Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Ffs how?

I think it's some supporters direct thingy, so it's not for real football clubs.

Its aimed at clubs where the players are full-time postmen and bricklayers, and the owners and administrators own double glazing firms or used car showrooms.

I think it's some supporters direct thingy, so it's not for real football clubs.

Its aimed at clubs where the players are full-time postmen and bricklayers, and the owners and administrators own double glazing firms or used car showrooms.

Or have a property development businesses

Given that this thread seems to have picked up speed again, is there any danger of a millennium bug style crash when we finally hit page 2000?

If we are going to break the internet do I need to be stocking up on tinned food and ammunition?

I'm more worried about the collapse of the space-time continuum when the number of pages over takes the current year.... :)

I'm more worried about the collapse of the space-time continuum when the number of pages over takes the current year.... :)

We could have as-yet unborn (in our time) Saints fans, visiting us from the future to post on the year-of-birth page, with tales of administration number 19...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29699104

Even Dan Roan at the BBC falling for the spin now...

"The group will be chaired by Joanna Manning-Cooper, director of marketing and communications for the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England, a member of the Portsmouth Supporters Trust and a community shareholder in Portsmouth FC - the biggest supporter-owned club in the country."

Funny, I thought you needed to own more than 48% of something to own it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29699104

Even Dan Roan at the BBC falling for the spin now...

"The group will be chaired by Joanna Manning-Cooper, director of marketing and communications for the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England, a member of the Portsmouth Supporters Trust and a community shareholder in Portsmouth FC - the biggest supporter-owned club in the country."

Funny, I thought you needed to own more than 48% of something to own it.

How about ' supporter-conned'?

They may have equalised, but another sign (if one more was needed. OK it does) how low they have sunk, is that SSN haven't bothered to send a reporter there. Luton v Dagenham & Redbridge has one.

Unless, of course, the poor reporter can't get in the ground as its full again. That will be why.

" In an exclusive consultative online poll"

Wow, what an "exclusive" there for the club. Quite a coup for them securing rights to a vote on their own kit.... :mcinnes:

And why does Farmery keep referring to the fans as "fans"...sure he means "co-owners"...? One assumes all the "shareholders" got an equal say on the kit design shortlist....

Edited by trousers

Has no-one yet noticed that "it's only Bury", who the Skates lost to on the weekend, actually turned out to be quite crap after all, losing 5-0 to Shrewsbury last night.

That makes them 8-0 worse than Shrewsbury. Yet still a goal better than Stevenage.

I'm quite disappointed Saints only beat Stevenage 4-1 in the League Cup with most of the reserve team a couple of years ago now. :o

I'd hate to be one of the Low Net Worths this morning. I get the feeling it's all unravelling before their eyes and they are going to be left with a tin shed, an unsurfaced car park and a lower League 2 football club going nowhere.

Never mind, they've still got TCWTB.

Before us notjobs get too excited, can someone remind me how dependent Pompey's business model* is on the Tesco development going ahead? Genuine question as I've lost track of the various dependencies over the last year or so.

(* yes, I know...I used the words Pompey and Business Model in the same sentence. Apologies to anyone who is having difficulties in stopping laughing right now)

I would guess trousers, that Tesco's probably wont go ahead, but that another chain, would happily take their place.

As for how it would impact their business model, I'm guessing it just relates to improvements to fratton park. The new stands and expansion, IMO remain pie in the sky regardless of the Tesco money, but if they do get some money from any chain, it wouldn't be enough to do little more than put "lipstick on a pig".

As you know, trousers, in his new era of total transparency we know absolutely everything there is to know about their current finances, and their future plans.

So, and just educated guesswork here, but the know they were only getting tuppence ha'peny anyway from Robinson (and a bit of free land for car parking). Who knows (or cares) whether they will actually get the car park land, but my opinion is that they would have used the cash for repair and maintenance of "the Arena" so their cash flows will need to be amended a little bit, but nothing dramatic.

They would, of course, deny that in spin-speak, because they've convinced the few that there is a new megadrome coming along soon.

I would guess trousers, that Tesco's probably wont go ahead, but that another chain, would happily take their place.

I read an article last week talking about how shopping habits have changed dramatically in the past five tears. Far fewer people go to big stores for weekly shops and instead go to the small metro stores daily. As a result all the supermarket chains have scaled right back on traditional 'big box' stores. They will find it hard to get any tenant for a big supermarket as originally planned imo.

And whilst we're on the topic of clarifying stuff, can anyone tell me why the PFA still have 3 charges on the football club (according to http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/ ) when they've supposedly cleared all legacy debts...? Portsmouth City Council's and Southpoint Finance's charges were discharged last month, to coincide with the "Hoorah, we're debt free!" announcement, but the 3 PFA ones weren't...

Just curious.

WTF? The latest from Jordan Cross, Neil Allen's acolyte.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/basketcase-days-are-gone-so-embrace-stability-1-6372635

Lee Clark made the call to Andy Awford on Sunday.

The Birmingham boss, who was sacked 24 hours later, knew his fate was coming at St Andrews.

But he still found time to call his old pal, whose friendship, which stretches back to their England under-21 days, endures.

Awford had been plunged into what he himself described as ‘a difficult couple of days’ in the wake of the low watermark of the season at Bury.

Being buffeted by the winds along Southsea seafront in some last-ditch Great South Run training, allowed the Pompey boss the thinking time he needed in the wake of the Gigg Lane collapse.

It prompted some of the most significant surgery on his team in a season which has, rightly or wrongly, become associated with match-to-match change.

The faces contorted with anger who aimed their flak in the Pompey boss’ direction in the wake of Saturday’s defeat, were noted.

It followed the smattering of boos which peppered an overall mooted response from home fans in the face of the draw with Mansfield.

We are told there is no such thing as a must-win game, unless it’s a defining fixture. That’s exactly what the Stevenage clash felt like for a man going into his biggest game of the season, if not his time in the Fratton Park hotseat.

The average tenure for a manager in the Premier League now is less than two years, such is the crazy world of football.

Pressure for instant results and success create that stark raving bonkers pressure-cooker environment.

Tuesday’s meeting with Graham Westley’s side arrived seven months after Awford came into the job – and in his team’s 14th league game.

The axe fell on Guy Whittingham after 16 league fixtures with Richie Barker seen as the man to improve things. He made it to 20.

So the managerial turnaround hasn’t reflected the stability Pompey are now beginning to enjoy.

The hysterical catcalls from some supporters to results contributes to the heat rising.

Some older Pompey fans put it down to the generation who grew up watching Premier League football growing agitated.

Others would simply point to a poor run of results.

Whatever the contributing factors, the angst has been palpable.

The tirade Awford launched at the fourth official on Tuesday night, in the wake of a nip-and-tuck decision over Borough keeper Chris Day handling outside the area, said it all.

And, just as the apprehension was felt on Tuesday, so was the relief in the aftermath of victory.

This was about as typical an advert for League Two football as you will ever get. Pretty is was not.

But if ever a three points were more important than the spectacle for Awford, this was the time.

Mrs Awford tells her hubby his biggest strength is his biggest weakness: His confidence.

There’s a difference between confidence and arrogance, though.

Awford isn’t too arrogant to change things when needed.

Not all his predecessors can say the same thing.

A back-to-basics approach was borne out of a desire to ensure players were left in no uncertain terms about their duties. It worked.

It’s clear enough this is still a Pompey team in search of its identity, in a league where inconsistency is the one constant.

After a run of seven managers in five years, this club is no longer the ‘basket-case’ that stat was used to reinforce, though.

Clark’s former employers at St Andrews seem keen on that moniker these days.

It’s stability, in all areas, we need to embrace around these parts.

Edited by TopGun

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})