Ashes Build Up & 1st Test

St Chalet

Not sure what the site will do regarding an area for this but for now this can do as a placeholder.

This has to be the best chance England has had to win on Aussie soil. We seem to have a batting line-up where 1 or 2 fire on most occasions, the best spinner in world cricket and a winning mentality.

What could go wrong?

Has McGrath made his traditional 5-0 prediction yet, then I'll know it's game on.

The build up here in Aus to the forthcoming series is quite muted - much more so than the last series in the UK.

I think that the Aussies are genuinely worried that they wont win and despite the so far feeble attempts to wind-up the English team there has been little or no reaction which is great..

Really looking forward to the first test in Brisbane - I'm there on day 3..

My main worry is England's batsmen scoring enough runs. Think the bowling is ok but we wont get away with low scoring first innings like this summer against Pakistan. Just hope Strauss continues his good form as the likes of Bell and Cook have poor records against the Aussies. Hopefully Collingwood and KP will come good when it really matters as well. Not sure about Trott, he definatley has the bottle as proved in scoring a hundred on debut in the Ashes last test but struggled on tour in south africa.

I really do think we are going to win the Ashes on their own doorstep.

+1. I think we've got a great chance. Going to be pulling quite a few all nighters over the next few weeks. Wish I could be out there but bank manager says no!

Lol - as I may have mentioned a throusand times I'm working hard at the DWC golf this week.

European Tour weren't impressed when the 400 volunteer Marshalls had a vote and asked if the TV's in the Marshalls Lounge could be retuned from the Golf Channel to the Test Match for the first 4 hours of each day.

For the gamblers if bothered Kaymer v McDowell on the course - GMac will shade it. To win the tournie W******d, or Poults are up for it. Outside each way bet Harrington or a Molinari. McIlroy wasn't quite firing on all cylinders yesterday in the warm up but still a chance

260 probably about the minimum we can get away with and stay competititve, the tail did well to scrape up to there.

Gonna be tough now but at least we've given ourselves a chance for the rest of the match.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well our bowlers can do with the ball already swinging.

Yep, the first day of the first test...it's all over.

Yep, Alpine is being as reactionary and irrational as those saying the coalition is doomed for failure after the first few months of a 5 year parliament ;-)

(yes, I know Alps was being Tongue-in-cheek...probably...as am I....probably...)

;-)

I see we've thrown the Ashes away on the first day again...

stick to moaning about football

not a good start/first day but will reserve judgement until we've had a days bowling on it. keep them to below 300, fantastic. below 320, excellent, below 350...hmmm etc etc

I suggest you all look at what happened in the last Ashes series down-under before you accuse me of being negative.

This is an Australian team down on its luck, on a pretty big losing streak, with problems in its camp and universally dismissed as the weakest Ashes team in decades.

And we've handed the entire initiative and momentum to them in one day.

No chance will we get it back. The Aussies have got their tails up again now, and the result of this series will be the same as the last down-under : 5-0.