coach England penalties or another agenda entirely?

I just can't see that England would employ a man with no coaching qualifications and just a handful of England games to his name to coach players who are by far his superiors .Do you think Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard are going to take any notice of an international non-entity like MLT? Those guys have actually scored penalties for England, they don't want some also ran telling them how to suck eggs.The 22 for the WC will be composed of seasoned internationals, some of them with nigh on 100 caps to their name, MLT is just an also ran in that company.

What a load of garbage.

Was Benitez a better player than Gerrard?

Were Mourinho, Huddink, Ancellotti better players than Lampard?

You do those players a great disservice by suggesting they don't have the humility and respect to give credence to a coach that Capello decides to put in front of them regardless of how good that coach was as a player.

Why would England want to employ MLT and why would MLT want to be a coach after some of his comments in his book about his attitude towards coaching/advice? In his book both sides of the equation suggest that MLT's work rate was hardly prolific

Didn't he used to spend hours after training practicing penalties and free kicks?

David Peach played 1974-80.(mostly at left back.

In 278 games he scored 44 goals. He was the regular penalty taker, but scored quite a few from outfield while playing in various other positions.

I think around 20 +/- were penalties, but his 34 goals are a league record for a full back.

However, MLT's record is a League record for most of the most pens. 48/49

He scored a lot of goals at wherever he came from though.I'm not even sure he took penalties before he was at Saints,perhaps he wasn't a full back before

he came to SFC though.

What a load of garbage.

Was Benitez a better player than Gerrard?

Were Mourinho, Huddink, Ancellotti better players than Lampard?

You do those players a great disservice by suggesting they don't have the humility and respect to give credence to a coach that Capello decides to put in front of them regardless of how good that coach was as a player.

Question is then Benji would Capello have the respect for Le Tissier to put him in front of his players as a credible coach with outstanding credentials. Its not about talent its about effort, work rate making the best of what you have something that many believe Le Tissier failed himself on. Capello and his players may have an issue on that score and it's why talented players respect managers and coaches with less lofty playing talents but with intelligence, insight, work rate and drive to be the best.

Question is then Benji would Capello have the respect for Le Tissier to put him in front of his players as a credible coach with outstanding credentials. Its not about talent its about effort, work rate making the best of what you have something that many believe Le Tissier failed himself on. Capello and his players may have an issue on that score and it's why talented players respect managers and coaches with less lofty playing talents but with intelligence, insight, work rate and drive to be the best.

I have absolutely no doubt that Fabio Capello has no intention whatsoever of appointing Matt Le Tissier as a coach.

However, I also have no doubt that if he did appoint a penalty coach, the criteria would be "someone very good at penalties and able to impart some wisdom" not "someone with loads of caps who has a comparable itnernational career to the most high profile players in the England squad".

I have absolutely no doubt that Fabio Capello has no intention whatsoever of appointing Matt Le Tissier as a coach.

However, I also have no doubt that if he did appoint a penalty coach, the criteria would be "someone very good at penalties and able to impart some wisdom" not "someone with loads of caps who has a comparable itnernational career to the most high profile players in the England squad".

Agreed but over and above both of those is the talents that make a brilliant coach, regardless of caps or talent and in this instance i would suggest it's more a job for a Sports Psychologist anyway than an ex player with a questionable attitude.

Its all about coping with extreme pressure and MLT never experienced that level of pressure or I assaume has the training and qualifications to help with mind games that must go on in a players head as they make that long walk.

Despite his record he is simply not qualified and IMO it was a PR stunt to help overcome the recent shadow on his media career with some positive news.