Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

In recognition of going past the 100,000 posts milestone, I have done a little research into one of the enduring myths as to why Southampton people are known as scummers. According to our fishy friends it is all to do with a strike being held in Portsmouth which was broken by casual labourers from Southampton. I could find no references to this myth but did uncover a story which sort of puts the boot on the other foot. Ladies and Gentlemen (and Nutjobs) I give you the true story of the 1890 Southampton Dock Strike.

Portsmouth’s involvement in the 1890 Southampton Dock Strike.

In 1890, emboldened by the London Dock labourers’ success of the previous year when they won the “Dockers tanner” (sixpence an hour), and by news of similar increases gained at Portsmouth and Plymouth, the Southampton dockers formed a union and decided to strike for more pay, shorter hours and recognition of the union.

They were duly offered five pence per hour for day work and sixpence for night work but were denied recognition for their union.

The men subsequently downed tools at midnight of the 7th of September and assembled in a crowd outside the dock gates, completely blocking Canute Rd and access to and from the docks.

On the 9th the strikers were joined by many seamen as well as “town roughs” according to contemporary sources and all work now came to a standstill. The police made repeated charges but were unable to clear the road whereupon the mayor – James Bishop – applied for troops and 280 men of the Yorkshire Light Infantry were sent over from PORTSMOUTH. The Riot Act was read by Bishop after which the troops attempted to push the crowd away with the butts of their rifles and later with fixed bayonets, but were met with volleys of stones, one of which struck the mayor.

There were calls for the troops to open fire but the mayor stayed calm and instead ordered the fire brigade to use hoses and a small area was cleared enough for the troops to occupy a passageway.

Some of the mob took revenge by rushing up to East St and demolished the mayor’s boot-and-shoe shop, while others went the next day to his house in Grosvenor Square where the troops stationed outside to protect it threatened to open fire.

Meanwhile some strikers had now gained access to the Docks from Southampton Water and the shipping companies appealed to the Admiralty who then sent two gunboats and a torpedo boat from PORTSMOUTH. The stand off came to an end when the shipping companies revised their offer which the strikers accepted “for the time being”.

Several of the rioters were given three months imprisonment, while others were fined or bound over. The mayor meanwhile was given a unanimous vote of thanks by his fellow magistrates but the strain of the dispute brought on congestion of the brain from which he did not recover for some months, after which he removed himself and his business to……yes, you’ve guessed it, PORTSMOUTH!

Duncan

To add to this, and more recently, Portsmouth Dockers broke a strike back in November 1976, if my memory serves me correct, which involved Brittany Ferries and their proposed use of non unionised labour.

Ironically the Soton Dockers were looking to support colleagues in Plymouth.

Southampton Dockers went en masse to Portsmouth Commercial Docks to show their dissatisfaction and the police were called to protect the Pompey Dockers.

The story made headlines in the Portsmouth News and the Echo.

A few Soton Dockers were arrested including the brother of Sam Charles the ex Saints keeper.

There has been some suggestion that the 'Scummer' taunt originated from around that date and was made up by 'Docker' Hughes and some Pompey FC supporting friends to hide their embarrassment about their behaviour and having to rely on police protection.

I keep meaning to fully research the event in the Echo and News archives but have yet to find the time.

Quite separately I was talking to someone a while ago who reckoned the bad feeling between Soton & Pompey harked back to the days when Portsmouth was actually in the County of Southampton but I think this is yet another myth!!

Duncan

To add to this, and more recently, Portsmouth Dockers broke a strike back in November 1976, if my memory serves me correct, which involved Brittany Ferries and their proposed use of non unionised labour.

Southampton Dockers went en masse to Portsmouth Commercial Docks to show their dissatisfaction and the police were called to protect the Pompey Dockers.

A few Soton Dockers were arrested including the brother of Sam Charles the ex Saints keeper.

There has been some suggestion that the 'Scummer' taunt originated from around that date and was made up by 'Docker' Hughes and some Pompey FC supporting friends to hide their embarrassment about their behaviour and having to rely on police protection.

I keep meaning to fully research the event in the Echo and News archives but have yet to find the time.

Quite separately I was talking to someone a while ago who reckoned the bad feeling between Soton & Pompey harked back to the days when Portsmouth was actually in the County of Southampton but I think this is yet another myth!!

This myth was invented by a skate fanzine back in the 80s, in reality it's a mirror opposite to the actual recorded facts as pointed out. There's also the Townsend Thoresen dispute where Southampton dockers went out on strike and TT pulled out and the scab skates welcomed them with open arms. If anyone's "scum" it's the p*rtsmyth scabs.

Duncan

Interesting stuff but I think you mean Bob Charles who died recently?

Duncan

Bob Charles lol and you have incoming :)

Duncan

It has never failed to amuse me the term ' scummer' . The stupid kid at school would always resort to a made up name that they thought sounded like abuse eg spasmo etc. Being called a scummer never worries me as it reflects more on the the person shouting the insult.

In recognition of going past the 100,000 posts milestone, I have done a little research into one of the enduring myths as to why Southampton people are known as scummers. According to our fishy friends it is all to do with a strike being held in Portsmouth which was broken by casual labourers from Southampton. I could find no references to this myth but did uncover a story which sort of puts the boot on the other foot. Ladies and Gentlemen (and Nutjobs) I give you the true story of the 1890 Southampton Dock Strike.

Portsmouth’s involvement in the 1890 Southampton Dock Strike.

In 1890, emboldened by the London Dock labourers’ success of the previous year when they won the “Dockers tanner” (sixpence an hour), and by news of similar increases gained at Portsmouth and Plymouth, the Southampton dockers formed a union and decided to strike for more pay, shorter hours and recognition of the union.

They were duly offered five pence per hour for day work and sixpence for night work but were denied recognition for their union.

The men subsequently downed tools at midnight of the 7th of September and assembled in a crowd outside the dock gates, completely blocking Canute Rd and access to and from the docks.

On the 9th the strikers were joined by many seamen as well as “town roughs” according to contemporary sources and all work now came to a standstill. The police made repeated charges but were unable to clear the road whereupon the mayor – James Bishop – applied for troops and 280 men of the Yorkshire Light Infantry were sent over from PORTSMOUTH. The Riot Act was read by Bishop after which the troops attempted to push the crowd away with the butts of their rifles and later with fixed bayonets, but were met with volleys of stones, one of which struck the mayor.

There were calls for the troops to open fire but the mayor stayed calm and instead ordered the fire brigade to use hoses and a small area was cleared enough for the troops to occupy a passageway.

Some of the mob took revenge by rushing up to East St and demolished the mayor’s boot-and-shoe shop, while others went the next day to his house in Grosvenor Square where the troops stationed outside to protect it threatened to open fire.

Meanwhile some strikers had now gained access to the Docks from Southampton Water and the shipping companies appealed to the Admiralty who then sent two gunboats and a torpedo boat from PORTSMOUTH. The stand off came to an end when the shipping companies revised their offer which the strikers accepted “for the time being”.

Several of the rioters were given three months imprisonment, while others were fined or bound over. The mayor meanwhile was given a unanimous vote of thanks by his fellow magistrates but the strain of the dispute brought on congestion of the brain from which he did not recover for some months, after which he removed himself and his business to……yes, you’ve guessed it, PORTSMOUTH!

This post should be cast in bronze and moved to post #100,000 (It's rightful place)

It has never failed to amuse me the term ' scummer' . The stupid kid at school would always resort to a made up name that they thought sounded like abuse eg spasmo etc. Being called a scummer never worries me as it reflects more on the the person shouting the insult.

To be fair to the skates , they have done a fantastic marketing job over this nonsense. When meeting fans of other clubs , they do seem to know we're "scummers " . When discussing football with other supporters they must spend half their time whining about us. It has happened to me a lot, on hols ect , get in a discussion about football and it comes up.

To be fair to the skates , they have done a fantastic marketing job over this nonsense. When meeting fans of other clubs , they do seem to know we're "scummers " . When discussing football with other supporters they must spend half their time whining about us. It has happened to me a lot, on hols ect , get in a discussion about football and it comes up.

Remember several years ago, before a derby game with Pompey, Robert Hardman, who had a column in the Telegraph at the time, sought to perpetuate the myth and also banged on about Pompey being a naval town and the navy boys referring to their merchant marine counterparts in Southampton as the scum that rises to the top of a wave, or something like that.

It was a poorly researched article but quite prophetic in some ways as it turns out!!

Remember several years ago, before a derby game with Pompey, Robert Hardman, who had a column in the Telegraph at the time, sought to perpetuate the myth and also banged on about Pompey being a naval town and the navy boys referring to their merchant marine counterparts in Southampton as the scum that rises to the top of a wave, or something like that.

It was a poorly researched article but quite prophetic in some ways as it turns out!!

Well scum does rise to the top..........same as cream :)

Bad news I'm afraid. They may be saved...

So, there's this young upcoming English Golfer. Eddie Pepperell.

He finished 26th in this weeks DP World Championship - only won $100k for his efforts. (None of this has anything to do with the phew, it's just the background)

On the Par 3 17th he hit a 7 Iron off the tee. landed an inch from the flag almost getting a hole in one but the ball then spun backwards and went into the lake.

In a temper tantrum Eddie hurled his 7 Iron about 20 yards into the lake.

As soon as he left the tee a lad dived straight in swam out, causing a delay to the next group, retrieved the club and dripped off before anyone could work out how the hell to call the (complete lack of) Security at the event.

You'll be pleased to know 1) He had only drunk about 5 pints before doing this and 2) He's a Skate

We found this out after he staggered past the Dubai Saints Massive who were chillaxing in Corporate after it all finished

hwd3yu.jpg

No doubt he will now sell it on Ebay and buy a whole new set of Wessex League quality players

Bad news I'm afraid. They may be saved...

So, there's this young upcoming English Golfer. Eddie Pepperell.

He finished 26th in this weeks DP World Championship - only won $100k for his efforts. (None of this has anything to do with the phew, it's just the background)

On the Par 3 17th he hit a 7 Iron off the tee. landed an inch from the flag almost getting a hole in one but the ball then spun backwards and went into the lake.

In a temper tantrum Eddie hurled his 7 Iron about 20 yards into the lake.

As soon as he left the tee a lad dived straight in swam out, causing a delay to the next group, retrieved the club and dripped off before anyone could work out how the hell to call the (complete lack of) Security at the event.

You'll be pleased to know 1) He had only drunk about 5 pints before doing this and 2) He's a Skate

We found this out after he staggered past the Dubai Saints Massive who were chillaxing in Corporate after it all finished

hwd3yu.jpg

No doubt he will now sell it on Ebay and buy a whole new set of Wessex League quality players

Very touching, Phil, almost reduced me to tears ;) At least he now has a new club to support.

Very touching, Phil, almost reduced me to tears ;) At least he now has a new club to support.

I should have thought, in the DP World Championship, the winner comes last?

Bear. I DID offer to give full behind the scenes reports and updates and pictures but the Bletch told me nobody cared anymore. Dude, you shouldda seen the 30+ female Irish contenders, not one of them was over the age of 24 either. But no. The Bletch spoke so I am reduced to encounters with a skate tales on here.

What REALLY hacks me off WG is that Mrs D_P had full access rights all weekend to take official photos of the event. The MONEY I could have made off The Bear & Tokes alone meant TSW could have bought nottarf and given the City the team they really deserve.

Most annoyingly about the golf stick thingy is that Mrs D-P had an "All Areas Pass" for the weekend and had a Big Lens with her. She saw the geezer getting OUT of the lake but was too late to take a shot (so to speak) and the professional Snappers reckon that one alone would have been worth about 5 grand.

Now IF I could only afford the fiver I could PM people the reason why "The Irish Kid & the Tennis Player" split up. That one IS worth some beer earnt me 5 pints last night.

Bear. I DID offer to give full behind the scenes reports and updates and pictures but the Bletch told me nobody cared anymore. Dude, you shouldda seen the 30+ female Irish contenders, not one of them was over the age of 24 either. But no. The Bletch spoke so I am reduced to encounters with a skate tales on here.

Now IF I could only afford the fiver I could PM people the reason why "The Irish Kid & the Tennis Player" split up. That one IS worth some beer earnt me 5 pints last night.

Surely these could be posted safely in the "General Sport" section. I don't think that Bletch is ar sed enough to police that bit. If not, make it into a spurious word game.

Go on Phil. You know you want to.

Yep cause they were all the stupid kid at school

Always thought Lee Holmes looked decent when he came on. Just very rarely came on.

This Holmes was quality, he was hugely impressive when he first made the Derby first team as a teenager but injuries have robbed him of a career. In the unlikely event he stays fit he is a cut well above that level much like Connolly. Wish him well when he did make the pitch for us he played well and was committed to the cause didn't he leave the pitch in tears after his knee went the second or third time as he realised his career was effectively a bust?

This Holmes was quality, he was hugely impressive when he first made the Derby first team as a teenager but injuries have robbed him of a career. In the unlikely event he stays fit he is a cut well above that level much like Connolly. Wish him well when he did make the pitch for us he played well and was committed to the cause didn't he leave the pitch in tears after his knee went the second or third time as he realised his career was effectively a bust?

Indeed he did. It happened ight beneath me and you could see him hitting the ground in frustration.

Good luck to him, wherever he goes.

Indeed he did. It happened ight beneath me and you could see him hitting the ground in frustration.

Good luck to him, wherever he goes.

I'd echo that, felt so sorry for him, has suffered some terrible knee problems which have curtailed a promising career. When he played for Swindon, a colleague said he was a cut above when fit and therein lies the problem. At Saints, IIRC he won an award in 2010/11 for his community work? So a decent chap as well with some ethics and integrity. On that basis, not sure he'll fit in at PFC

It is difficult to do. You cannot force clubs to show an interest in your players, it doesn’t work like that.

‘So far no-one has been in touch but I’m hoping something may happen and we can manoeuvre some of them out.’

If thats not a desperate ''we're open for business'' plea, I don't know what is.

So now they have added three loan signings Awful needs to unload...could be another hate campaign targeting contracted players in the offing: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/awford-keen-to-reduce-squad-size-1-6438634

So we'll need to keep an eye on who they are fielding for each match - to make sure they don't fall foul of the loans to permanent players ratio.

While they have addressed some of the debt, and despite their claims, the PFA charge would suggest they haven't cleared it all, I can't see that much has changed.

How many League Two clubs can afford a squad of 32? :o

Though they have done a complete U-turn in one aspect - we now seem to be in an era of quantity over quality.

I guess that is nearly progress.

It is difficult to do. You cannot force clubs to show an interest in your players, it doesn’t work like that.

‘So far no-one has been in touch but I’m hoping something may happen and we can manoeuvre some of them out.’

If thats not a desperate ''we're open for business'' plea, I don't know what is.

FFS Awfs if *YOU* don't want your **** players who the **** do you think will??

I think we've now moved up into the realms of 'quantity over quantity' to be honest.

And bringing in a total of six loan players when the maximum number in any match day squad is five does beg the question of what does actually constitute an 'emergency loan'. At least one of them can't even be an emergency bench warmer.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/awford-keen-to-reduce-squad-size-1-6438634

Spencerc

11:24 AM on 26/11/2014

Be good to see the back of Connolly but I suspect he'll be here until June spomging off our club.

It appears that one of the Skates has just realised that our David has been on a secret mission !

The fact that he has been their only quality player in the last couple of seasons seems to be totally irrelevant :)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})