Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Aldershot and Maidstone haven't dropped far enough overall to be on that list, tbf. Aldershot were 16th in Division Four 30 years ago, they're now 12th in the league below, a drop of only 20 places. Maidstone were 17th in the Conference, they're now 4th in the National League South, a drop of 9 places. Obviously they've reformed, think only Wimbledon possibly should be on that list (5th in the old Division Two 30 years ago, finished 3rd to go up, now 14th in League Two, a drop of 57 places), but that would involve the Football League reminding everyone of the cluster**** they were involved in back in 2003.

I didn't mention any of them...

Stockport is the obvious one: 87th to 5th in Conf North putting them in 121st, a drop of 34 places which puts them level with Coventry on the sh1i1t list. Never been reformed, still the exact same entity.

Less clear cut...

Darlington 68th to the Northern League via a reformation

Hereford, (78th to Midland League) also via reformation

both listed as "N/A", as well as Wimbledon and Aldershot(!!!), but apparently being reformed doesn't exclude Halifax (down 24 to the Conference) or Newport (down 30 as they were relatively decent 1979-86 and gash at the moment).

So basically what they've said is that "you don't count any more if you're below the Conference". I dare say they'd argue that it takes too long to calculate once you get into regional divisions, but if they're going to do it, do it properly, and they're not even consistent with the teams they have listed as some have reformed and others are excluded for having done so.

So in short, FL half-asses something. I'm shocked. Also of note, I know more about lower league 1980s football than Steve Grant. I knew there was a niche there somewhere.

Edited by The9

The subject 'South Coast Football - Managers since WW2' cropped up on the final of Pointless yesterday. The three teams were Brighton, Plymouth and Southampton.

One assumes they didn't use Pompey because they've only been in existence a few years. Either that or they considered Pompey too pointless even for Pointless...

0c0ce49ff7a75142acf5cd2e746f1b33.jpg

Edited by trousers

The subject 'South Coast Football - Managers since WW2' cropped up on the final of Pointless yesterday. The three teams were Brighton, Plymouth and Southampton.

One assumes they didn't use Pompey because they've only been in existence a few years. Either that or they considered Pompey too pointless for Pointless...

Yeah I saw that and asked Mr TF why his team wasn't featuring. I'm proud to say I got 3 pointless answers -go me

One assumes they didn't use Pompey because they've only been in existence a few years. Either that or they considered Pompey too pointless even for Pointless...

The #bestest will be foaming at their #gaptoothiest mouths

What were the pointless answers - off the top of my head I can only think of 14 managers since the war?

They only listed the non-pointless ones and said everyone else was pointless. Basically, it was anyone apart from the 'big name' managers. Portvliet was my banker. :)

They only listed the non-pointless ones and said everyone else was pointless. Basically, it was anyone apart from the 'big name' managers. Portvliet was my banker. :)

Poortvliet, Wotte, Bassett I immediately shouted at the TV then did a short victory lap round the house.

So this weekend I have been attending a small event. One of the other attendees was a 15 year old skate.

I didn't particularly take the mickey or pay much attention to him until this morning when he decided to explain to me just why the skates are a much better club.........

I tried to be fair and honest until I was informed that 'Fratton Park is a Premier League standard stadium'

Once I'd stopped laughing, I politely asked why the young bestest of the bestest had made this claim to which his response was 'Portsmouth were in the Premier League so the stadium is Premier League standard obviously'

:mcinnes:

I really can't find the words to describe the delusion level. Apparently it 'won't be long' until the skates are back in the Premier League and 'stuffing Saints'.

So this weekend I have been attending a small event. One of the other attendees was a 15 year old skate.

I didn't particularly take the mickey or pay much attention to him until this morning when he decided to explain to me just why the skates are a much better club.........

I tried to be fair and honest until I was informed that 'Fratton Park is a Premier League standard stadium'

Once I'd stopped laughing, I politely asked why the young bestest of the bestest had made this claim to which his response was 'Portsmouth were in the Premier League so the stadium is Premier League standard obviously'

I really can't find the words to describe the delusion level. Apparently it 'won't be long' until the skates are back in the Premier League and 'stuffing Saints'.

If wishes were horses beggars would ride.

In other news, I parked my motorcycle near their timber tabernacle and walked down Fratton Rd to Southsea for the Great South Run this morning. Rosy cheeked urchins loitering in the car park admired the bike and stuffed pillowcases attended by other urchins were apparently guys for which their exhibitors invited offers of payment. Going rate was £1. I staggered round the course and walked back to Fratton, only to find the bike entirely unmolested and ready to ride home. Just saying the whole experience was quite life-affirming :) they're not all bad

Edited by Waterside.saint

I spent the morning supporting my wife as she ran the streets of portsmouth.

I amused myself as always by shouting 'red army' at those wearing Saints home, away or foundation shirts.

Ewan Thomas even waved back - and a tired man in the current away kit looked visibly motivated by the whole shouting experience.

Eastleigh through to the FA Cup First Round. Possible Hampshire derby on the cards...

Plus Basingstoke - they sadly beat one of our local sides Torquay whose nightmare goes on. Although I think I'd prefer Eastleigh as they'd beat them I think? Basingstoke would have more humiliation value in terms of playing them though.

Plus Basingstoke - they sadly beat one of our local sides Torquay whose nightmare goes on. Although I think I'd prefer Eastleigh as they'd beat them I think? Basingstoke would have more humiliation value in terms of playing them though.

Unfortunately they're probably going to have to draw a top-half L1 side (home or away, seeing as their form at Fratton is gash at the moment) or a fellow L2 promotion-battler to get themselves knocked out in the FA Cup First Round this year.

On the other hand, that puts them that little bit nearer drawing Saints in the third round than in the past couple of years when they've been so bad they haven't got close to playing us, and I cannot WAIT for that to happen, even if it is only a 1:63 chance when the 3rd Round draw is made.

For those remotely interested, the First Round draw is 7pm tonight on BBC Two and Radio 5 Live. Any number up to 48 gives them a League opponent (they're #36), anything from 49-80 is a non-Leaguer. I'd quite like to see them lose to FC United of Manchester, the best-known fan-run team in the country - though Newport might give them a game on current form too after a "4-1 in their own back yard" actually worth gloating about over Bristol Rovers on Saturday. :)

For local chaos, a draw against 66 Basingstoke, 75 Eastleigh, or 78 Havant & W'looville (or Cheltenham) would be the choice.

Edited by The9

I see a little bit of Saints' history is being demolished in pompey.

The Hard Interchange is being knocked down - including the cafe where Bobby Stokes worked in his later years.

But there is still NO sign of the sea being reclaimed, HMS Warrior moving or an 80,000-seater World Cup hosting Harbourdome going up on the site, as originally planned.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})