Schneiderlin - Saints Biggest Waste of Cash Ever?

Arizona

Who Would You Rather Have in the Team Next Season  

574 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Rather Have in the Team Next Season

• Schneiderlin
    • Wotton

Okay, he is up against some pretty stiff competition. Delgado of course costing about £3m for about 3 games in 3 years. Jelle van Damme and David Prutton weren't the best players we've spent £2.5m each on and we spent way over the odds signing Darren Powell on a free transfer.

But £1.2m (Yes everyone claims to be ITK about various aspects and how we "only" paid £600k up front etc) on an unproven French teenager, for a bankrupt club like Saints? I just do not get it.

I don't want to write off a teenager, but lets take a peak at this seasons stats:

Appearances - 33 (25 starts 8 sub)

Goals - 0

Assists - 0

Shots on target - 4

Shots off target - 12

Headers won - 1

That is absolutely f**king appaling, and he doesn't track back or tackle either. And he seems to have a worrying injury record.

Today he just couldn't have looked less interested. Never put his foot in, never had a shot, made a run. Always played the obvious pass, never tried anything special, didn't track back and defend.

Spending £1.2m on a player for Saints this season, would have been like spending £10m after the cup final IMO. The sooner Arsenal sign him the better.

Appearances - 33 (25 starts 8 sub)

Goals - 0

Assists - 0

Shots on target - 4

Shots off target - 12

Headers won - 1

Young Morgan has equal and/or better stats than Kelvin on 5 out of 6 of these points. Schnederlin is player of the season IMO. The stats don't lie.

Agreed. and if we hadn't have bought him, we may not have gone into admin this season :/

Totally agree, a truly awful waste of money

I think he's got talent, but lacks the heart & fighting spirit to make him the top player he thinks he is

If his transfer fee can let us to keep Stern John or Rasiak, then it can be the wrong decision. He can be a very good player in League 1, everyone knows he is better than Wotton. Gillet and him can be the key in our midfield next season.

Perhaps spending £1.2m on Pearson's wages would have been a better investment, but of course that wasn't part of the revolutionary masterplan was it...

Still, Lowe's 'genius' is there for all to see now - relegation, and administration. Job done.

Tbh this season has been one of the worst seasons for signings, Schneiderlin, Smith, Gasmi, Pulis, Pekhart and Molyneux.

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys!

If we had not signed any of them and kept Stern John or even possibly Rasiak or Sagga for the whole season then I feel we would not be in league 1 now.

Of all the early season young signings hardly any of them have contributed anything and we would have been better served by playing our own players be they fringe or youngsters.

Give me Wotton over Schneiderlin every time. It is no good if you have the ability but no heart, drive or passion for the game. These qualities go a long way in league 1 and Wotton has them all!

Schneiderlin worst signing since that huge disappointment Skacel. Good riddance to both I hope!

1.2m euros for Schneiderlin is a much worse waste than Delgado, considering the position we were in.

Lowe thought he was being clever and getting an investment but he's just lumbered us with an useless, uninterested french kid worth nothing.

1.2m euros for Schneiderlin is a much worse waste than Delgado, considering the position we were in.

Lowe thought he was being clever and getting an investment but he's just lumbered us with an useless, uninterested french kid worth nothing.

Another Rupert knows best signing.

According to the Saints programme earlier in the season, the fee was £1.2m. Still suppose you should always take what the club says with a pinch of salt.

He certainly looked OK at the start of the season, as did some of the other youungsters, but has been disappointing over the full term

Didn't the great Georges Prost recommended this player to us ? - Generally a good judge of a young talent but you can't win 'em all I suppose .

I didn't realise Georges Prost was our manager!

Wether Shneiderlin turns out to be a good player in 2,3, 5 or whatever years is completely irrelevant. Georges Prost may prove to be right.

The only important fact is that this seasons squad needed a player like Scheiderlin like a hole in the head, any half decent manager could have seen that. Rupert knows best tho.

I didn't realise Georges Prost was our manager!

Wether Shneiderlin turns out to be a good player in 2,3, 5 or whatever years is completely irrelevant. Georges Prost may prove to be right.

The only important fact is that this seasons squad needed a player like Scheiderlin like a hole in the head, any half decent manager could have seen that. Rupert knows best tho.

That's was part of the problem wasn't it ? We haven't had a 'Manager' all season just a Head Coach(s) whose responsibilities don't stretch as far as signing players apparently . Who'd have thought that system wouldn't work in the CCC .....oh yes it was us wasn't it .

I spent about 20 minutes of one game, (can't remember which one) watching him closely.

Everything passed him by. Looked bored and uninterested. no attempt to chase 50/50's.

He does have talent, just hope someone else thinks so and we make some cash back.

I spent about 20 minutes of one game, (can't remember which one) watching him closely.

Everything passed him by. Looked bored and uninterested. no attempt to chase 50/50's.

He does have talent, just hope someone else thinks so and we make some cash back.

or as I say a manager with an ounce of commitment is able to lead him.

According to the Saints programme earlier in the season, the fee was £1.2m. Still suppose you should always take what the club says with a pinch of salt.

He certainly looked OK at the start of the season, as did some of the other youungsters, but has been disappointing over the full term

Very poor at Exeter playing Centre Half....Could not head the ball and definitely could not tackle..Changed with Wotton and Spiderman marginally better on the ball in centre mid field but still bullied and frightened of the opposition...

James when I saw him the year before at Exeter and in the reserves was a much better centre mid field.....Then again some say Spiderman will improve

in a better side......Lost his way from a poor start.

Added a rather hypothetical pole to make things sporting.

I went for Wotton. He's an old clogger and it's uncannily like watching Jermaine Wright, but at least he can influence a game. Basically I've gone for crap over not giving a sh*t.

I suspect that there is a lot about that deal that we don't know about.

Was it not around the time that we 'settled' with Arsenal for the balance of the Walcott money?

No, that was a few months before, under Crouch's chairmanship I think. It was criticised by Lowe and given as one of the 'reasons' why the club 'needed' him back at the helm this season.

Schneiderlin can control a ball and pass but hasn't got his socks dirty all season. Wotton hoofs at every opportunity, chases shadows and fouls people. Gee we are spoilt for choice.

to me i think we have wasted him by not playing him in the hole.

he reminds me of a kind of riquelme player obviously without the goals so far but thats due to him playing def mid all season. also the stats are a bit ****** for him but i bet if you had the stats for his pass completion percentage ud see him in a more favourable light as thats what his game is about he is a great passer of the ball

Jeez.

We're ****ed, may not have a club next season, and you guys are still ****ing and *****ing about individual players' performances this season.

Does it really matter?

Let's get on with it and look forward to Yeovil.

Considering the fragile position we were in on and off the pitch then Shcneiderlin's signing would appear to have been very poor value for money. In this instance it was the context of the signing that caused a stir.

Throw in the fact that our Head Coach didn't appear to have signed him and never saw him play, then you do start scratching your head about just what was going on.

But we have also had many duffers in the past.

Speedie and Dixon in return for Shearer still makes me cringe. We then had a rash of players who IMHO never delivered e.g Ripley £2.5m!!, Howells (big wages) , Hughes (wages), Groves, Hirst £2m.

Have we had more than our fair share?? Have we always seemed to buy many at mid range prices that then don't deliver?? Or are we exactly the same as many other clubs out there??

Arsenal paid for most of his fee so don't worry about it.

(Would prefer Wotton in League One)

IF that is true then I still would worry about it.

Imagine the Arsenal chariman coming up to you and said, "what would you prefer, the cash we owed you for the Walcott deal, or this unproven French teenager?"

Considering the fragile position we were in on and off the pitch then Shcneiderlin's signing would appear to have been very poor value for money. In this instance it was the context of the signing that caused a stir.

Throw in the fact that our Head Coach didn't appear to have signed him and never saw him play, then you do start scratching your head about just what was going on.

But we have also had many duffers in the past.

Speedie and Dixon in return for Shearer still makes me cringe. We then had a rash of players who IMHO never delivered e.g Ripley £2.5m!!, Howells (big wages) , Hughes (wages), Groves, Hirst £2m.

Have we had more than our fair share?? Have we always seemed to buy many at mid range prices that then don't deliver?? Or are we exactly the same as many other clubs out there??

My argument isn't that he is the worst player that we've spent the most money on. More the fact that his transfer fee, with regards to our current financial situation is absolutely massive.

£2m isn't going to send a Prem team into administration, but £1.2m (or the £600k upfront, or whatever it works out as) may well have done the trick here.

IF that is true then I still would worry about it.

Imagine the Arsenal chariman coming up to you and said, "what would you prefer, the cash we owed you for the Walcott deal, or this unproven French teenager?"

At the time, and if it was on Arsene Wenger's recommendation (who when it comes to spotting potential is the best around) I would probably have gone with the French teenager.

Shame it hasn't worked out for him but he's still young and will probably go on to fulfill his undoubted potential elsewhere.

My argument isn't that he is the worst player that we've spent the most money on. More the fact that his transfer fee, with regards to our current financial situation is absolutely massive.

£2m isn't going to send a Prem team into administration, but £1.2m (or the £600k upfront, or whatever it works out as) may well have done the trick here.

I agree wholeheartedly and as you say £1.2m for an unproven youngster who the Head Coach has not seen at a time when we're up against it financially does look bonkers.

Throw in the fact that we needed strong experienced players as we already had our ful quota of youngsters and it starts to look terrible.

For all those who say we were skint and had no options/choice, the simple reply is Poortvliet and Schneiderlin, because in them we made two very, very, very poor decisions that ultimately have cost us big time.