And the players thought his requests absurd

It looked like Cala would be their man

With his whacky underwater plan,

But alas no, it was not he

That could resurrect old portsea

That just left Chinny to take the reigns

But the pst have a bid to feign.

The race is on, but who will win

The smart money thought it was old portpin.

But what looked straight forward was soon to change

When the football league, found their range.

To prove they were all worthy men

They hit the skates with minus ten

Another twist was still to come

As the pst only went and won

Selling things that looked like shares

They took the club and had no cares.

Perhaps it was not as quite first thought

As the HNW's filled the board

The 60% was no more

And the new pitch reduced it even more.

With Tesco's there to save the day

The harbourdrome's not far away.

Although the building work is yet start.

At least they got a new car park

It's down to Awfs now to take them up

And all they'll need is a little luck.

If only other teams could stop,

treating every game as the FA cup

Top nutjobbery.

For those with a POL log in a really excellent post from one of the blue few http://www.pompeyonline.com/forums/index.php?threads/history-is-just-that.68282/ I'llcopy some here though

People talk a lot about History. I've seen a lot of Pompey history, went to every home game in our two Division 1 title winning years. Saw us lose the 1949 Semi Final at Highbury against Leicester City. At Fratton Park I've seen Matthews, Mortenson, Frank Swift, Len Shackleton, Tommy Lawton and so many more. Saw us win promotion from Divs 4,3,2 and Championship. Saw Wembley Semis and Finals in recent years.

Funny how nobody ever mentions the 1934 FA Cup Final, we lost to Man City, or even the 1939 Final, we beat Wolves 4-1 (there's that score again). I think nobody mentions it is because those that saw it are all gone. In a few more years those of us that saw Froggatt, Harris, Dickinson et al will be gone too. History is like smoke and gradually blows away in the wind until it is forgotten and becomes irrelevent. Today's fans history is probably about the 80s and onward with 60s and 70's only in the memories of a diminshing few.

So why all this banging on about 'our history' as though it has some meaning in the present. We all feel pride at surviving/winning two World Wars but wars/battles like Crimea, Trafalgar, Waterloo etc. have slipped away into the past and have little place in our thoughts today.

It's 2015, we're in Division 4, Saints are in Division 1, we're struggling, they're going well. Who gives a sh*t?

My six grandchildren are all under eight, and do you think any of them will care about 2015 when they are following Pompey in thirty years time. Perhaps Saints will be in Div 4 and us in Div 1. Does it matter? of couse not, what matters is how Pompey get on next Saturday against Southend and then the week after that. Now is what matters, yesterday has gone, and who knows what the future may bring?

History, PAH!!

reply below

You provide comments to warm the hearts of Scumpton supporters. I can't and wouldn't do that.

In my view you are totally wrong. The reason why for example Liverpool are Liverpool- their appeal, their status, their identity- is because their past, of Shankly and Paisley, et al, defines them. They are who they are because of their history. If anything our club has underplayed the greatness of its history. Very few, probably hardly any, of our youngest fans or indeed young Portsmouth residents know of those two top-flight titles.

response below

Liverpool are a high status club because of their 'recent' results not because of Shankly. It's because they have been well managed, well supprted and well financed. Other famous clubs who were Liverpool's equals not so many years ago, PNE, Huddersfield, Blackpool have faded from the scene despite their so called history. Money is the guarantor of success, Saints and the German billionaire are a typical example, they have little history but are currently successful. When I was a nipper Chelsea were nothing special with no history as I remember, but the arrival of the rich Russian has changed and all that and his millions have bought them a history. Maybe Saints are about to buy some history which will make them appear to be a 'big' club.

But all of that is smoke and mirrors and is imo totally meaningless. What matters is who your club are, why you chose them and how they are doing week to week. A defeat is not easier to bear because your team won the FA Cup in 1931. Winning the Village League is just as exciting for Yokel Utd as winning Lg2 would be for Pompey right now.

Going to the game, meeting your mates, having a beer is just as important to Anyteam Rovers fans as those following the team at the top of the Premiership.

Thats my view and I am not going to let Saints beating Man Utd away ruin my week.

The second guy makes a lot of sense. But sadly the middle guy is how the majority of them think.

All they have to feel positive about is the memories of days gone by. Days which were over 60 years ago. The here and now is more important and as someone once said you are only as good as your league position.

The only stat they need to care about imo is since 1992 we have played 604 top flight games. They have played 266. We are pretty much guaranteed to put another 50 to that list whilst they will be very fortunate to add to theirs within the next decade.

What the NEW training facilities? The facilities that they crowdsourced £250k for (ok there seemed to be a dodgy £50k donation on the last day and coincidentally at about teenage time PST holding dipped under the magic 50%). The facilities that the players painted in exchange for pizza? Who would have thought they would be crap.

Heard one of their players moaning about the state of their new training facilities on Radio Solent this morning, apparently the pitches are waterlogged and they've been on astro turf, which 4 or 5 of the squad cant train on due to aids or something, so they've been stuck in a gym for the past week.....

Should be perfect practice for playing on the Nottarf Krap pitch at this time of year then

article-2472991-18E9D1F300000578-66_964x656.jpg

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-still-plagued-by-pitch-problems-1-6533535

‘During the process we consulted one of the most respected pitch experts in the business on the work required – a company used by many of the top clubs up and down the country. But despite that,

as anyone can see, the pitch

is not acceptable. It is not right.

I can't work out if he's doing this sentence splitting malarkey on purpose, in homage to this thread, or whether he's simply a poor journalist. Tricky one.

Edited by trousers

Money is the guarantor of success, Saints and the German billionaire are a typical example, they have little history but are currently successful. When I was a nipper Chelsea were nothing special with no history as I remember, but the arrival of the rich Russian has changed and all that and his millions have bought them a history. Maybe Saints are about to buy some history which will make them appear to be a 'big' club. But all of that is smoke and mirrors and is imo totally meaningless.

Wait, so they DON'T want that 2008 FA Cup win now? Or is he saying that the money they never had and spent should have bought them more of a history? :mcinnes:

It's clearly the club that foots the bill here, they were advised that double drainage wasn't necessary so they went with the cheap option.

They were never guaranteed that one was enough, just advised.

So begging buckets will be coming out soon .

So who are we going to collectively vote for? Don't want to spread out the votes.

I assume neither PFC or the PST has released audited accounts yet, still?

Shhhhh. It's a case of ignore it and it'll go away.

With those other deserving nominees you know that the prize will go to the actual community project named,

where as if Pompey win the prize will be diverted away to re-paint the car park or the fence at the training ground.

Or a really, really big sponge

The Deloitte rich list has us as the 25th richest football club in the universe. How I do wish we weren't, and that our players were paid in pizza for fixing up the changing rooms. When my son was watching us beat Man U the other day, the first thing he said was, "why can't we be more like Pompey daddy, and lose to Newport?"

I guess the real problem they will have is when the current young fans get to an age where they see their mates supporting Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal or even Saints, and wonder why they have been forced to follow some club that is never on the telly and has no relevance to the game.

They now have ten-year-olds with no memory of anything other than relegation, and no matter how the older few kid themselves about glorious history, they won't keep a child happy just with stories of the olden days.

Their hardcore of support is the dinosaur element, of a certain age, but without a massive change in fortunes they will lose their next generation of supporters, in much the same way as we lost a few in the last decade and have gained a few since.

So I reckon the fatty streets of Fratton will soon be awash with the blue shirts - of Chelsea and Man City.

Their history was wiped out along with their debt.

Try telling that to Phil Brown...

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/phil-brown-southend-united-portsmouth-preview-manager-2219512.aspx

Brown is aiming for Southend to continue their good form in Sky Bet League Two when they travel south to take on Portsmouth – a club Brown describes as 'giants' - at Fratton Park

“They're massive, and real giants in terms of the levels of support, the stadium and the history."

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. The BESTEST training facilities in the world...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30938736?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Portsmouth midfielder James Dunne says he has been frustrated after the club's waterlogged pitches meant he had to train in the gym.

Dunne, 25, had knee surgery earlier this season and cannot train on the 3G surface with the rest of the squad.

Team-mates Jack Whatmough, Adam Webster and Andy Barcham are also banned from using the artificial surface because of similar injury concerns.

"You want to be with the rest of the boys," he told BBC Radio Solent.

"We did some boxing on Tuesday, which was good fun, but it's better to be with the team.

"Nobody can help it but because the training pitch is waterlogged, some of us aren't able to train all week. We train once or twice and the rest of the time I'm in the gym.

"I've done my knee and for precaution, with the twisting and turning, we're not using the 3G so we don't make it worse."

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. The BESTEST training facilities in the world...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30938736?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Portsmouth midfielder James Dunne says he has been frustrated after the club's waterlogged pitches meant he had to train in the gym.

Dunne, 25, had knee surgery earlier this season and cannot train on the 3G surface with the rest of the squad.

Team-mates Jack Whatmough, Adam Webster and Andy Barcham are also banned from using the artificial surface because of similar injury concerns.

"You want to be with the rest of the boys," he told BBC Radio Solent.

"We did some boxing on Tuesday, which was good fun, but it's better to be with the team.

"Nobody can help it but because the training pitch is waterlogged, some of us aren't able to train all week. We train once or twice and the rest of the time I'm in the gym.

"I've done my knee and for precaution, with the twisting and turning, we're not using the 3G so we don't make it worse."

Er....yes you can help it. You fund a training ground with decent pitches with proper drainage or run the risk of them flooding like Riverside Park.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})