A sad ending to my old ship...

.comsaint

Spent 3 years of my life on HMS Cardiff back in the mid-80's & have many great memories of my time in her - including two 6-month deployments on Armilla Patrol (the Royal Navy's permanent presence in the Persian Gulf) in '84 and '86 during the Iran-Iraq war.

So it's sad to see a few photos of the 'old girl' herself just prior to becoming razor blades!

Here's Cardiff and sister-ship the Newcastle moored awaiting disposal at Fareham Creek in 2008:

hms20newcastle20and20hm.jpg

Looking weathered and tatty:

hmscardiffrusted.jpg

Here she is anchored-off the Turkish coast at Aliaga awaiting demolition:

cardiffoffshore.jpg

And here she is about to enter the 'chop shop' itself:

cardiffatbreakers.jpg

So much for 'Turkish delight'...

:)

Edited by .comsaint

I completely empathise with you. This is what happened to my first ship:

336986912_d80c2c7327.jpg?v=0

lowest1.JPG

After the outrage of these pics they now remove the penant number from ships before using them as target practice. (The irony of this particular one being that Lowestoft was an ASW trials ship and was then subsequently 'taken out' by a torpedo.)

Pfffft

underpaid skimmer ;)

I could smell your presence on this thread before I even checked back here! ;)

And it is underpensioned ex-skimmer!!

Anyway, isn't it about time you went away in your little tin can doing 6 on 6 off for weeks on end? I am sure that would help out with your sleep problems! :p

Sic transit gloria mundi.

I always find it sad when any ship reaches the end of her career and I'm not sure which is the more noble end. Rotting away up some creek is always unpleasant. The upper reaches of the Hamble and other rivers are full of old hulls sunk into the mud with just a few ribs left poking above the silt, and when you read of their history trading along the west coast of France and Ireland it is depressing to see their current sorrry state. At least those that have been used for target practice have given useful information that may help to save the lives of future sailors.

What was the name of that old wooden warship that was scuttled off Portsmouth (in the 1960s?) ?

I could smell your presence on this thread before I even checked back here! ;)

And it is underpensioned ex-skimmer!!

Anyway, isn't it about time you went away in your little tin can doing 6 on 6 off for weeks on end? I am sure that would help out with your sleep problems! :p

Did 32 years on those little tin cans. The best time of my life.

The salvage of the German High Seas Fleet by Cox & Danks is an incredible story for those interested in such exploits:

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritish-Shipbreak.htm

And of course, HMS Vanguard:

http://battleshiphmsvanguard.homestead.com/DeathofaBattleship.html

There's a comment at the bottom about the steel being used for a whole-body scanner in Sweden.

Would be interesting to hear how many 'proper' seafarers remain fans of the Saints. We could even work out the proportion of such compared to the Naval stronghold down the road - don't think 'I'm saltier than you' has been done before?

My seafaring revolves around going crabbing once or twice I hasten to add.

On the subject of scrapped/wrecked ships - a few images of well-known vessels:

HMS Intrepid being dismantled in Liverpool last year:

hmsintrepid2.jpg

Her sister ship HMS Fearless (another old ship of mine) at the breakers in Belgium 2009:

fearlessc.jpg

The once-beautiful P&O liner Oriana at Wayou scrap yard in Zhangiagang, China:

orianaend01.jpg

The famous SS America as she was in her heyday...and how she is today - wrecked off the coast of Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands when her tow-line snapped on 18 January, 1994:

chanamerica02b.jpg

ssamerica.jpg

On the subject of scrapped/wrecked ships - a few images of well-known vessels:

The once-beautiful P&O liner Oriana at Wayou scrap yard in Zhangiagang, China:

I didn't know Oriana had now been scrapped. It was on the Huangpu River in Shanghai when I was there in 2001 - I think it was a floating hotel

I didn't know Oriana had now been scrapped. It was on the Huangpu River in Shanghai when I was there in 2001 - I think it was a floating hotel

On June 16, 2004, SS oriana was struck by a vicious storm in which she was badly damaged. She took on a great deal of water due to her being holed at bow that saw her lower decks flooded, and soon she listed to port. Attempts were made to right her and the owners even considered restoring her, however the cost proved to be too great:

22922598.jpg

On May 13, 2005 SS Oriana departed Dalian and was towed to Wayou scrap yard in Zhangiagang China where she was broken up:

70504131.jpg

40278691.jpg

25584148.jpg

85065419.jpg

31027012.jpg

10848781.jpg

12769332.jpg

22458663.jpg

79479241.jpg

I want to cry :smt022

Indeed - it does get to you somewhat - seeing these once-great 'queens of the ocean' suffering such a cruel and very sad ending. As an antiques dealer in old maritime/shipping items however - I have had the great pleasure of many wonderful old items from numerous ocean liners passing through my hands - including the Oriana, Canberra, Union-Castle Line, all the famous Cunarders and of course the White Star Line - to name a few. I have kept the odd artifact too as I am loathe to part with it - but just owning them for the short space of a few weeks even is very special. I have many reference books & old records which I often sit down with in the evening - with a cup of tea - and view lovingly! Today's ships (to me) are very luxurious inside of course - but they are not a patch on the liners of yesterday & the golden age of the ocean travel - the 1920s through to the 50s - when the vast majority of liners just looked so much more...majestic!

A truly moving and sad thread seeing how these grand ladies of the seas end their days. I shall never forget living in Hong Kong and seeing the Queen Elizabeth arriving for a major refit. Throughout all my childhood, like so many of us Saints fans from back then, I'd lie in bed and listen to her arriving and departing from the States. I shed tears several weeks later as she caught fire during the refit and tragically sunk right there in Hong Kong harbour, never more to be seen and worshiped.

800pxscan148.jpg

very sad indeed.

My dad used to work as a nav systems service engineer in Oxford street for most of these ships.

I went with him many times on these ships when away from school, etc.

It's a good thing the Queen Mary is still complete and only a few miles from me.

My dad's signature is one of the last names in the ships log and on view ot the public - spooky!!!

http://www.queenmary.com/index.php Worth a visit if in Los Angeles

Not sure that I want to know the answer to this, but here goes. Does any one know what the fate of HMS Tiger was please? My Dad served on her when in the Marines and did a world tour before i was born (pre-'64). He has some great old b/w photos of his travels plus a lovely old musly official 'Tiger World Tour' book, I love it whenever it gets dusted off.

I remember when you used to gover over into pompey on the M275 and over to your right was 3 diesel subs litterallt stacked on top of each other..

then you have a handful of old type 22 frigates tied up and rusting away

That's old Harry Pounds' yard. He's had numerous bits & pieces of military equipment over the years - some of it very interesting indeed - including much WWII hardware. I remember several years ago driving over the M275 - looking to my left as you drove into Pompey - and there were a dozen or so Cheiftan tanks all lined up in a row!

There are some interesting photos of his yard here:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=5126

I remember when you used to gover over into pompey on the M275 and over to your right was 3 diesel subs litterallt stacked on top of each other..

Oh - and I found this for you TDD ;)

On June 16, 2004, SS oriana was struck by a vicious storm in which she was badly damaged. She took on a great deal of water due to her being holed at bow that saw her lower decks flooded, and soon she listed to port. Attempts were made to right her and the owners even considered restoring her, however the cost proved to be too great:

22922598.jpg

On May 13, 2005 SS Oriana departed Dalian and was towed to Wayou scrap yard in Zhangiagang China where she was broken up:

Crikey - didn't know that. She didn't last very long at all. I remember doing some agency temp work loading her up ready for a world cruise, must have been about 1998, and she was quite new then if I remember rightly.

Crikey - didn't know that. She didn't last very long at all. I remember doing some agency temp work loading her up ready for a world cruise, must have been about 1998, and she was quite new then if I remember rightly.

It is a real shame. I always loved the Oriana - a real lovely looking ship - and I actually own a scarce launch brochure from the year she was originally commissioned & the year I was born - 1960 (probably why I feel an affinity with her!). Anyway - in 1995 she was sold to Chinese interests and then towed to Chinwangtao, China where she served as a Government owned accommodation center and hotel. The liner was purchased once more for $6 million in November 1998 by Qinhuangdao in North China's Hebei Province. Under tow again, ORIANA arrived in Shanghai October 1998, and was refitted in ZingHua Harbour as a floating tourist attraction funded by Hangzhou West Lake International Tourism Culture Development Co Ltd. After a US$3.5 million renovation, ORIANA opened to the public in the Pudong business district of Shanghai, February of 1999.

48993105.jpg

Above and below are photos of Oriana moored at the quay on the Huang Pu River at Shanghai in 2002 before going to Dalian. She's looks pretty sad.

29017563.jpg

Hangzhou West Lake International (which held a 85% stake in the ship), announced on the 15th August, 2000 that it would auction its stake in the liner. The remaining 15% was held by Hangzhou Jiebai Group Co Ltd, a major department store operator. During ORIANA's 18 months of operation and despite more than 500,000 visitors, the attraction did not procure the desired profits. The auction took place on the 28th September, 2000. Since that time she was closed and remained moored on Shanghai's water front.

On the 30th June, 2002 ORIANA was seen arriving under tow at the Chinese port of Dalian. Looking freshly painted and dressed over all the event was covered on local television. She underwent a refit before opening to the public in her new static role at the resort area.

Oriana at Dalian before the 2004 Cyclone hit:

31675150.jpg

Unfortunately during the storm in June 2004 her hull was holed and she began taking in water:

60456442.jpg

37693835.jpg

36425750.jpg

27735360.jpg

14261010.jpg

And a couple more shots of Oriana laid up at the Zhangiagang shipyard in China awaiting her fate, 2005:

16621467.jpg

65852096.jpg

Interesting to see the RN sub HMS Artemis in those shots. She was the submarine (of course) that sank whilst refuelling alongside the dock at HMS Dolphin submarine base in Gosport way back in July 1971. At the time my dad was stationed at Dolphin (he spent 26 years on subs) and I remember the commotion it caused at the time!

She was raised 5 days later & sold the following year to Pounds for scrapping.

very sad indeed.

My dad used to work as a nav systems service engineer in Oxford street for most of these ships.

I went with him many times on these ships when away from school, etc.

It's a good thing the Queen Mary is still complete and only a few miles from me.

My dad's signature is one of the last names in the ships log and on view ot the public - spooky!!!

http://www.queenmary.com/index.php Worth a visit if in Los Angeles

I was berthed quite close to her when visiting Long Beach on HMS Lancaster, which was quite cool as my grandfather worked as head chef on the Queen Mary for a few years (in the 1940's).

One of those was my last of 6 P&O boats, HMS OTUS, she was saved by the Germans and is now a museum, http://www.hms-otus.com/, still havnt managed visit.

I well remember HMS Phoebe F42, aka HMS Hero, my brother was serving in her at the time.