Kelvin Davis

SuperMikey

Saturday's game against Walsall will be Kelvin's 200th appearance for the club, including cup games.

Those who are travelling away to the game should be sure to give him a huge welcome, it's not often in football nowadays that you get loyal servants such as him.

SUPER KELV!

Saturday's game against Walsall will be Kelvin's 200th appearance for the club, including cup games.

Those who are travelling away to the game should be sure to give him a huge welcome, it's not often in football nowadays that you get loyal servants such as him.

SUPER KELV!

Didn't he have his 200th game a couple weeks back?

I seem to remember him putting a shirt on after a match with a bunch of numbers on it.

Fair play to his commitment, when we got relegated he had the opportunity to stay in the championship or go to the premiership as a back up keeper on easy money. However, for whatever reasons(probably settled family?, maybe loyalty to the club...) he stayed with us, and fair play. He has shown himself to be a true saint.

Can someone please point out a really brilliant League One goalkeeper we can sign who will keep clean sheet after clean sheet and assure us of promotion?

Having watched some 'other' League One games not involving Southampton I can guarantee you I haven't seen one that:

1. Doesn't make judgement errors (every game)

2. Is terrified of crosses when it looks like there's a challenge coming in.

This could be a reason why nobody has ever really heard of any of them and why the ply their trade in League One. Mind you there's a few in Premiership who this could apply to.

Can someone please point out a really brilliant League One goalkeeper we can sign who will keep clean sheet after clean sheet and assure us of promotion?

Having watched some 'other' League One games not involving Southampton I can guarantee you I haven't seen one that:

1. Doesn't make judgement errors (every game)

2. Is terrified of crosses when it looks like there's a challenge coming in.

This could be a reason why nobody has ever really heard of any of them and why the ply their trade in League One. Mind you there's a few in Premiership who this could apply to.

Every keeper makes errors. World Cup anobody? Nah, that won't stop the whingers moaning he is "the worst pleyer ever to wear the short", "not fit", "useless" or some sort of ridiculous comments.

But that's what an interweb forum is about - every ignorant dickhead has an equal say.

Fair play to his commitment, when we got relegated he had the opportunity to stay in the championship or go to the premiership as a back up keeper on easy money. However, for whatever reasons(probably settled family?, maybe loyalty to the club...) he stayed with us, and fair play. He has shown himself to be a true saint.

Only snag being that the FL don't give extra points for having a good bloke in the team. Bart must be

given his chance now, if he is not up to scratch either then Saints must buy a new GK in January.

Good goalkeepers give defenders confidence and confident players play a lot better than ones who are

worried that their GK could make a mistake every time the ball goes towards him.

Easily the best keeper in this p1ss poor league. Has been in superb form this season but unfortunately will drop the odd clanger and when you're in the sticks everyone will highlight it, speaking from personal experience you can have a blinder then drop one ball and get remembered for that one moment.

Name me one keeper who hasn't had a mare in his career...?

So Davis had a poor game, but remember all those times he saved us over the past 2-3 years

This.

Kelvin is consistently good between the sticks and has made some spectacular stops. I was infuriated with the ironic cheering every time he caught the ball after the debacle of the first goal.

He's the last man, if he makes a mistake or the ball takes a deflection off a divot and over his arm he doesn't have the luxury of other players behind him to limit the possible damage. Fortunately a KD 'mare is a very rare event and I would still start him over Bart.

It's high time to give Bart a chance.

So what if Kelvin's a nice bloke, it's not going to win us games?! He can't kick and has never been able to command his box.

Yes, he's a good shot stopper, but so was Paul Jones ffs

Of course everyone can have a bad day (about 10 others did on Sat), but the guy is not undroppable!

So Davis had a poor game, but remember all those times he saved us over the past 2-3 years

Good job people have forgotten he saved us a point in the very last game before this with penalty save v Brighton. He is defo gash though ey! Must have made him feel really good getting ironic cheers from our own fans saturday when he caught a ball after conceeding.

It's high time to give Bart a chance.

So what if Kelvin's a nice bloke, it's not going to win us games?! He can't kick and has never been able to command his box.

Yes, he's a good shot stopper, but so was Paul Jones ffs

Of course everyone can have a bad day (about 10 others did on Sat), but the guy is not undroppable!

I think his kicking has come on a lot in the last couple of seasons. Still not great from crosses but more than makes up for it with some outstanding saves. One of the better keepers outside of the prem IMO.

he hadn't dropped a clanger for a long time - but boy was it worth the wait when he did!

Keepers are judged on how few errors they make, despite Saturday he has a good ratio for us.

He's doing alright.

Luckily it didn't cost us the game, the other ten playing poorly ensured that.

Look at Gomes, cost his team a vital win yesterday, Green saw us out of his one and only World Cup, sh-t happens.

You obviously weren't at the Cheltenham game, your description of Kelvin above is exaclty how Bart generally played in that game, except his kicking was even worse.

I thought the defence looked nervous of him on a couple of occasions in that match.

He really owes us big time this week after dropping one almighty socking bollock at the weekend!

Kelvin we need you to deliver not stand still and shiver!

True he dropped one but it was really Dickson's fault anyway, if Alexander had caught it well it would have gone in anyway. Free potshot, 25 yards out shouldn't have happened. Blame Kelvin by all means but blame also the knob who let it happen.

Super Kel deserves a good reception, he was has been a loyal servant in the most difficult times, will always be greatful for the way he conducted himself in the summer of 2009 when his contract was up and the club were in administration, he just got on with things and waited around until he got a new contract instead of signing for a higher division club, you don't get many players like that now.

And I've lost count of the number of penalties I've seen him save in the last couple of years.

He's a goalkeeper mindless criticism from people who **** themselves at football games when a team needs a goalie comes with the job.

At any level too.

The first goal looked like me versus Nomansland and Landford - I was still reasonable good for the level I played in though. Everyone who played with me constantly reminds me of the mistakes I used to make and no one - not one person - ever says anything about the saves (and broken arms, noses and knees I got doing them).

That is life for a goalie.

for all the shots and pens he stops, he doesn't inspire me with confidence, the centre backs take charge more often than he does and he's supposed to boss the 18yard box and whats with wandering into the left and right fullback areas and kicking the ball so it stays in play instead of row Z.

had concerns over his form most of this season, we've had good shot stoppers before its where the ball bounces off him too that worries me and he seemed very statue like for the second goal

He's a goalkeeper mindless criticism from people who **** themselves at football games when a team needs a goalie comes with the job.

At any level too.

The first goal looked like me versus Nomansland and Landford - I was still reasonable good for the level I played in though. Everyone who played with me constantly reminds me of the mistakes I used to make and no one - not one person - ever says anything about the saves (and broken arms, noses and knees I got doing them).

That is life for a goalie.

Spot on. I'm guessing most of those critising KD have never had the balls to actually do the job themselves, as you implied, it's a thankless task. We all make mistakes, fortunately KD has made very few in the last few years, we are lucky to have him.

for all the shots and pens he stops, he doesn't inspire me with confidence, the centre backs take charge more often than he does and he's supposed to boss the 18yard box and whats with wandering into the left and right fullback areas and kicking the ball so it stays in play instead of row Z.

had concerns over his form most of this season, we've had good shot stoppers before its where the ball bounces off him too that worries me and he seemed very statue like for the second goal

If he stays in his box nobheads on here will moan than he isn't dominant enough, if he make row Z, samer nobheads will say he should have put it up the wing, or into space (ie gaps on the pitch, not the cosmos). As for the 2nd goal, there were 2 defender directly in front of him who should have dealt with it.

Get off the blokes back, and count you blessings he isn't bench warming at the Hammers.

Edited by Dimond Geezer

there's a time to be dominant, that isnt imo in the full back position with the full back in close attendance, yes there were two defenders, but then was the time for him to be dominant,two mistakes and yes he paid heavily for them , but doesn't avoid the issues which have been repeated thru out the season, if his name is first on the teamsheet each week where's the pressure to improve on aspects of his game?

don't dispute his loyalty or that he's a good shot stopper just there are weaknesses to his game and both were highlighted on Saturday

Easily the best keeper in this p1ss poor league. Has been in superb form this season but unfortunately will drop the odd clanger and when you're in the sticks everyone will highlight it, speaking from personal experience you can have a blinder then drop one ball and get remembered for that one moment.

Name me one keeper who hasn't had a mare in his career...?

David James

Personally I have to agree with those who think KD has been below par all season. Not shocking, but not up to the high standard he has set over the last few seasons. Bart has indeed made a few 'shockers' in the past and will deo again in the future. Lets face it Dino Zoff or Gordon Banks were not infallible. Perhaps maybe it is time to give Bart a bit more of a chance. Remember NA unlike us has not seen Bart over a few seasons so is not 'hampered' by his past form and only has what he has seen this season to go on. It is perhaps a bit of a gamble. An old trusted previously reliable player reaching the end of his career, or a young player with something to prove. Thats what being a manager is all a about. Personally I'd go with Bart, but thats what this game is all about opinions and gut feelings.

Kelv is not reaching the end of his career. Look at the top keepers in the premiership - Van der Saar (40), Brad Freidel (39) David James playing for England at 39. KD has a good few years left in him. It would be rank bad management to drop him, and I'm sure NA won't do it unless he has a succession of howlers.

Personally I have to agree with those who think KD has been below par all season. Not shocking, but not up to the high standard he has set over the last few seasons. Bart has indeed made a few 'shockers' in the past and will deo again in the future. Lets face it Dino Zoff or Gordon Banks were not infallible. Perhaps maybe it is time to give Bart a bit more of a chance. Remember NA unlike us has not seen Bart over a few seasons so is not 'hampered' by his past form and only has what he has seen this season to go on. It is perhaps a bit of a gamble. An old trusted previously reliable player reaching the end of his career, or a young player with something to prove. Thats what being a manager is all a about. Personally I'd go with Bart, but thats what this game is all about opinions and gut feelings.
Kelvin is the current 'Marmite' player in the team.

If a player was dropped after a howler then the team would be changed every week. Ox's missed header that he should have scored, Lallana not passing when that is the best option, the defenders who got in each others way all constitute match changing events. Should they be dropped on the back of that? i know KD's shortcomings but at present i would n't wish for us to risk changing the keeper. If it becomes a problem then lets try Bart, but at present he should have the gloves in the cup games so we can assess his quality, not in the important league games.

Penalty save V Brighton, brilliant save last kick of the game against Sheff Wed last kick of the game, brilliant save V Oldham last kick of the game. Just 3 off the very top of my head this season.

He's saved us plenty of points this season already and has been extremely loyal to Saints. He fluffed up in a game where no-one really turned up, yes it was the all important first goal etc but I am in no rush to have a go at Kelv. Think we're lucky to have him to be honest !

Penalty save V Brighton, brilliant save last kick of the game against Sheff Wed last kick of the game, brilliant save V Oldham last kick of the game. Just 3 off the very top of my head this season.

He's saved us plenty of points this season already and has been extremely loyal to Saints. He fluffed up in a game where no-one really turned up, yes it was the all important first goal etc but I am in no rush to have a go at Kelv. Think we're lucky to have him to be honest !

I've looked at the highlights and would say the flight of the ball deceived him because he's gone too far to his right and doesn't have his body behind the ball. Anyway as I said yesterday if Lallana and Dickson hadn't been such a pair of powderpuffs in the build up the shot wouldn't have come in anyway.I blame them more than Kelvin